Eola Place/Thornton Commons

Jaybee

Its still 5 floors difference and the buildings did change from the initial plan. Initially, the 20 story curved building was next to the Jackson curving towards S. Eola Drive (now the other way around on north block curving towards S. Osceola) and the other 16 story building was more dense taking up more of the north block. I am only saying i liked the initial proposal. I have no power...i am only blogging away my frustrations. :w00t:;):whistling:

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not arguing that the height of the Phase II building has not changed, just that the footprints of the two buildings, locations, and orientations of both remain unchanged since the first rendering we saw on here posted by Jaybee on July 27, 2005. Here it is again:

ThorntonCommons.jpg

The 20-story building has always been designed to be on the block opposite The Jackson, the direction of its curve has not changed, and the Phase 2 building always wrapped around The Jackson on the same size footprint, so it never occupied more of the block, it was just 5-stories taller in the initial renderings.

firemick, notice that in the picture you've posted, the Jackson is in the upper right hand corner behind the smaller building, and this is a view from Osceola Ave while the others are from Eola.

See last pic from my last post its the white pad is where the Jackson is. I am not trying to argue with you guys as i respect you and Bics input (actually look forward to your posts) but i think i am right here. Where is Dale when we need him! :wacko:

That white patch exists because the building wraps around several existing structures (those old multi-story residences that are currently being renovated). Since they are not BBArch designs, the firm chose not to model them as they did with The Jackson.

Here's a shot of the area looking southeast. You can see how the 20-story building will wrap around the existing structures I mentioned above. Furthermore, you can spot a sliver of the orange Jackson poking up from behind the Phase 2 building across the street.

thorntoncommons3pq.jpg

• 2 months later...

The NameThatBuilding.com contest is over and the new name for Thornton Commons/Colonnades is "Eola Place." Original, eh? Hopefully the winning contestant is a member of this forum.

Not only does the project have a new name, it has a new web site. Check it out at EolaPlace.com.

Apparently Phase I of this development is not going to be the taller north tower anymore, but the smaller 195-unit south building that will wrap around The Jackson. The ground floor retail space will likely include an upscale cigar/martini bar and a quaint restaurant/deli.

eolaplace4ny.jpg

When I clicked on the link for prospective buyers, there's a form where you can add all of your info.

Among the questions asked is: What is your price range?

The drop-down menu gives you three choices: $250K+, $300K+ and $350K+.

So much for "high rise urban luxury without the sky scraping high rise price tag."

Since we're on the subject of what we submitted, mine was 'Aeris.'

All of your suggestions sound a great deal more exciting and inviting than 'Eola Place'...pardon my skepticism, but I wouldn't be surprised if the two-months free rent reward for the winner of the naming competition was nothing more than an empty publicity stunt. We probably gaurenteed this place to have a boring name because they couldn't use any of the names we submitted or someone would've actually won the contest.

All of your suggestions sound a great deal more exciting and inviting than 'Eola Place'...pardon my skepticism, but I wouldn't be surprised if the two-months free rent reward for the winner of the naming competition was nothing more than an empty publicity stunt. We probably gaurenteed this place to have a boring name because they couldn't use any of the names we submitted or someone would've actually won the contest.

Yea, and they can't have "po' folk like me all up in dare. me an' mah duling ban-jos :whistling: "

I must admit I do like what this project will do for the area. The design gives the space a lot of density and is appealing to the eye. Curvature and varied shapes--- something PBLT is currently lacking.

Off topic, but in the area--- What does everyone think of the sound walls as they're coming along the 408? I miss my views of what's going on down there when driving (Oh wait, is that why they put the walls up?).

I must admit I do like what this project will do for the area. The design gives the space a lot of density and is appealing to the eye. Curvature and varied shapes--- something PBLT is currently lacking.

Off topic, but in the area--- What does everyone think of the sound walls as they're coming along the 408? I miss my views of what's going on down there when driving (Oh wait, is that why they put the walls up?).

Well, virtually anything would fit in better in the Eola Place space than the PBLT space, but clearly there is not question about which one is more important. Lets just hope PBLT actually comes to fruitation as it seems much more of a gamble.

btw, the whole 408 wall discussion is just a few pages back on this same thread.

When I clicked on the link for prospective buyers, there's a form where you can add all of your info.

Among the questions asked is: What is your price range?

The drop-down menu gives you three choices: $250K+, $300K+ and $350K+.

So much for "high rise urban luxury without the sky scraping high rise price tag."

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but it isin't really coincidence that they all but scrap the larger building and raise prices in the other.

Archived