Major Mixed-Use in Manchester

wrldcoupe4

This is really exciting news, coupe, and you've done a magnificent job in clarifying and pinpointing building sites. I notice that it still leaves a full block between the 2 proposed 200-foot condos and existing Riverside Towers.

I suspect 200 feet should translate into about 20 floors - about the height of Monroe Park Apartments at n/e corner of Belvidere and Franklin.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

this is sweet I can't wait to see renderings of these buildings this city is really steepin it up. Now lets see if we can get the R-braves hooked up with a new stadium but don't want to ger off topic thats why we have the off topic forum. But yea this from what it sounds is going to be really awesome.

I wouldn't mind seeing renderings soon. From the way the planning briefs read, it doesn't seem like we'll see good ones until the applicant gets a building permit.

The city does seem very upbeat about the proposal. The planning commission was very supportive of rezoning to accomodate the towers.

Seems like they have a few issues to smooth out, but I'm confident Richmond will soon have a developing southern skyline (south Richmond that is). :w00t:

December10-2005Richmond075.jpg

not the best angle, but to get an idea of where they will be...

the green arrow is River Towers, the yellow arrows highlight Suntrust Mortgage HQ and Overnite Trans. HQ.

The pic is taken from Oregon Hill looking south. In the foreground is Dominion's riverside complex, then the river, then Belle Isle, then more river, then where the towers would be on the south bank of the river.

oh and the red square is where they would rise!

Well coupe this is great now I really have a good idea of where they'll be now that you have pointed it out this will be great. Southside Skyline who would of thought. I'm also glad to see that this project is moving forward. I just can't wait to see renderings of the tower as well as construction on this whole project.

I'm not sure, but according to a Manchester resident on RCW, it appears that these towers may be called "Manchester on the James."

This leads me to believe that Daniel Corp may be the developer.

I know many of you have a distaste for their buildings as of late, but at least we know there won't be any financial difficulty getting the job done... a fate that several richmond projects have succumbed to lately.

Let's not brush this one off prematurely. They could produce a good set of towers.

• 2 weeks later...

Hull St Corridor Development Boom

check out the video too!

excerpt

Developers have some big plans for Richmond's Hull Street corridor. The most recent sign of progress: the old Anderson House has a new lease on life. It's been completely restored to its former glory and that isn't the only thing changing.

At the end of the Mayo Bridge, "Plant Zero" is constructing 100 studios. Plans are in the works to build 55 apartments and 30,000 square feet of arts related commercial space...........

• 1 month later...

Richmond Renaissance Updates!

This is for the massive Manchester development being undertaken by Robin Miller and others....

Within 6-8 weeks they will release their completed master plan for the massive site. They have more than 5.5 acres along the riverfront which are prime for several highrise developments. It was mentioned as an option for a new MeadWestvaco HQ as well! They also showed pictures of some of the small scale work within the project, including 3 new townhomes on Porter and Perry streets. Much of this project will include small infill such as that.

Richmond Renaissance Updates!

This is for the massive Manchester development being undertaken by Robin Miller and others....

Within 6-8 weeks they will release their completed master plan for the massive site. They have more than 5.5 acres along the riverfront which are prime for several highrise developments. It was mentioned as an option for a new MeadWestvaco HQ as well! They also showed pictures of some of the small scale work within the project, including 3 new townhomes on Porter and Perry streets. Much of this project will include small infill such as that.

It appears alll the developers are courting M/WV!

• 4 months later...

So if I can't get the house in Fulton... well my family won't visit me over southside... so... maybe Manchester after all! Don't ask me, we have a thing about south Richmond... we hardly go there. HAHA and you should hear the excuses!

new to this corner of the internet, but I've owned a biz in Manchester for 2 yrs right next door to beergnome and thought I'd let y'all in on what I've heard of late...

the building on the corner of W 7th and Perry (across from Thurston Spring and my shop) has had a lot of developer people in and out over the last two months. apparently they're taking bids on the various construction that will be done to make that building into apartments/condos in the style of warehouse 201 (polished concrete floors and the like).

eggspace (kind of under the manchester bridge next to legend) has had folks circling it like vultures, all with talk of putting a highrise there. I don't know who actually owns the space and who will get something done, but that many guys with clipboards means something.

I just hope that whatever gets done up here gets a move on rapidly, because we've been broken into and vandalized more in the last 2 months than ever before. I suppose that is Richmond's way...ground warfare while the neighborhood is re-established.

does anyone know how things went when the manchester folks went to city council wondering where the funds went that were supposed to construct a park?

Thanks for the update scootergirl. So glad to see a new user name on the forum! I'm a Richmonder who currently lives in Montana, so I don't have the answer to your question, but perhaps some of the others on this forum have an answer. Anyway, come back often and contribute when you can! :thumbsup:

That's a shame that you've been broken into so much there, but Manchester is "up and coming" and not "there"...YET! Thanks for being a pioneer in the area. Hopefully, it will pay off for you in the long run when all of the new development occurs and chases all of the thugs out of the neighborhood. Hang in there!

Hey there, thanks for posting! Feel free anytime. Interesting insight. I wasn't aware that there were big plans for those specific properties. When you say the building at W 7th and Perry, do you mean the one across Perry from Thurston Spring that takes up most of that block?

I'm not aware of the Eggspace place... any more info on it?

And you wouldn't happen to know anything more about the proposed towers at Cowardin/Riverside Dr/19th? Thanks! Hopefully the crime you speak of will subside soon!

haha, thanks for the encouragement! we got a mean-looking dog and some blinds. I'm just *really* trying to avoid the unfortunate addition of bars on the windows...it just doesn't feel right on a storefront.

humorously, my yard is the site of one of the outdoor sculpture exhibition works this year, and a castle has been erected around my big tree. I think I may have to install a complimentary moat as well.

I'm not aware of the Eggspace place... any more info on it?

It's the bluish-colored building that butts right up against the Manchester Bridge on-ramp at 7th & Semmes. It's an art gallery, studio/band space, and occasional music venue.

Also, there is work underway inside the WP Ballard and Company building that runs between Porter and Perry on 7th Street. My understanding is that a developer is going to squeeze 58 condos into that building! Several of which will only have access to an interior corridor, and no natural light!

Archived