Rochester Subway

Garris

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If they fill in the subway, it will be a travesty.  It would behoove the city to clean up that area and transform it into an attraction somehow.  If you want to see more of the subway system, I recommend going to this website.

http://www.infiltration.org/transit-roch.html

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow, I totally agree. How many small cities today would love to build rapid transit but don't have anywhere to build them that is cheap enough??? Here you have an intact ROW just dying for re-use. It would probably be real inexpensive at least from a real estate point of view to get this up and running.

I don't know much about Rochester, does it have densities that could support a subway line now, or a strong enough economy so that density could follow a subway line?

Wow, I totally agree.  How many small cities today would love to build rapid transit but don't have anywhere to build them that is cheap enough???  Here you have an intact ROW just dying for re-use.  It would probably be real inexpensive at least from a real estate point of view to get this up and running. 

I don't know much about Rochester, does it have densities that could support a subway line now, or a strong enough economy so that density could follow a subway line?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Did you read the article at the link? You just want to cry... There are some really nice areas of the downtown, but others are certainly lagging behind. The upstate NY economy is pretty brutal right now, but I think developing that line and especially promoting dense housing along the path could be a real kickstart for the downtown. They could use the ego boost after the Toronto to Rochester ferry disaster.

Apparently, though, not many in Rochester think so :(.

- Garris

Archived