Miller & Rhoads Hilton Hotel/Condo Conversion

tombarnes

According to Style Weekly, the drive-in entrance at 5th and Broad to the new Miller & Rhoads Hilton will be less attractive than the original rendering. Something to do with financial credits that limit changes to existing structures designated as historic.

Will this thing ever get off the ground?! And if so, what will it look like? Coupe, you may see the Tea Room revived.

:):)

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thalhimers was at the Coliseum Mall in Hampton (that's where I got my Jams swim trunks, Swatch watches and Calvin cologne...and I'd eat at the Sword and Kilt, which was high class for a teenager) until about 1990. I used to go there in high school (graduated in 1987). I'm pretty sure that there was one over at Lynn Haven Mall too, oh yeah and at Military Circle.

I don't remember M&R but there was a Nachman's (the Peninsula's equivalent of M&R).

Thalhimers was at the Coliseum Mall in Hampton (that's where I got my Jams swim trunks, Swatch watches and Calvin cologne...and I'd eat at the Sword and Kilt, which was high class for a teenager) until about 1990. I used to go there in high school (graduated in 1987). I'm pretty sure that there was one over at Lynn Haven Mall too, oh yeah and at Military Circle.
Thalhimers was at Lynnhaven Mall and Military Circle as well as Coliseum Mall.

After seeing Thalhimer's demolished, Miller & Rhoads looks so lonely and pitiful. They will have to be wizards to rehab that building and make it attractive. I never realized how ugly the newer addition is fronting Grace. Although it could be helped if the upper floor addition was lopped off and the cornice restored. The Broad Street side should lose the Art Deco panels and the building restored to its late 1800s charm. It was a really beautiful building!

I saw a rendering of the project in inForm magazine today. It's not beautiful, but it will be quite nice.

I've always found the Grace street portion quite handsome, and I look forward to the full restoration. Commonwealth Architects are involved. They have good taste and respect for the "Richmond" look.

Steven, the rendering you have seen in inForm is probably what we have seen here, but would you, nevertheless, post it for us?

The Grace street side doesn't look bad from the Grace Street side. But we're going to see the ugly backside of that addition more now that the buildings on the corner are gone. And the building still needs to lose the top floors! I hate when buildings that have additions that don't even compliment the original. Bring back the cornice!

I've always found the Grace street portion quite handsome, and I look forward to the full restoration. Commonwealth Architects are involved. They have good taste and respect for the "Richmond" look.

Steven, the rendering you have seen in inForm is probably what we have seen here, but would you, nevertheless, post it for us?

Certainly, Burt :)

post-1659-1136974637_thumb.jpg

The existing buildings are very nice. The part i'm not thrilled with is what they're adding. That said, I know if Commonwealth Architects are on board, it will look better than the rendering.

Agreed, gentlemen. This view is not a thing of beauty. But Steven, I don't think anything is being "added". They're just adapting what is there, and frankly, it ain't pretty from this angle.
Agreed. It looks like the back side of a Woolworth, and when you think about it, that's what it was.

I mean for them to take the panels which are cracking already, off. The original design of the bricks from the 1885 building is much more interesting.

I can't find my pictures at the moment. I do have one from one of the Richmond books but the scanner's down.

Cadeho... I've seen the original facade beneath the crumbling art deco one. I had no idea there was a different facade hidden beneath, but like you, I liked it.

Then what's stopping them from restoring the original building to its original condition?

What I meant was that the developer can't really make many drastic changes to the exterior that used to abutt Woolworth's due to the historic status. Thus, the less asthetic results. I wouldn't be opposed to tearing off the art deco portion, though I'm not sure if that is forbidden as well.

Regardless, the return of the Millan Rhoads (as sometimes Burt calls it :)) is a very good thing downtown. The benefits are abound. It's very important to Broad's comeback. So while a better facade would be ideal, I'll take the subpar asthetics and great functionality over an empty block.

Regardless, the return of the Millan Rhoads (as sometimes Burt calls it :)) is a very good thing downtown. The benefits are abound. It's very important to Broad's comeback. So while a better facade would be ideal, I'll take the subpar asthetics and great functionality over an empty block.
Very true. It was sad seeing that building decay.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived