How in the heck do YOU people get jobs

netagurion

So I sit here in my internship... facing my last semester of school and am browsing for potential jobs, and there are NONE here (in cleveland, OH). according to planning.org and planetzien.com there is just about nothing in ohio for a planner. what am i to do. where is someone like me supposed to look for work? do I have to move elsewhere? i guess i wouldn't mind moving except being far away from my family and such. what the heck can i do?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I sit here in my internship... facing my last semester of school and am browsing for potential jobs, and there are NONE here (in cleveland, OH).  according to planning.org and planetzien.com there is just about nothing in ohio for a planner.  what am i to do. where is someone like me supposed to look for work? do I have to move elsewhere?  i guess i wouldn't mind moving except being far away from my family and such.  what the heck can i do?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As I sit here in my internship.... I notice the same thing.

I think finding a job in a big city (such as cleveland) at the entry level will be hard. In my expirience, the bigger the city, the more qualified the applicants. I'm looking for entry level jobs and I'm focusing on smaller cities as I feel I'll have a better chance at getting the job, although I would like to be in a large city. I've noticed the same thing in Illinois. I've only found about 2 entry level jobs in Illinois all summer, whereas I found about 8 entry level jobs in California in the last month. Maybe I'm not looking in the right place? Anyhow... I guess I'm left with the same question as you... what can I do? I work hard everyday, and I'm left waiting on some planning agency somewhere to take a chance on me (I only have 3 months of planning expirience but I work hard and learn fast!).... So what do I do? I imagine I'm going to end up taking a job somewhere in the middle of South Dakota (or some other rural area) just in order to be employed. I guess you gotta pay your dues before you can get a job in a city you want to be in....

I continually think of moving to cali and starting there simply because there is SOOOO much to choose from. I am just not sure i can make a move like that. Eventually if I don't find anything I will have no choice but to move elsewere to get a job. Good goin' midwest.... driving the college educated out.

I would say you need to move to an area where there is a good bit of population growth.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

By good population growth you mean anywhere that is not the Midwest huh. with the exception of chicago and maybe you could group indianopolis and columbus in there somewhere.... maybe. I am always open to suggestions. help me out here ;)

thats quite the list there... guess how many are listed in ohioplanning.org??? 7 jobs listed in the whole state! oh yea and guess what one of those is in Indiana! so that leaves only 6 jobs available in the state. ohio sucks :angry: (sorry that was kind of a rant brought on by the previous post)

South east huh? I havent really given that much thought simply because i see a stereotypical slow paced southern city-life. I know that i am wrong for cities like charlotte and atlanta and such it is just that when i have visited states like north and south carolina it seems like the rural attitude presents itself prominantly to me outside of the immediate city.

thats quite the list there... guess how many are listed in ohioplanning.org??? 7 jobs listed in the whole state!  oh yea and guess what one of those is in Indiana!  so that leaves only 6 jobs available in the state.  ohio sucks  :angry:  (sorry that was kind of a rant brought on by the previous post)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sorry dude, just trying to help. I don't know if this even exists, but do housing development companies employ planners? You know, to design their planned developments? Is that somewhere you could get a start? Has the career center at your school been any help?

South east huh?  I havent really given that much thought simply because i see a stereotypical slow paced southern city-life.  I know that i am wrong for cities like charlotte and atlanta and such it is just that when i have visited states like north and south carolina it seems like the rural attitude presents itself prominantly to me outside of the immediate city.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'd recommend looking at Minnesota as well but, given your comment above, maybe the best way to overcome stereotypes would be to go for it and try living in the SE. It may turn out that it's the best place for your line of work, or that there is something about it that you love that you didn't know about before. B)

I am about to finish up a degree in Construction Management, but my true passion lies in urban planning planning and sociology. I may end up going into government or opt for a more lucrative position in the Construction Industry.

I found this website for Urban Planning jobs since I was interested in what is out there.

http://www.geocities.com/CollegePark/7442/jobs.html

I just put in a search for Urban Planning into Google. See where that gets you.

Another thing, try calling up cities where you might want to work. Ask them what they have available. I'm guessing not every city is putting all their job information online, or what is there may be out of date. Just a thought.

Right on..! thats the kinda info I am lookin for.  thanks aviankeahi! do you live in the SE and do you do anything related to urban planning and if so whats it like? -thanks :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't actually know a lot about the SE so my suggestion about going there is as much a reflection of my curiosity as perhaps yours. While a graduate student I worked at the Design Center for the American Urban Landscape at the University of Minnesota. At the time it was headed up by Bill Moorish whom the New York Times called "the most valuable thinker in urbanism today." He's now at the University of Virginia. (You should read his brief bio at the UVa website since it contains an overview of the type of work he does: http://www.arch.virginia.edu/faculty/WilliamMorrish/ ) Bill was one of my thesis advisors for the M. Arch. degree and I got a lot of valuable guidance from him. The Design Center is a think-tank that many communities around the Twin Cities often consult with when planning for their growth.

So you might also want to consider an Academic career in planning as an alternative to a Civil one!

Currently I am a project manger in a computer modeling and animation firm that specializes in architecture, engineering and urban planning.

Of course I would suggest Minnesota too! Sure, it's cold... but most of the time it's so cold you don't even have time to think about it. And before you know it the ice jams are building on your roof causing leaks, the rivers are flooding, and it's 70 degrees... but there's a blizzard in the forecast.. and it's May. UGh, oh well.

Anyway, if yo'ure going to be in the midwest, Minnesota is your best chance.. especially if you like anything outdoors. A lot of cities are looking for people like you because they are growing rapidly. But then again... you have to look around and decide what's best.

The biggest draw that Minnesota has are all you can eat lutefisk feasts at the local Lutheran church every year. :):):)

Of course I would suggest Minnesota too!  Sure, it's cold... but most of the time it's so cold you don't even have time to think about it.  And before you know it the ice jams are building on your roof causing leaks, the rivers are flooding, and it's 70 degrees... but there's a blizzard in the forecast.. and it's May.  UGh, oh well.

Anyway, if yo'ure going to be in the midwest, Minnesota is your best chance.. especially if you like anything outdoors.  A lot of cities are looking for people like you because they are growing rapidly.  But then again... you have to look around and decide what's best. 

The biggest draw that Minnesota has are all you can eat lutefisk feasts at the local Lutheran church every year.  :):):)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:D

Careful, you are scaring off the talent! Actually it only snows a few inches each July. August is downright balmy with temperature well into the 30's. B)

And Lutefisk is only required eating if you are Lutheran. Otherwise, it's strictly a diet of Walleye and Wild Rice for everyone else.

I grew up on a resort in northern Minnesota.. and every week in the summer we would do a walleye fish-fry for all of our guests (free of charge too.. that gets spendy).. with all the other great things that remind me of summer: Marinated vegetables, fruit salad, potato salad.. and of course... jello salad :)

Minnesota: Where rice can be combined with jellow and a dallop of mayo to make a delicious dessert.

Where you can combine all different kinds of meats, sauces, and noodles (or not) to make "hot dish".

Where bread is served with every meal. No matter what.

All the "Minnesota-isms" are great because Minnesotans read them and laugh... and are actually surprised that the rest of the country doesn't do the same thing.

Like the "well, (insert statement here), then" like

Elmer: "Well, I'm gonna go to da store then."

Doris: "Ooh ya.. good. Pick me up some jumper cables and a couple cans a' spam."

Or

Bev: "How far away is Ely?"

Martha: "Oooh.. about 2 hours or so (this is where it gets really Minnesotan)-- But yaaa.. dey are doin' that construction up der on 53 so it might be a bit longer." Completely oblivious that she gave the answer in time rather than distance.

Classic conversation at the grocery store (after Phyllis left the car running in the parking lot to keep the car warm and proceeded to shop for over an hour without a worry in the world)

Cashier: So how's yer day been?

Phyllis: Oh ya, real good der. You?

Cashier: Oh ya.. pretty good. Could be worse.

Phyllis: How 'bout this weather? (Notice the immediate turn to the weather)

Cashier: Oh ya, geeze.. I heard maybe 30 below ta'night.

Phyllis: Could be worse. Could be 40 below.

Cashier: Ya, I was tellin' Sarvig over there in produce I wasn't sure if my car would start up right."

Phyllis: Well... here, take down my number and if it doesn't start, I'll come and give ya a jump.

Cashier: Oh, I'm sure one a' da guys can gimme a jump. But thanks!

Phyllis: "Oh no.. I insist. I'll bring some coffee and bars too.. I been meaning to do some baking. Oh.. and don't fergit! All you can eat lutefisk and lefse up at Grace Lutheran on Saturday night. The Dorset community band is playing." (Which invariably sounds like retro country music with a tuba bellowing in the background.)

Okay, I could go on forever.

So I am not so sure how much i would like minnesota. sounds worse off than cleveland weather. Well i am not sure what i am going to do. I love the lake (the waves were really commin in last night) but i hate how long the winter is. I love being close to frineds and family but am affraid i cant find a job here when i graduate. is anyone else in this same kinda boat and offer me some advise. what did YOU people do to get a job.

All jokes and fun aside..

You might just have to get a job that isn't specifically tied to your major/degree. Many companies will hire you as long as you have one, no matter what it is.

A friend of mine that just graduated from college this spring already had a job when she graduated as a state coordinator for a company that administers certification tests to doctors and dentists and other professions. She makes a salary of $60,000 starting out and her hours are flexible. (The job is in Plymouth, MN, a suburb of Minneapolis). Her husband got a job as a firefighter in my city about 3 hours away, 4 days/week for $80,000/year.

They were just married and are already grossing $140,000/year as a couple.

That's why I would suggest Minnesota.. but if the weather is that strong of a factor, then I would suggest the southeast. The jobs seem to be plentiful there with nicer weather, and you'd still be somewhat close to your family.

You don't necassarily have to land a job in your field right out of college. I would suggest living where you want to live or in a place that interests you and find a job in the meantime to get by. You've got all the time in the world to meet people and learn about opportunities. Good jobs will come but maybe not right away. Sometimes, a few years of work experience makes you more desirable than being a recent grad.

Also, depending on your major, it may be easier to find a professional level job outside of a big city because there is more demand for people with advanced education and diverse skills in rural areas. So maybe you have to work in a place you may not be initially interested in to gain experience in your field.

Anyway, good luck to all you college graduates out there. It's not easy but be patient and good things will come.

I too, am sitting in my internship looking for jobs for when I graduate in December. I've found that Urban Planning Job Website to be very helpful, as well as the APA Jobs and Careers Section. Seems like there are a lot of entry level positions in Florida (inner Florida, though, not the coast) for some reason. I also found some at various state DOT's. Also register with the USDOT's quickhire thing, they'll email you jobs if and when they open up based on the criteria you enter.

If I'm lucky my stupid internship will just hire me full time, but who knows, when you work for the State of Rhode Island, it seems like you have to be connected somehow to get anywhere...

Recchia- If your internship does not offer you a position do you think you will move, because i am in the EXACT same position. I feel like right now nothing is certain because the job market for planners and the like is pretty non-existant. I also frequent the planning websites and think in order to get a job i will have to move but I am not so sure i am ready to move.

Recchia-  If your internship does not offer you a position do you think you will move, because i am in the EXACT same position.  I feel like right now nothing is certain because the job market for planners and the like is pretty non-existant.  I also frequent the planning websites and think in order to get a job i will have to move but I am not so sure i am ready to move.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've recently decided that I will go wherever I can find a job, as long as it is in one of the cities I have chosen, of which there are plenty. If I had to choose between being a planner in a small town in Oklahoma though or just sitting here for a while and waiting for something to pop up, I would definitely rather just wait...

Man....

The city where I have my internship recently had two entry level positions open in the planning department, and both times they gave the nod to someone else. Talk about frustrating. And everyday they tell me I'm doing a good job; I haven't seen any signals on their part that I'm underperforming.

So what do I do? I can't even get my foot in the door anywhere, even where I'm already working and have an advantage over anyone that applies because I know the job and the city. It just kills my moral.

I'll take a job anywhere. Even in a small town in Oklahoma...

But with my luck that job will go to someone else too...

And someone tell me this, why is it that I've seen so many entry level jobs that require 1+ years of expirience? If you need someone with so much expirience, maybe you shouldn't call the job entry level....

And someone tell me this, why is it that I've seen so many entry level jobs that require 1+ years of expirience?  If you need someone with so much expirience, maybe you shouldn't call the job entry level....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No sh!t, right! Every "entry level" job I've seen still requires at least a year of experience...or a master's degree. Unless I can count two summer internships as a year then I'm screwed, because I cannot afford grad school right now. Looks like unless I get my master's degree I'll be working in retail the rest of my life and continue to be a poor beotch...

Archived