Major Mixed-Use in Manchester

wrldcoupe4

A good welcome to Scootergirl and doserainbows. At least in your case, Scootergirl, we know your gender and it is a real pleasure to have a female's contributions. doserainbows, please keep us advised of progress at the Ballard Company.

Is there enough of a footprint at Eggspace to support a high rise?

Speaking of crime, a Ginter Park friend tells me that there was a rash of break-ins on Seminary Avenue and across Brook Road on one of those nice avenues. An item stolen from one of the Seminary houses was pawned and the culprit was caught on security tape at the pawnshop. His picture has been distributed by police around the neighborhood and no robberys have been reported since.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Ballard Co. That's the building I was speaking of at 7th and Perry. The name on the building always slips my mind...not that I don't read it 10 times a day or anything, sheesh. The guy with the clipboard wasn't someone I've seen before, and definitely wasn't robin miller. I have a recollection that he had out of town license plates but I may be imagining that.

I checked out the apartments at the Parachute Factory at 300 Decatur yesterday. Tell you what, squeeze is definitely the right word on that project. and perhaps an inability to do math. all of the apartments are the same price, which is probably in response to the goofy lofts in shockoe bottom that have eleventy billion layouts and prices. but seriously...the folks that end up with the small apartments aren't going to have room for a queen sized bed, much less a king. the rooms are so freaking tiny! the big places could probably go for more than $1100 but the small units...wow. being the first building in that neighborhood, I don't see them getting them rented for more than $950.

the renovations themselves are pretty decent and also fairly standard. I like the fact that the floorboards go diagonally instead of parallel or perpendicular. the beams and ceilings turned out well. huge areas of wasted space at the top of the stairs that theoretically would be for some common area, but when looking at how small some of the units are, it seems kind of stupid.

grin, what, you don't think scootergirl could be a boy? hehe. nope, I'm definitely a girl.

Well, you can't always be sure, scootergirl. After all, there is Dirt Woman. :lol:

I think one of the first commercial conversions in Manchester was near Legend's - about a block south and one or two blocks east (street names and numbers, as well as north/south, confuse me south of the James). Anyway, an excellent job was done on the buildings and the project operated as The Spaghetti Factory for some years. I think a public relations firm now occupies the site.

haha, thanks for the encouragement! we got a mean-looking dog and some blinds. I'm just *really* trying to avoid the unfortunate addition of bars on the windows...it just doesn't feel right on a storefront.

humorously, my yard is the site of one of the outdoor sculpture exhibition works this year, and a castle has been erected around my big tree. I think I may have to install a complimentary moat as well.

Are the sculptures in your yard the ones of the naked men that have become a sight-seeing destination treat?

Burt... is that the Carter Ryley Tanaca etcetc building?

That's it, Coupe.

Did your parents ever take you to the Spaghetti Factory when you were a little boy? You had to be very young because it's been closed about 10 years I think. Anyway, it had one of those "theme" interiors that were all the rage for a while. It was reasonable in price and kinda fun. They did a great job with the building and its car park.

• 1 month later...

Richmond IS an architectural playground... well was before the state said "We'd rather destroy some of that", the city said, "Us too!" and the evil developers said, "Let's destroy as much as we can!" But it doesn't look cubist, it looks like there are square holes in it. I've thought of something like it, but I sure hope mine looks better.

Richmond IS an architectural playground... well was before the state said "We'd rather destroy some of that", the city said, "Us too!" and the evil developers said, "Let's destroy as much as we can!" But it doesn't look cubist, it looks like there are square holes in it. I've thought of something like it, but I sure hope mine looks better.

Most of Richmond's developers are evil Shakman... put one next to any congressman and you could not tell the difference... both devils in the flesh.

Modern architecture is good but that... is like my sixth finger...

I think just the opposite...I believe EVERYTHING gets objected and nothing goes up anymore the way the architect originally envisions. Because of that, most buildings that end up being built around here end up looking like crap because someone always has to intervene and destroy the artist's vision of the project with their own, non-artistic, changes.

That's only true with Riverside having the residential building's top floors and roof lopped off... money I think was that issue... Main St. Center, I don't know why its twin wasn't built... but Richmond needs to shake the obsession with twins, it was finally successful in 1990 and that's all we need. Whatever is built on the Monroe's twin footprint has to be more modern than the Monroe or the Monroe needs a serious makeover to get rid of that brown and black. But look! Even the dismal Madison was made charming with blue windows. I still think my capitol design should be superimposed on it to return the temple to the hill although not THE temple. I like Vistas' original design better.

So if I were to plan THE ugliest building (give me time) for the skyline, I feel everyone will still back it regardless.

I agree with eandslee I think whenever the architect comes out with a Nice design someone has to screw it up with their non artistic ability. I wish we would get some better looking buildings cause most all the new developments other than Rocketts Landing and Vistas looks like crap. Like I heard from someone on RCW "The Buildings that get build it on NOVA blow the crap away from the Crap that gets built here" or in my words I wish people would stop screwing around with these architects artistic abilities. Cause I know alot of these architects wouldn't have buildings quite as ugly as whats around here to me I really hope someone gets it together and start accepting peoples designs than keep on screwing around with them.

It's not like JHolt doesn't read over here.

No, we have talentless architects here in Richmond. A lot of the ones that do have talent get passed over for the architect with the Soviet-era styled box who'd be cheaper.

Archived