Major Mixed-Use in Manchester

wrldcoupe4

Heck I'm starting a new thread on the Major Mixed Use Planned for Manchester.

man I wish I couldve seen the news report. The Times-Dispatch has nothing on it yet. As Burt pointed out this benefits more than just Manchester. The 178 pieces of property were sold by the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts for over $5 million. As Burt said, this should help it nearly complete its fundraising efforts for its HUGE expansion which will make it a truly World Class art museum.

As for Manchester, the area comprises over 35 city blocks of old Manchester!!!!!!

google map of area

It is bound by Commerce, Cowardin, Riverview, and Bainbridge. There will be 4 condo towers up to 12 stories, meaning the condo towers will be on the scale of Riverside on the James. Not bad for Manchester!!! This is a good height in Manchester I think! I think the tallest buildings in Manchester are the Suntrust Mortgage hq at 6 stories. This will be in its vicinity.

Not to mention the Manchester Canal could be redone at some point!

I can't believe work will begin in 2 months. Ptaylor said "It was generally described as a mix of homes, townhouses, condos, and retail."

The views of the CBD will be absolutely incredible.

There are major projects literally occurring in every single part of the city. This truly is a Renaissance! :D

Wouldn't it be great if the suspended pedestrian bridge beneath the Lee bridge was extended to link to a newly redone Manchester canal?!

I cannot wait to hear more details. Every new project gets better and better!!!

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Heck I'm starting a new thread on the Major Mixed Use Planned for Manchester.

man I wish I couldve seen the news report. The Times-Dispatch has nothing on it yet. As Burt pointed out this benefits more than just Manchester. The 178 pieces of property were sold by the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts for over $5 million. As Burt said, this should help it nearly complete its fundraising efforts for its HUGE expansion which will make it a truly World Class art museum.

As for Manchester, the area comprises over 35 city blocks of old Manchester!!!!!!

google map of area

It is bound by Commerce, Cowardin, Riverview, and Bainbridge. There will be 4 condo towers up to 12 stories, meaning the condo towers will be on the scale of Riverside on the James. Not bad for Manchester!!! This is a good height in Manchester I think! I think the tallest buildings in Manchester are the Suntrust Mortgage hq at 6 stories. This will be in its vicinity.

Not to mention the Manchester Canal could be redone at some point!

I can't believe work will begin in 2 months. Ptaylor said "It was generally described as a mix of homes, townhouses, condos, and retail."

The views of the CBD will be absolutely incredible.

There are major projects literally occurring in every single part of the city. This truly is a Renaissance!

Coupe, regarding the boundaries, where is Riverview?  Is that the new road sweeping east from Lee Bridge to the SunTrust property?  And if so, then wouldn't the project include the area toward the river from Cowardin?  In other words, near the old Spaghetti Factory restaurant (now a public relations firm) and close to Beergnome's Legend?

I think the tallest building in Manchester is Overnite across Semmes from SunTrust.  It's 10 storys.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Burt...I had a link in my first post to a google map that gives you an idea of the scale and location of the project. Riverview parkway is visible in the map. And I stand corrected, Overnite is the tallest in Manchester, but its 9 floors not 10 :)

I'm beginning to think maybe the TV channels got this story wrong.  Not one word in Print medium?  Something smells!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

We know of a couple of developments in the works in the HR area that have yet to be broken by print media or the TV channels, so just because it has not been mentioned doesn't mean that it is not occuring. Simply because a lot of our forumers are from the development or marketing field we often know of projects sooner than they do. That being said I would be interested in seeing if this development:

1. Has an official name yet.

2. Has any renderings.

3. Has a website up yet.

The reason I ask these questions is that it would be odd for a development in such late planning stages (2 months from construction) to have none of these. That is the only thing that would lead me to question this.

Manchester is directly across the James river from the CBD (CBD on the North of the James, Manchester to the south).

These are pics of Manchester from Riverside on the James:

Suntrust Mortgage HQ (6stories), Overnite Trans. HQ (9 stories), RiverTowers (15 stories).

July31Richmond033.jpg

Here is the Southern States silos in east Manchester which are to be converted into condos in a few years.

July31Richmond034.jpg

here's one of the views afforded to you from Manchester:

July25Richmond017.jpg

Those 4 condo towers will have incredible views...

I don't know if any of you know this or not but the developer Robin Miller is one of the bosses for monroe properties. I just found this out yesterday when I went to manchester to look at the Manchester Lofts with my cousin. we should look at monroe properties website pretty often to find renderings but didin't see any yesterday. I'm sure there will be some soon.

This isn't exactly about the mixed use project but it is about Manchester emerging into a thriving soho-style arts district.

A sculpture invitational with works shown in Shockoe Bottom and Manchester will highlight the work of local and national sculptors.

Another thing I didn't know is that VCU's sculpture program is the best in the country. I'm not very artsy, but all of this is nothing but great news for Richmond.

[url=http://styleweekly.com/article.asp?idarticle=10851]Manchester

• 3 weeks later...

here's that map I was talking about... kinda small but gives you a great idea of the huge scope of the project...

Manch.jpg

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wish this map were bigger! But anyway, I can get some perspective. Thanks coupe.

If Lee Bridge runs north/south, then Semmes Avenue runs east/west according to this. You get a different perspective from aerial shots, don't you?

Archived