Wright Amendment

idunno

Should Congress repeal the Wright Amendment?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Should Congress repeal the Wright Amendment?

• Yes
    • No

Well, if you've lived in the DFW area for any length of time, you probably have heard the stories in the news about Southwest Airlines' desire to fly unrestricted from Love Field in Dallas. Because of this, they are really pushing to have the Wright Amendment (which currently restricts flights out of Love to Texas and a few surrounding states) repealed. Critics of this proposal state fears that this would seriously hurt DFW airport as airlines would shift more of their operations to Love Field. I know this is probably a bit of an oversimplification of the issue; I just wanted to hear some thoughts on what y'all have to say on this. Discuss and enjoy...

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Having lived in the MetroPlex for 12 years, I am very familiar with both airports. DFW Airport is the economic engine and the hub of the MetroPlex. Many people beleive that taking that position means a show of support for American Airlines. That is not the case. It means you support the oroginal vision that one airport for the region is far better than two or more airports. Everyone forgets that Ft Worth kept their end of the bargain and closed Greater Southwest International Airport. Love Field remained open because Southwest Airlines filed a lawsuit to keep the facility open. Southwest talks about the freedom. They have that entire freedom at DFW. Instead, they want a monopoly at Love. After 30 some years of a monopoly, Southwest supports repealing the Wright Amendment??????????? I like Southwest. I enjoyed the convenience of flying out of Love Field. I just do not beleive that it is right to have two full fledged airports within a couple of miles of each other. I support the original vision of one master-planned and designed airport for the entire region.

• 3 months later...
Having lived in the MetroPlex for 12 years, I am very familiar with both airports. DFW Airport is the economic engine and the hub of the MetroPlex. Many people beleive that taking that position means a show of support for American Airlines. That is not the case. It means you support the oroginal vision that one airport for the region is far better than two or more airports. Everyone forgets that Ft Worth kept their end of the bargain and closed Greater Southwest International Airport. Love Field remained open because Southwest Airlines filed a lawsuit to keep the facility open. Southwest talks about the freedom. They have that entire freedom at DFW. Instead, they want a monopoly at Love. After 30 some years of a monopoly, Southwest supports repealing the Wright Amendment??????????? I like Southwest. I enjoyed the convenience of flying out of Love Field. I just do not beleive that it is right to have two full fledged airports within a couple of miles of each other. I support the original vision of one master-planned and designed airport for the entire region.

First of all I would NOT call LOVE field a FULL FLEDGED airport. LOVE field has 32 gates whereas DFW has 166 gates which American controls 84% of. The agreement between DALLAS officals and FORT. WORTH officals and the carriers led to one HUB DFW. It's NOT that Southwest Airlines choose not to move to DFW. Southwest Airlines did not exist at the time of the agreement. Yet the Wright Amendment allowed Southwest Airlines flights out of LOVE field but with restrictions to within Texas and the surounding states, where is the fairness in that?? Southwest only utilizes 14 gates at LOVE field. If the restrictions were lifted Southwest Airlines would NOT monopolized the airport infact they would welcome other airlines like American to fly out of LOVE field. As a result is would increase competition and result in lower fares both at DFW and at LOVE Field. This is a win win situation for the american people and the airline industry. I have the upmost respect for Herb and his vision not only his company but the entire airline industry and experience. If Chicago and Houston can have two airports coexist complementary in harmony I don't see why Dallas and Fort Worth are any Different.

First of all I would NOT call LOVE field a FULL FLEDGED airport. LOVE field has 32 gates whereas DFW has 166 gates which American controls 84% of. The agreement between DALLAS officals and FORT. WORTH officals and the carriers led to one HUB DFW. It's NOT that Southwest Airlines choose not to move to DFW. Southwest Airlines did not exist at the time of the agreement. Yet the Wright Amendment allowed Southwest Airlines flights out of LOVE field but with restrictions to within Texas and the surounding states, where is the fairness in that?? Southwest only utilizes 14 gates at LOVE field. If the restrictions were lifted Southwest Airlines would NOT monopolized the airport infact they would welcome other airlines like American to fly out of LOVE field. As a result is would increase competition and result in lower fares both at DFW and at LOVE Field. This is a win win situation for the american people and the airline industry. I have the upmost respect for Herb and his vision not only his company but the entire airline industry and experience. If Chicago and Houston can have two airports coexist complementary in harmony I don't see why Dallas and Fort Worth are any Different.

I agree. Either Love should be closed or flights should be unrestricted. To allow flights only within a region makes no sense. It only punishes those of us in DFW, who cannot use Southwest as an option for national travel.

• 3 weeks later...

You've got to be kidding me. You can't possibly believe all that AA propoganda. The DFW MetroPlex can easily support two airports. Just like Chicago does and Houston does. The result will be lower airfares for everybody and a corresponding BOOST to the North Texas economy. Yes, the exorbitant airfares charged because of AA's dominance of DFW Int'l is a huge drag on the local economy.

Wright is Wrong! Set Love Free!

• 2 weeks later...

You've got to be kidding me. You can't possibly believe all that AA propoganda. The DFW MetroPlex can easily support two airports. Just like Chicago does and Houston does. The result will be lower airfares for everybody and a corresponding BOOST to the North Texas economy. Yes, the exorbitant airfares charged because of AA's dominance of DFW Int'l is a huge drag on the local economy.

LOVE IS SLOWLY BE FREED.

Now you can fly to Missouri and Kanas City from Love Field.

I know for a fact that when AA pulled out of Nashville, it ticked off the city leaders tremendously. Consequently, Senator Frist is bound and determined to get the Wright Amendment watered down (if not completely abolished) before he leaves office. He's on his way to doing so.

After all, the city is better off with SWA now.

"Consequently, Senator Frist is bound and determined to get the Wright Amendment watered down (if not completely abolished) before he leaves office"

The Wright Amendment was/is one of the most blatant pieces of outright protectionism I have ever seen. AMerican Airlines has enjoyed the benefits of this protective legislation for too long. Isn't it time they entered the real market? There is no reason why Dallas/Fort Worth should not have two airports. Living in Washington, having a choice of three airports has generally (if not always) kept fares down and choices abundant. American has not served the people of Dallas well. They may be a decent airline to fly, but their fares are rarely competitive on the routes I usually fly. Indeed, their presence is very small in the Washington market. Still, I would say that the competition from SWA is good. It certainly changed things up here. Look at BWI now....it's booming because of Southwest Airlines. Competition is good. Protectionism isn't.

Well, since I started the thread, maybe it's time to put in my 2 cents...

The more I think about it, I see that the situation should be like this...either Love should be unrestricted, or Love should be shut down to commercial aviation entirely. I know of no other metro area in the country that has an airport with legislation attached stating where commercial airlines could and could not fly. When I first moved to DFW, I wondered why this piece of legislation was in force in the first place...sounded awfully silly to me when there are other metros in the country with 2 or more commercial airports.

That said, I've come to the conclusions that (1) Wright should go, and (2) the way things are happening, it's only a matter of time before it's repealed. In my mind, the issue now is...is DFW better off having 2 commercial airports (Love and D/FW) with full service nationwide, or is this metro area better off having 1 large commercial airport (as I think was the plan in the late 60's / early 70's when D/FW airport opened)? I see arguments on both sides.

BTW--American will again be starting flights out of Love Field soon...does anyone find that ironic considering AA's staunch opposition to the Wright Amendment being repealed?

The more I think about it, I see that the situation should be like this...either Love should be unrestricted, or Love should be shut down to commercial aviation entirely. I know of no other metro area in the country that has an airport with legislation attached stating where commercial airlines could and could not fly. When I first moved to DFW, I wondered why this piece of legislation was in force in the first place...sounded awfully silly to me when there are other metros in the country with 2 or more commercial airports.

That said, I've come to the conclusions that (1) Wright should go, and (2) the way things are happening, it's only a matter of time before it's repealed. In my mind, the issue now is...is DFW better off having 2 commercial airports (Love and D/FW) with full service nationwide, or is this metro area better off having 1 large commercial airport (as I think was the plan in the late 60's / early 70's when D/FW airport opened)? I see arguments on both sides.

BTW--American will again be starting flights out of Love Field soon...does anyone find that ironic considering AA's staunch opposition to the Wright Amendment being repealed?

YES, I agree it's very ironic. But.....when it comes down to it, it's all about the MONEY $$$$$$$

AA round trip prices from STL to DFW are now $115!! $115!! For the past two years we have been paying anywhere from $250-400 for that trip.

[/quote

ahhh....don't you just love the power for competitive competition. BYE BYE Wright Amendment! HELLO LOWER AIRFARES!!! and oh I almost forgot, MERRY CHRISTMAS ya'll and HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!<:->

The amount of advertising going into this issue from both sides is astounding. Billboards, TV ads, print ads, radio ads, T-shirts - both airports and both big airlines are spending millions trying to steer public opinion.

You got that right...don't forget about ads on the sides of DART buses!

Well, I can't wait till next year when SWA flies to DENVER!! Time to hit some slopes

From Love Field?? I've heard nothing of any plans to extend the Wright Amendment to include Colorado...but hey, I'm not saying that it won't happen by next year considering the way things are going with this issue. :thumbsup:

From Love Field?? I've heard nothing of any plans to extend the Wright Amendment to include Colorado...but hey, I'm not saying that it won't happen by next year considering the way things are going with this issue. :thumbsup:

Oh.....out of LOVE field? That probably won't happen for awhile. You see Southwest bought ATA's gates at Denver's airport, so now SWA will starts flights to Denver in JAN. for the first time since like the 70's or 80"s.

I think eventually there will be flights to Denver from Love field one day.

• 4 weeks later...

Its not that I believe the AA Propaganda. I support the original vision of one regional airport for the Metroplex.

Given the current state of affairs, it appears that Dallas and the Metroplex will have two airports. That being said, I do ultimately expect that Love will be set free.

Ultimately, the City of Dallas has restrictions on the number of gates and departures per day at Love in the Masterplan. Also, the neighborhoos around, near and proximate to Love Field will fight to restrict growth.

• 1 month later...

You have got to be kidding me. This is not an AA issue, nor is it a Southwest issue. This is a Dallas-Fort Worth issue. The original agreement to build Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport so that the Metroplex as a whole could manage the expected increase in traffic provided AA protection from Love Field, which IS NOT EQUIPPED TO HANDLE THE TRAFFIC THAT DFW MANAGES. It's not even equipped to handle the traffic that would increase, should the Wright Amendment be repealed! Nonetheless, American Airlines relocated to DFW under this agreement, and only under this agreement. And then, suddenly, in 2004, Southwest speaks up in opposition? The Wright Amendment will not be repealed because of the destruction that will occur to the economy of Dallas/Fort Worth. The Wright Amendment will not be repealed because while air travelers may seem to benefit in the short term, air travel will not be more competitive with more bankrupted airlines and dumpy Southwest jets in the air. Love Field has no room for expansion, and much like Midway Airport, is a ticking time bomb-get it out of your head that this has anything to do with airlines, when it has everything to do with legally binding contracts, the health of the economy of Dallas/Fort Worth and the well being of air travel.

Keep Dallas/Fort Worth Strong!

It's not about the $$$$; it's simply operating within the law. See, American is not trying to modify laws to benefit the airline, while railroading the competition. However, in order to retain customers, it is imparitive to redeem service out of Love once again. American will make NO MONEY in this move; it's simply competing with the competition. 3/4 of travelers who utilize DFW live closer to Love Field, so to accomodate those loyal to American--very very smart move.

• 2 weeks later...

Southwest has always had the Freedom to Fly anywhere from DFW. Why are they so insitent on retainin their monopoly at Love? Sure, they can argue convenience to Dallas, fast turn around of their aircraft and their business model is different.

To me the bottom line is this: Southwest wants a monoply at Love.

Good for American to compete at Love with Southwest..

Eventually, the Wright Amement will fallor will be further modified to resemble the restictions at Washingon Natinal or La Guardia.

Archived