Hampton Roads Congress for Urban Development

mercuex

I was going to email Vdogg about this to gauge his reaction first ... but I figured maybe it would be worth going and asking everyone's opinion at once and see if it's plausible (which i think it is).

We have been discussing for awhile now about doing a meetup and nothing has never entirely materialized ... but what if we were to do like a monthly or bi-monthly meetup on a saturday somewhere as the nucleus for something greater. We all have a ton of ideas and we all bring a number of talents and professions and, most importantly, a sincere passion for our region and its development. What if we could channel it further as some kind of grassroots organization?

We could meet, have an exec board or something, do resolutions, canvass, do OP-Eds in local papers all with a unified voice. Not only would it give more credence to our little cabal here on UrbanPlanet, but it might foment some badly needed change in our proud 757.

So if you think this is a good idea, a bad idea, a doable idea, a completely preposterous idea, let me know. Maybe we can agree on something. Maybe we can't. But I think if we pool our ideas and talents, maybe we can make something happen that couldn't before.

Let's get those ideas rolling.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was thinking the same thing. I was wondering what we could do to help or change the 757 region. Maybe this is a way that we can. We could get the cities involved with us and share our concerns with them and with anyone willing to participate. What does everyone think about this? I think we do need to get more involved in our region and I think that we can make a difference too!

I don't know maybe we can meet at baxter's when it opens up in September and we can catch some football and discuss what we might try to do! Nothing like beer and football :thumbsup:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

"OT"

Is that what "baxters" is?

Man, ive seen that sign (on some drunkin' Granby nights) and was wondering what that was. is it gonna be a sports bar? what else do you know about it? how big? any specifics(sp?) about whats inside?

"OT"

Is that what "baxters" is?

Man, ive seen that sign (on some drunkin' Granby nights) and was wondering what that was. is it gonna be a sports bar? what else do you know about it? how big? any specifics(sp?) about whats inside?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Remember that sports bar the guy is putting a million dollars into and has 70 flat screen tvs?

Thats what baxters is going to be and its suppose to hold close to 900 people

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Where is Baxter's? Let's make sure we meet at a centrally accessible location like in DT Norfolk or something (how fitting).

I think we could really make a difference if we prove that we:

1. Have the Passion

It's critical that people understand that we really really really do care about what goes on in Hampton Roads as a whole and that we share their concerns. If we can demonstrate that we are serious and a permanent fixture, what we say will get traction and attention.

2. Have the Knowledge

This means we need to do constant fact checking and make sure we put the most professional face forward for the public. I'm sure there are enough cynics in our 7-cities who would be happy to discredit us as soon as possible. Just the way things are. So we need to make sure that we have the truth on our side all the time.

3. Have a real connection to the public

One of the perennial concerns about much of the development in HR is the lack of public involvement. The Wal-Mart legion is a wonderful exception to the rule, but it's an exception. If we can mobilize voters and taxpayers and contributors, you bet that we can make a difference!

4. Have an understanding with the business community and municipal governments

The biggest pitfall for many of these types of organizations is that they tend to be overtly partisan (even the *non partisan* types) and/or anti-govt or anti-business. This is a great formula for disaster. We want economic growth in Hampton Roads, not a return to farmland (not that there's anything wrong with farmland). We need those powerbrokers to be, if not entirely on our side, at least respectful of what we think and happy to get into dialogue with us. Our enemy is economic stagnation and regional nothingness.

---

Just some ideas. I also propose we have a President/Facilitator (Vdogg?), Committees for VB/Suffolk, Norfolk/Portsmouth, Peninsula with respective Chairmen. We can draft more in-depth bylaws when we meet.

its on Granby st. next to the infamous federal courthouse

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually I remember it now. Very close to where our law office used to be. Our landlord was being an ass so we moved out to the suburbs. Sad. If it's not open though, maybe we should try meeting somewhere that's relatively quiet (like casual restaurant level). I wonder what Vdogg thinks. Is he off doing his job again? Crazy guy.

My question is can we make a difference? Could we actually influence what goes on in our region and we would have to have people from every area in the region.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

In Portland, something like this would have an effect to some degree. Not sure it will get you anywhere there, but it is worth a try.

because Portland is designed differently. If a neighborhood doesn't want something or does want something they tend to have the power to do it without needing deep pockets or big names with them.

Not saying it won't work, I am saying it is good to see you guys trying to do something no matter how small or big it turns out to be for you guys.

My suggestion when it gets going is to make sure the city knows who you are and what your goals are.

because Portland is designed differently.  If a neighborhood doesn't want something or does want something they tend to have the power to do it without needing deep pockets or big names with them.

Not saying it won't work, I am saying it is good to see you guys trying to do something no matter how small or big it turns out to be for you guys.

My suggestion when it gets going is to make sure the city knows who you are and what your goals are.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Honestly I think we are trying to do a regional thing and force these cities to unify our causes and fight together. You get more done with a team than you do with a single person. We love our area and want to stop this city verses city crap in our region and unify our cause to better the HR region.

Archived