Jackson, Mississippi

tombarnes

Having just moved here, I must say Jackson is a beautiful place. The city is beautiful, with lots of old trees and easy to get around. There are a couple of things I wonder about that I'm sure someone on here can answer.

1. There are no large city parks. The state park charges for its use, and after that the parks are all 5 or less acres. There seems to be a lot of land around the Pearl that could make a great park. Its all flood plain anyway, why not make it a park?

2. Crime seems to be way over done here. The large southern city I am from had double the murder rate, 25% violent crime rate and a comparable property crime rate. It seems as though everyone here is scared to death of living here. We have been looked at funny when we have told folks in the suburbs that we decided to move to Jackson. Why are people so scared?

3. There needs to be a central entertainment area. Was there ever one and will there ever be another?

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

AT&T Building Nearly Complete

The restoration of the AT&T Building on Capitol Street in downtown Jackson is nearly complete. Canizaro, Cawthon & Davis Architects have been responsible for the restoration of the original brick facade, obscured for many years underneath concrete panels. After Katrina damaged the panels, it was determined that the entire building should be restored. This is yet another small piece in the renaissance of downtown Jackson.

The Clarion Ledger

AT&T Building Nearly Complete

The restoration of the AT&T Building on Capitol Street in downtown Jackson is nearly complete. Canizaro, Cawthon & Davis Architects have been responsible for the restoration of the original brick facade, obscured for many years underneath concrete panels. After Katrina damaged the panels, it was determined that the entire building should be restored. This is yet another small piece in the renaissance of downtown Jackson.

The Clarion Ledger

Great local news btw! That woman has been an Anchor since I was a little boy. Good to see she's still kickin'. Is it worth 75 Million to you all to renovate this old building? Just curious.

Melton's actually in jail? Look what happens while I'm away from the news for a couple of days! I hope you guys can find a way to get rid of Melton. He has been nothing but bad news for the City of Jackson. Whether or not his heart is in the right place is now beside the point. Jackson must have a strong leader, but also one who is willing to work within the system to change things. Melton's tactics have not helped his case. I'll have to go catch up on the news at the JFP.

Melton's actually in jail? Look what happens while I'm away from the news for a couple of days! I hope you guys can find a way to get rid of Melton. He has been nothing but bad news for the City of Jackson. Whether or not his heart is in the right place is now beside the point. Jackson must have a strong leader, but also one who is willing to work within the system to change things. Melton's tactics have not helped his case. I'll have to go catch up on the news at the JFP.

The Flats at Fondren Place are said to be coming along nicely. This is a development around the old Duling Elementary School. It's being developed by the Mattaice Company. Jackson State is also going forward with a lot of development plans. Downtown Jackson is showing more activity than ever. It will still take some time, but I think that an important corner has been turned.

• 2 weeks later...

Now It's Ted Duckworth's Turn Through the Mill

Is the Melton administration trying to kill downtown Jackson? Developer Ted Duckworth has put together a very nice- and very viable- project to turn the old library into condominiums. Melton's administration is now saying that other bidders "may be interested in the property." Given the lack of interest anyone had displayed before Mr. Duckworth spent his own time and money preparing for the project, I'm aghast that the City of Jackson should be treating him in this disgraceful manner. Development must be encouraged in downtown Jackson. With people like Melton at the helm, it's a wonder that anything is being accomplished. The developments, it seems, are happening in spite of the Melton administration- certainly not because of it.

The Jackson Free Press

Edited by tombarnes