John Marshall Hotel

tombarnes

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I talked to the Hourigan guys, and they said to contact the owner, John Camper.. good luck even finding a contact #

Camper must be paying a hunk on taxes while the building sit there empty.

I'm sure the homeless who sneak in are not paying rent.

• 2 months later...

...new renderings?

johnmarshall.jpg

Tommy, I think others besides myself are confused by these renderings. Where did you find them? Has there been a release about work going forward? It certainly would be great news if true. Please see what you can find out.

PS: I really enjoyed meeting you and Coupe at the National Folk Festival, and was sorry you had to rush out after the Venture Richmond meeting. If I had known you were there, I would have detained you afterward.

Tommy, I think others besides myself are confused by these renderings. Where did you find them? Has there been a release about work going forward? It certainly would be great news if true. Please see what you can find out.

PS: I really enjoyed meeting you and Coupe at the National Folk Festival, and was sorry you had to rush out after the Venture Richmond meeting. If I had known you were there, I would have detained you afterward.

I was just browsing Commonwealth Architect's website and came upon these. Im not sure what they mean, but it was reassuring seeing these unreleased renderings.

And same here! It was awesome to finally meet you two in person. About the Venture Richmond Meeting, Im sorry I left early. Thursday night ended up being a pretty busy one. If they had it on the weekend I wouldve been able to stay much longer.

Hourigan was the construction company working on this project. In the past when I've asked them about it, they told me I would need to get in touch with the owner, John Camper of Virginia Beach, for more info. I have absolutely no idea how to get in touch with him otherwise I would.

Those are certainly nice looking drawings. I hope they are for a current project and not simply left over from something in the past. Please keep us up-to-date!

Sad to say, Tom, they are almost surely "left overs". Tburban found them in Commonwealt Architects web site which apparently has not been cleaned out lately.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hourigan was the construction company working on this project. In the past when I've asked them about it, they told me I would need to get in touch with the owner, John Camper of Virginia Beach, for more info. I have absolutely no idea how to get in touch with him otherwise I would.

Don't know if You've located him but he was in the Williamsburg area the last I heard. Is there any news since I've been gone???

Don't know if You've located him but he was in the Williamsburg area the last I heard. Is there any news since I've been gone???

Since its abandonment, seems to me I heard that he is trying to get financing thru other sources, but I don't think many people hold out much hope.

What are the chances of the city using its powers of eminent domain? I know this is an extreme measure, but it worked in Jackson, Mississippi with the King Edward Hotel. While the John Marshall is not in nearly the alarming state of disrepair as the KE was before the city took over the property, it needs to be redeveloped quickly- disrepair is only a couple of leaks away. Someone must apply pressure to the owner(s) to do something constructive with the building.

I keep harping on this because it makes a lot of sense in my mind:

I think The JOHN MARSHALL would be the ideal plan (short of a new building complex) for the VCU/UofR combination medical/legal "campus". Mr. Wilder talked up the old Murphy Hotel building for the project because of its accessibility to VCU Medical. To begin with, Murphy's is too small and secondly, the site has been spoken for by the State.

I've described how the space could be utilized by the universities elsewhere in this thread, but never get any discussion started.

Coupe thinks the old CNB tower, annex and arcade would be a good fit. And it would. But the JM, I submit, would be better from a standpoint of location, easily convertible facilities and residential housing for students.

Archived