Major Mixed-Use in Manchester

wrldcoupe4

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But isn't it important for the public or city planners for that matter to be involved in the planning process?

IMO, it's just a part of architecture, planning, development, etc... People must know going in that their plans or designs may need to be altered.

It would be a terrible day if we ever allowed total freedom to developers and architects for projects.

And we're all guilty of being a critic of something or another. Too short, too tall, too boxy, too bland, etc etc, we all do it.

But isn't it important for the public or city planners for that matter to be involved in the planning process?

IMO, it's just a part of architecture, planning, development, etc... People must know going in that their plans or designs may need to be altered.

It would be a terrible day if we ever allowed total freedom to developers and architects for projects.

And we're all guilty of being a critic of something or another. Too short, too tall, too boxy, too bland, etc etc, we all do it.

I think Shakman skipped a few pages of Jane Jacobs back in school :lol: Then again, it seems they plucked Richmond's planning dept. out of a 3rd grade classroom sometimes :)

Eandslee, I will say this... in the case of a project like Echo Harbour, the restrictions were in place long before this proposal came along. The height is restricted to 150 ft, and then the developer comes along asking for over 200ft. So can you really fault the city for expressing concerns about the request for 200+ ft?

It's not just you, it's collectively. If I like something everyone else doesn't, whenever I don't like something, everyone else does and then look at me like I'm an idiot, which... c'est vrai.

I had to enlarge the pic and the building. It doesn't look too far off as I said from something I had drawn once, but I'm sure mine is ugly. I'd like it better if the top 4 floors tappered inward and the cube protrusions were more orderly. It could be a really neat building... but come on folks... when do we ever see exactly as planned?

Large_ProjectMP_03.jpg

stackocards.jpg

I saw it. I wouldn't mind seeing Manchester sprouting towers.

You know that Philip Morris building on commerce is BEGGING to be converted for its beautiful view of the city is one of my favorite angles.

It was supposed to be converted. It stalled at some point though...or maybe not .... here were the details:

Pricetag: $25+ million

Completion: 2006-2007

Description: This 300,000sf, former Philip Morris cigarette factory will be converted into 225 apartments and about 40,000 square feet of commercial space.

from SMBW Architects

Does anyone know why this project is called "Manchester Masterplan?" In addition to the tower, the first picture on the website appears to include some very modern looking townhouses in the background. Is there more to this project than just the tower? Also in that first picture, where does the bridge from the tower connect to?

Archived