Miller & Rhoads Hilton Hotel/Condo Conversion

tombarnes

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Definitely not a dream :)....

Leaders Gather at Site of New Hotel

I'd consider that a groundbreaking. I think my worth has increased 25 cents :lol:

The project will include about 250 hotel rooms and 150 condo units. It is expected to open in the summer of 2008 and cost about $95 million to build, an increase from $80 million previously cited by its developers. Preliminary site work is underway.....

In brief remarks today, Wilder recalled going to Miller & Rhoads when he was growing up in Church Hill.

"It was vibrant. It was the place to be," he said of the downtown shopping district. "I think we'll be recapturing that spirit. We'll be rebuilding the dreams that some people had years ago for the capital city."

Such good news!

Hilton development 'a turnaround': City leaders laud plan that will bring condos, hotel rooms, grandeur

The Hilton Hotel and condo project is another sign that downtown's revitalization is real, said William E. Harrell, the city's chief administrative officer.

"The core has had such disinvestment for decades -- not years, decades," Harrell said. "This represents a turnaround of that."

Mayor L. Douglas Wilder recalled going to the department stores along Broad Street as a child and said the grandeur is being recaptured.

"People are not going to be just passing through," Wilder added. "They're going to be living in downtown Richmond.".....

With the hotel under way, it's one block down, another to go for Broad.

I think within 5-6 years, Broad will be thriving.... it's already beginning to again.

Richmond.com has an awesome article on the project... it's worth reading every word!

Visions of Hiltons

So here's the facts...

When finished, the 480,000sq ft, $95 million project will have:

-A 250-room Hilton Hotel

-150 condominiums starting from the low $200,000's

-20,000 sf of retail space

The hotel and condos will have separate entrances, but condo owners will have access to room service and the hotel's fitness facilities.

Small excerpt:

Wilder said his determination was important for the Hilton project to become a reality. Once completed, he said the new hotel and condominium complex will act as an announcement of downtown Richmond's renewed vitality and residential viability.

"Richmond is not only a good place to talk about, it's a good place to live," Wilder said. "And when we see a condo hotel combination, it's advancing that people are not just going to be passing through but they are going to be living in downtown Richmond. That is significant because that has not been the case always."

Wilder, who lived in Church Hill when he was growing up, recalled that the area around the Miller & Rhoads building used to be a shopping and cultural Mecca for not just Richmond but the whole state of Virginia.

"I am personally proud because as a boy I would come to these buildings, to the Miller & Rhoads and Thalhimers [buildings]and it was vibrant. It was the place to be downtown," Wilder said. "To be able to know that people came from all over Virginia to be here...everything was here in downtown Richmond and I think we will be recapturing that spirit. We will be rebuilding upon the plans and dreams that people had years ago when we talked about 'the capital city.' When we talked about the city that was the gateway to the South."

Also, one of the key developers for the project believes that this project will spur further investment near the new Hilton. He cites the strength nearby:

"Virginia Commonwealth [university], your new BioTech, your Coliseum, your convention center, your medical college, your city hall and state government, the federal court system, the financial sector

whats that supposed to mean?

Given the off/on/off/on again nature of some projects here, I'd be lucky if downtown will be this glorious place. But it's good finally they're paying attention to the center city, but I am skeptical still. monsoon described what this city and others already are or becoming in the Jane Jacobs thread.

I need to look for mine. We read sections of it for one of the planning classes I had. I found the reading boring though... I'm not much of a reader either...

Like that book on Richmond's annexation in 1970... esssh I got the info I needed out of it but the in depth litigation portion in the middle of the book made me put it down and then later read the end just to see exactly how things really ended up. Sad I know.

Archived