Major Mixed-Use in Manchester

wrldcoupe4

• 2 months later...

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From the proposal in Manchester that we discussed a couple days ago... here's what I found:

11 a. Public Hearing - Ordinance No. 2005-314: To authorize the special use of *** 600 and 608 Cowardin Avenue for the purpose of the construction of *** eighty-five (85) condominium dwelling units, ***.

AND

b. Public Hearing - Ordinance No. 2005-324: To authorize the special use *** as 700 Cowardin Avenue, 701 West 19th Street, 705 West 19th Street, and 1800 Riverside Drive and adjacent portions of closed City right-of-way for the purpose of the construction of up to two buildings for use as *** condominium dwelling units, ***.

The applicant has requested two companion special use permits that would jointly authorize the construction of up to three buildings for use as up to 250 condominium dwelling units in the two blocks bound by Spring Hill Avenue, Cowardin Avenue, Riverside Drive and West 19th Street. The descriptions of each of the ordinances are as follows:

Ordinance No. 2005-314 (special use permit No. 1): This ordinance would authorize the special use of the properties known as 600 and 608 Cowardin Avenue for the purpose of the construction of a building for use as up to 85 condominium dwelling units.

Ordinance No. 2005-324 (special use permit No. 2): This ordinance would authorize the special use of the properties known as 700 Cowardin Avenue, 701 West 19th Street, 705 West 19th Street, and 1800 Riverside Drive and adjacent portions of City right-of-way for the purpose of the construction of up to two buildings for use as up to 200 condominium dwelling units.

The properties addressed by special use permit no. 1 occupy the block bound by Stonewall Avenue, Cowardin Avenue, Springhill Avenue and West 19th Street and contain approximately one acre of land area. The property is currently vacant. The applicant is proposing to construct a building on this site for use as up to 85 condominium dwelling units. Special use permit No. 2 addresses the properties located to the north across Stonewall Avenue (700 Cowardin Avenue, 701 West 19th Street, 705 West 19th Street, and 1800 Riverside Drive). These properties contain approximately 1.3 Acres of land area. The properties are occupied by two vacant buildings, which were previously occupied for automobile sales and an upholstery shop, and two billboards. The applicant is proposing to demolish the existing structures, including the billboards and construct up to two buildings for use as up to 200 condominium dwelling units. The overall development contemplated by the two special use permits would include up to 250 condominium dwelling units.

c. Public Hearing - Ordinance No. 2005-318: To close to public use and travel a portion of Old Cowardin Avenue and two alleys in the block bounded by Cowardin Avenue, Riverside Drive, West 19th Street and Stonewall Avenue, *** .

30-DAY CONTINUANCE IS RECOMMENDED

This ordinance would close to public use a portion of residual VDOT right-of-way that adjoins Cowardin Avenue, Riverside Drive and Stonewall Avenue, and close two alleys at the same location. The portions of right-of-way to be closed contain approximately 42,825 square feet of land.

The applicant proposes to close the right-of-way in order to accommodate the consolidation of the block bound by Cowardin Avenue, Riverside Drive, West 19th Street, and Stonewall Avenue. Two companion special use permits would authorize the development of the consolidated property and the block to the south with an upscale residential mid-rise development containing up to 250 condominium dwelling units. The Commission recommended approval of a surplus paper that would convey City property in the same block to the applicant at its November 21st meeting. City Council continued that item to the January 9, 2005 Council meeting in order to allow for it to be reviewed by the Finance Standing Committee on December 21, 2005.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Okay, so basically, there is a proposal to build 2-3 midrise, upscale condos towers with up to 250 units in the area in question pointed out below in the google map:

Map of area in question.... It's between Cowardin, 19th, Riverside, and Stonewall...

I wonder if this is part of the massive Manchester redevelopment plan by Robin Miller, or if this is a separate development. If they are separate, Manchester may very well have 6 or more mid-high rise towers in the works!!!!!

***btw, the information above is in the public domain***

Judging by this map which outlines the Robin Miller plan for Manchester, I think it's safe to say that this newest proposal is not part of his plan:

Manch.jpg

The new proposal is to the West of Cowardin, while the older plan includes large chunks of Manchester to the East of Cowardin, yet nothing to the west....

6 or more new condo towers?!?! :w00t::w00t:

Wish this map were bigger! But anyway, I can get some perspective. Thanks coupe.

If Lee Bridge runs north/south, then Semmes Avenue runs east/west according to this. You get a different perspective from aerial shots, don't you?

Correction: I was misreading Cowardin as Semmes Avenue. I really get directionally disoriented once south of Lee Bridge. :lol:

Soooo! The way I now understand it is that once you've crossed Lee Bridge the new mid-rises will be on your right along Cowardin before you get to Semmes.

Boy! Those condo owners will have fabulous views. But I'll bet the residents of Springhill behind them will kvetch since their views will be blocked.

And what about that huge empty block bounded by 22nd, 24th, Semmes and Riverside Drive? Any plans for that plot?

The big church that wants to buy Cloverleaf is further down Cowardin before you get to Hull Street. I wonder if they have plans to develop housing in the corridor? They sure seem to have access to big bucks!

correct... as of now, there is a proposal for 2-3 new condo towers on the immediate west side of the Lee bridge. However, I'm not sure if they'll line Cowardin or Riverside... my gut is that they will line Riverside up to W 19th st. Living there would give you fantastic views of the city, the river, belle island, and hollywood cemetery!

keep in mind there are also 4 other proposed to the immediate east of the Lee Bridge (though I'm not certain of the location yet)...

correct... as of now, there is a proposal for 2-3 new condo towers on the immediate west side of the Lee bridge. However, I'm not sure if they'll line Cowardin or Riverside... my gut is that they will line Riverside up to W 19th st. Living there would give you fantastic views of the city, the river, belle island, and hollywood cemetery!

keep in mind there are also 4 other proposed to the immediate east of the Lee Bridge (though I'm not certain of the location yet)...

Awesome! I need to see some renderings...and soon!! I can't wait to see how Manchester is going to look when it's all done. Any timeline or date of groundbreaking on any of these projects? Hope it is sooner than later!

Well, the project that started this thread several months ago is a 10 year project (I mean heck, it takes time to transform over 35 city blocks! :w00t:)

No renderings yet, just a map showing the area affected.

As for this newest news, we have only been able to gather information from City planning commission staff reports.

I hope we can see renderings soon....

Perhaps we can get an idea on how soon we could see these projects taking off from someone that has an idea about how it all works...

How long does it typically take from planning commission approval to groundbreaking?

Well, the project that started this thread several months ago is a 10 year project (I mean heck, it takes time to transform over 35 city blocks! :w00t:)

No renderings yet, just a map showing the area affected.

As for this newest news, we have only been able to gather information from City planning commission staff reports.

I hope we can see renderings soon....

Perhaps we can get an idea on how soon we could see these projects taking off from someone that has an idea about how it all works...

How long does it typically take from planning commission approval to groundbreaking?

Who knows, but if they're going to develop 35 city blocks they'd better get a move on because 10 years is not a long time to develop that many blocks unless there will be a bunch of puny developments (few highrises - and that would chap my hide)!

haha well to be honest, I think the plan is to preserve much of what makes old Manchester, old Manchester. There will probably be highrises towards the river, but I think they want to keep the urban fabric pretty much intact.

A lot of historic restoration, good/smart infill projects, and then some new development. Height is good, but a functioning, lively, diverse neighborhood is something I'd take over height any day. :thumbsup:

haha well to be honest, I think the plan is to preserve much of what makes old Manchester, old Manchester. There will probably be highrises towards the river, but I think they want to keep the urban fabric pretty much intact.

A lot of historic restoration, good/smart infill projects, and then some new development. Height is good, but a functioning, lively, diverse neighborhood is something I'd take over height any day. :thumbsup:

True, true. Agreed.

there's also GREAT potential for highrises in and around the Southern States Silo property as well. A little farther to the east, but it could be a powerful welcome to many traveling on I-95.

True, but honestly, I really don't want to see the silos turned into condos...I'd much rather see a new highrise where the silos are. I kinda think that the silos are ugly. A better designed highrise would be even better, I think.

I kind of agree, though it would be a kind of interesting development to point to....

Even if they stay, there's plenty of room there for more high-rises on the property.

I hope you're right. I don't know much about that property other than the fact that those silos are freakin' ugly! :rofl:

eric... the southern states property is shown here... it's bound by E 1st St, Maury St, and the river....

While rail intersects the site, much of it could be used, at least IMO.

SS site

The Silos are right on the river bank north of 1st street. That google map doesn't show the Manchester canal, but I believe the silos are between the canal and the river. Also, the flood wall is in there somewhere.

The railroad track in the area is the one that will carry the TDX, but a northbound connection will have to be built in order for the trains from Bristol to access MSS.

apparently, an RCW poster that lives in Manchester has spoken to the developer of the Southern States Silo site... they now plan to tear down the silos.

It'll be interesting to see what rises in their place. I think it's another year or two before we'll see any work though because some company is still leasing the silos for grain storage...

• 3 weeks later...

Some more detailed information! Apparently, there will be a smaller tower with 85 units. On the parcel next to it, there will be 2 200ft condo towers with up to 250 units. some info (public information):

The properties addressed by special use permit no. 1 occupy the block bound by Stonewall Avenue, Cowardin Avenue, Springhill Avenue and West 19th Street and contain approximately one acre of land area. The property is currently vacant. The applicant is proposing to construct a building on this site for use as up to 85 condominium dwelling units.

Special use permit No. 2 addresses the properties located to the north across Stonewall Avenue (700 Cowardin Avenue, 701 West 19th Street, 705 West 19th Street, and 1800 Riverside Drive). These properties contain approximately 1.3 Acres of land area. The properties are occupied by two vacant buildings, which were previously occupied for automobile sales and an upholstery shop, and two billboards. The applicant is proposing to demolish the existing structures, including the billboards and construct up to two buildings for use as up to 200 condominium dwelling units. Companion surplus and closing papers would make a city-owned property within the block, two alleys and an adjacent piece of unused City right-of-way available for inclusion in the development. The overall development contemplated by the two special use permits would include up to 250 condominium dwelling units.

Due to the scale of the project, the petitioner has requested the flexibility of not providing detailed final plans with the special use permit request. As such, the plans are conceptual. Submission and approval of a detailed final plan, including site plan, landscaping plan, lighting plan, floor plan and elevations, would be required prior to the issuance of a building permit. The initial conceptual design indicates the desire to develop a three-tower concept, with up to two towers located on the properties addressed by special use permit no. 2 and an additional tower located on the properties addressed by special use permit no. 1. In order to accommodate the tower concept, an increase of the height limitation to 200 feet, as measured from a reference point at the intersection of West 19th Street and Stonewall Avenue, is requested. The building massing and scale, exterior building materials and setback from 19th Street would be consistent with the concept depicted on the plans. The concept does not contemplate the final exterior building design or site layout, particularly as it relates to the building’s aesthetic relationship with the Cowardin Avenue corridor. The final building design would be modern and would employ the use of extensive glass, concrete, and resin reinforced panel systems. The special use permit has also been amended to allow the use of pre-cast concrete, masonry faced panel systems or masonry materials if desired. A pedestrian bridge would be employed to connect the two sites and allow internal access for all residents to the amenities located on both sites. The pedestrian bridge would require encroachment approval.

The petitioner indicates that the condominium dwelling units would be a mix of one, two and three-bedroom units and that the unit sizes may range from 810 to 4,000 square feet. A minimum of 800 square feet would be required for each unit. Project amenities could include a business services area, including conference and workspace, for use by the occupants of the condominium dwelling units and their guests. In addition, an exercise room, lounges, meeting and activities rooms and other similar accessory common spaces for use by the occupants of the condominium dwelling units and their guests would be permitted. The conceptual plans also depict a swimming pool, buffered from the neighborhood to the west by a two-tier garden. Finally, the ordinance would permit the development of guest units available for short-term occupancy by guests of regular tenants and other incidental uses designed and scaled for the convenience of the occupants of the condominium dwelling units (shops for the sale of convenience goods, eating and drinking establishments and personal service establishments) subject to conditions as outlined in the ordinance.

sounds like a very good plan! It seems like the shorter building will butt up against Cowardin, at the southern end of the Lee Bridge. This should create quite a gateway!

Here's a bird's eye view:

Proposed Site

I also pinned the River Towers, which is only 1 block away to the west.

Best of all...

Given the unique site, its location on a key City gateway that is currently blighted, the quality of the proposed development, and other factors discussed above, staff is supportive of the proposal. Therefore, approval is recommended.

The Springhill Neighborhood also supports the development, which is just outside of the Springhill historic district.

:w00t:

Archived