John Marshall Hotel

tombarnes

Yea coupe I think I would like to see that too just think jemal could of bought it if this developer from VA Beach didn't buy it before him.

Hey all I'm new here. Who is jemel you guys are talking of ?

I am a banquet operator here in the city, and fawning over the thought of their Ballrooms being in use again

First, welcome to the forum. Personal website was deleted per forum rules. Please see rules for more info.

Also can I het the forums to start at the last entry and go back ????

Thanks all Rock on Richmond !!

You can go to the first and last entry very easily. On the left hand side of every thread you will see a box and there you can jump to the first or last page and every page inbetween.

Umm sorry if I offended someone. I saw that our Venue had been listed in the forums and was simply showing the website and mail address for our building in Richmond. I didn't post it for profit or personal gain other than I am a very proud Richmonder who is like most a working hard to make Richmond better. I only did it cause I was sure that I had seen some other posts that had thier sites or at least references to sites in the Richmond area

Our Building has been in Richmond since 1894 and surely was a valuable asset to the city, my references to ours versus the John Marshall was sinply due to the Styles of the Ballrooms being in the same genre

Sorry again

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A gentleman named Douglas Jamal owns tons of property in D.C. and has recently started buying buildings here in Richmond because he thinks the city is a hot market. Perhaps his largest local investment is the old Central National Bank tower on Broad between 2nd and 3rd streets which he is converting into Class A office space. He also recently purchased the building at the n/w corner of 3rd and Broad which used to be headquarters for the United Way.

Jamal was part of a conglomerate that recently purchased James Center and he has other properties scattered around downtown.

Hourigan Construction is supposed to be doing the renovations. The project manager over it has gotten rather despondent about it. He's gone from (mid-year last year) "the project is on hold but should start moving again soon" to (two weeks ago) "this thing is dead in the water, no idea when we're going to get started".

Hopefully it will get actually get going if the developer was leaving statements for the crowd yesterday.

• 1 month later...

haha me too! Hopefully the paper has an article on it soon.

I went by there to see what was happening after work Sunday Early am. There were 2 large semi traliers with what looked like massive hoses on the them aand waht looked like an air handler, just very large. As old as it is I would supose asbestos is in there and perhaps the slow down but just guessing. Anyhoo I'm glad to see them working on the old girl......

OHHHHH and wow the Berry Burk sign is so great to see again, I can't wait to see the Marshal sign !!!!! :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

• 2 weeks later...

Whoops! false alarm, best I can tell.... The hotel is actually currently being used for the shooting of Evan Almighty, the sequel to Bruce Almighty. Filming should last another 2 weeks or so. Steve Carrell (sp) and Morgan Freeman are in town... In fact, Carrell sprained his ankle while mingling with sheep in the street at 9th and main st's. :lol:

Whoops! false alarm, best I can tell.... The hotel is actually currently being used for the shooting of Evan Almighty, the sequel to Bruce Almighty. Filming should last another 2 weeks or so. Steve Carrell (sp) and Morgan Freeman are in town... In fact, Carrell sprained his ankle while mingling with sheep in the street at 9th and main st's. :lol:

Haha, I saw them filming when I was downtown! They had closed off a block somewhere around the Bank of America Building. There were business people (probably minor actors) that just kept walking across the street and in between the cars they had setup. Looked like they were filming some type of traffic scene. Pretty cool!

• 3 weeks later...

Is it true that reconstruction of the John Marshall was called off because on subsequent inspections it was determined that the building had fallen into such decay that total gutting would be required?

Well, here's my suggestion - again!

UofR and VCU, get together, purchase the relic and do a total update and redesign. Then move UofR's T. C. Williams Law School and applicable VCU schools into the massive structure. The huge ballroom, convention hall and other large meeting rooms would seem to me ideal for academic use. Imagine attending classes/lectures, etc. in a converted roof garden. And there is plenty of residential space to house students, professors and visitors.

And it is only about two and a half blocks from the new Federal Court House and close to Government offices and Medical/Biotech facilities.

Those who wish to save Murphy's Hotel should find another use for it, because no matter how much reconstruction is done on that site, it could not hold a candle to John Marshall's potential.

And, oh yes - the rooftop sign would have to stay and be illuminated.

Burt, where'd you hear that?

I thought I read it here, but I'm absolutely positive I DID NOT make it up.

Maybe it was in a Style or RTD article or on RCW.

Anyway, what do you think about my idea for the old hotel? Don't you think it has merrit?

I thought I read it here, but I'm absolutely positive I DID NOT make it up.

Maybe it was in a Style or RTD article or on RCW.

Anyway, what do you think about my idea for the old hotel? Don't you think it has merrit?

I was aware that Camper was struggling to get his financing in place for the project. My most recent recollection is that all of the hallways would be kept in tact, including many of the old hotel doors (even though most wouldn't be able to open). I'll try to figure out what's going on there...

As a UR student I definitely wouldnt mind living in the John Marshall!!! Good idea Burt, now if only the Trustees would use some of that $1.3 billion endowment and reassert UR's committment to this city!

Hiya Frankliner and welcome.

If the two Universities are serious about seeking a downtown campus to merge their respective Law and Medical schools, and if they are concerned about old classic downtown architecture, resurrection of The John Marshall makes a lot of sense to me.

I was aware that Camper was struggling to get his financing in place for the project. My most recent recollection is that all of the hallways would be kept in tact, including many of the old hotel doors (even though most wouldn't be able to open). I'll try to figure out what's going on there...

That business about the hallways and room doors is old hat.

The beyond-the-pale decay was reported recently - since I returned home from hospital. Sorry I can't locate the source.

Burt, where'd you hear that?

Hey all,

Burt,

Last time I was through there to snoop I came away with the thoughs that what the developer wanted to do would certainly require gutting. I read somewhere that the Lobby would be restored and the Ballrooms. But the majority of the place would be condo's with retail spaces available street level. I still think that the city should have done something to help this :cry: building before the Miller & Rhoades place, seems to me that M&R would be right across the street from the Marriott and they could have done something with that area , course just not the Market place of old.

On the Murphy hotel, I still the the historical peeps were good about resisting the leveling of the item. Lots of history and charm. Ok so it needs work after all theses year right ? Might I mention that New is not always built the best ( or at least in this town ) Look at the 30 year old ( I think ) city hall that is falling apart.

All of us of growing age need attention, why wouldn't the buildings.

Archived