Shelby County--Largest black majority county in US

sleepy

Census figures were released recently which showed that Shelby County with a 2004 population of 908,175 and a 51% black population--up from 48% in 2000--is now the largest county with a black majority population in the US.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2005-0...ck-counties.htm

From 1990-2000, the black growth rate in the Memphis metro was 21%.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Census figures were released recently which showed that Shelby County with a 2004 population of 908,175  and a 51% black population--up from 48% in 2000--is now the largest county with a black majority population in the US.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2005-0...ck-counties.htm

From 1990-2000, the black growth rate in the Memphis metro was 21%.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Where is Shelby? The only Tennessee county that I saw was Haywood County.

I'm sure it does, but 50% of the county has to black, and I don't think Atlanta's county does that. It's bigger and has more blacks, but less blacks percentage wise.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It doesn't.

Fulton County GA, 2000 pop. was a total of 816,006 with a black population of 363,000 for 44% black.

Shelby County TN, 2000 pop. was a total of 897,472 with a black population of 435,824 for 48% black.

Don't forget, though. Shelby County gained three percent, Fulton might have gained some too, but not that much. Shelby County is bigger anyways. I would never have guessed that. Has Memphis consolidated with the county yet?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

2004 estimates were that Shelby had 908,000 and Fulton had 814,000. I don't know what the 2004 racial breakdown is since the census doesn't list it. That's why I used 2000 figures in my earlier post since the census lists a racial breakdown for 2000. I only know the 51% black figure for Shelby County from the USAToday article. That would put Shelby County's 2004 black figure at 463,000, up from 435,000 in 2000.

Memphis and Shelby aren't consolidated and won't consolidate anytime in the near future. People move to Shelby County to get rid of the perceived ills of Memphis city government.

Interesting numbers, Didnt realize Memphis and Shelby Co. TN had such a high growth in minority population.

I read yesterday that Broward County, FL (Ft. Laurderdale) is the fastest growing African-American county in the US with 17,900 new residence in the last 12 months. Most of the the growth is from Miami-Dade residence that are simply moving across the county line, but for better living and job growth in surburban Hollywood and Miramar west of I-75. Some new residence have migrated from the Atlanta area and other parts of the south as well.

Interesting numbers, Didnt realize Memphis and Shelby Co. TN had such a high growth in minority population. 

I read yesterday that Broward County, FL (Ft. Laurderdale) is the fastest growing African-American county in the US with 17,900 new residence in the last 12 months. Most of the the growth is from Miami-Dade residence that are simply moving across the county line, but for better living and job growth in surburban Hollywood and Miramar west of I-75. Some new residence have migrated from the Atlanta area and other parts of the south as well.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've always read that much of the growth of Broward has been from Anglos leaving Miami with some level of resentment at the hispanicization of Miami. I guess Miami African-Americans are doing the same.

Memphis has seen an influx of blacks from the north--the black re-migration--as well as the historical influx from the surrounding dirt poor Delta areas of Arkansas and Mississippi.

Shelby County gained 28,000 blacks between 2000 and 2004, yet its pop. only went up by 11,000. This means 17,000 non-blacks left--mostly for DeSoto County MS. White flight.

Archived