Miller & Rhoads Hilton Hotel/Condo Conversion

tombarnes

At last!

They keep bantering the name Hilton around, so I gues that affiliation is a certainty. I'm dying to see renderings and hear details.

There's a rendering in the Richmond UP Project List. Check here:

Rendering

Scroll about 3/4 of the way down and there's a rendering of this project. It's not a great one, but it's one nevertheless.

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They'd better do the building right, because I really think it should have been demolished along with Thalhimers... and that's coming from someone who loves the original 1880s building at 6th and Broad which needs to take those ugly 1920s panels off. And with this building being converted, downtown loses space for big retail.

Guess what Steve? Those buildings didn't HAVE to be vacant! That's my gripe, but the powers that be said no one wants to shop in the city anymore. Malls rule.

And I forgot that Jefferson Square and Centennial are the big retail saviors of downtown way off from the traditional commercial street. What can you do with one block and a little sliver of a block? That doesn't make a retail center. And I am always referring to Broad, our city's MAIN street which no longer has space for any development of the sort. Remember, all out old retail spaces are becoming condos and offices.

For the love of God, if I had money I'd show all of you.

Guess what Steve? Those buildings didn't HAVE to be vacant! That's my gripe, but the powers that be said no one wants to shop in the city anymore. Malls rule.
Don't get me started. I could write a book about how upset I was that Rchmond's two best department stores squandered their futures by selling out to national corporations and effectively killled off Downtown Richomnd's retail businesses in their closure.

Broad Street was Virginia's greatest shopping street, period, and it didn't HAVE to die, but greed, neglect, decentralization, fear, racism, and oversuburbanization all took their toll. After being abandoned for so long, it had to be torn down. I don't like it, but that's just what happened.

And I forgot that Jefferson Square and Centennial are the big retail saviors of downtown way off from the traditional commercial street. What can you do with one block and a little sliver of a block? That doesn't make a retail center. And I am always referring to Broad, our city's MAIN street which no longer has space for any development of the sort. Remember, all out old retail spaces are becoming condos and offices.

For the love of God, if I had money I'd show all of you.

Bring it. What do you propose?

I said if. I am nobody and always will be nobody. If I had money and knowledge of business I would show that a place can attract and be successful. Downtown is right in the middle of the region. Every place in the Richmond area is about the same distance from it. Thousands of people live near it and have nothing to serve them. You don't have to have people living in a store to have business, the same way you don't need a million people crammed in a 3 block area to drive a business. Short Pump attracts people from miles away and a lot of people who shop out there don't live there. So why must people feel here that you have to have people living above each store in order for a series of businesses to open up? That isn't a "that's how it is" because they really can plop a place down somewhere and then create a destination and then other things come. Richmond may have lost population, but there's always been thousands of people living within miles of downtown. The industrial areas where there are apartments now didn't have people or need to have people for the shopping district to survive. The upper floors of some of the buildings didn't need apartments or condos. Why now does it need that? There is a whole area of people being neglected and untapped and people rather run away.

Whatever is placed there would be a drop on my tongue for my tastes.

And to go more off topic, wasn't the Burry Burke sign supposed to be lit this month? Or was that August? I drove through there tonight on my way to the restaurant at 3rd and Grace (an intersection where in 1993, a car ran the light on 3rd hitting me and my aunt in her giant tank of her 1975 Oldsmobile Cutlass... if it wasn't the Cutlass it was the 1973 Chevy Impala... our car was fine but the little fiberglass car hit the little building)... I wonder if this thing would bring life to Grace... although I'd rather see some of those buildings replaced.

I believe Downtown was published in the early 80s. It can be checked out from the library and my school had a copy, which is where I kept it checked out. Someone said they saw it on Amazon... I hadn't checked into it, but I'd like to have it... another book John Zehmer worked on. But I also have downtown covered... I've spent most of this night tracking down the pics (still wondering where some of them are). I will show the ugly ones. They aren't all graceful.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Finally! And it isn't May!

Miller and Rhoads conversion underway!

The sidewalks along Fifth and Sixth streets have been closed and barricades put up.

Yesterday, a generator droned as cleanup crews worked inside the vacant department store....

This morning, Mayor L. Douglas Wilder and others will gather at Fifth and Broad streets to discuss the plans and unveil a rendering.

By summer 2008, the corner is to be the main entrance to the 250-room hotel. Also planned are 150 one- and two-bedroom condos available from the low-$200,000s.

The project is cost is around $80 million.

Archived