Charlotte to host CIAA

CATFAN

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's the third largest NCAA basketball tournment, and the CIAA itself is the oldest historic Black college athletic association. All the CIAA schools are mostly in VA and NC except for one in Maryland. But the people who will attend this event won't just be alumi of the current schools in the CIAA, but alumi of schools who used to be in the CIAA, like NC A&T, Hampton University and Norfolk State, which all have moved to the MEAC, another historic Black college athletic association.

The event is a week long thing, usually the women tournment doesn't get that many attendees and it starts earlier, and it usually get packed towards the semi finals which is usually starts around Thursday or Friday, but its 110,000 attendees totalled throughout that one week. So the lather half of the tournment is when it's getting get the most attendence. But this CIAA is going to be different, it's going to be the first CIAA in an urban enivornment, the arena is in Uptown and hotels in Uptown for that week are already booked. When it was in Raleigh, it was out in the middle of nowhere with very few hotels and other amenities nearby, so people are actually are actually gonna go and explore Uptown after the games are over. The CIAA in Raleigh, people don't tend to stay around the after a game is over and some people don't attend all the games in the tournment.

It's the third largest NCAA basketball tournment, and the CIAA itself is the oldest historic Black college athletic association. All the CIAA schools are mostly in VA and NC except for one in Maryland. But the people who will attend this event won't just be alumi of the current schools in the CIAA, but alumi of schools who used to be in the CIAA, like NC A&T, Hampton University and Norfolk State, which all have moved to the MEAC, another historic Black college athletic association.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Is this mostly a black event?

I can only guess that many people that attend this event will choose to make Charlotte home. Keep in mind alot of these alumni are fresh out of college. When they are here for the tournament and see how active things are here in Charlotte, Im sure some will want a piece of it. I think its a slam dunk for the city.

it was a big deal when they announced that the tourney would come here. (i think they've been in raleigh for a while).

it will be a big event, and anytime you get a large group of people coming to downtown charlotte, it helps to build the impression that this is a major city to people who might otherwise not have visited.

it was a big deal when they announced that the tourney would come here. (i think they've been in raleigh for a while). 

it will be a big event, and anytime you get a large group of people coming to downtown charlotte, it helps to build the impression that this is a major city to people who might otherwise not have visited.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It should bring a lot of people to Charlotte which equals a lot of $. I'm sure Raleigh didn't want to see it go. They replaced it with the MEAC which is a smalller conference. The ironic thing is that based on the arena size we may not be able to get the ACC conference.

The biggest complaint I've heard about the CIAA tournament in Raleigh was the fact that post-game events were so spread out--an event in Raleigh, one in Durham, one in Cary, etc. In Charlotte, that will be less of a problem as everything will be concentrated in the city itself, probably within Uptown.

Does it matter?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

To be honest, it does matter. Unfortunately many of these ethnic events (lie black spring break) are horrible and crime ridden. I hope there are lots of security officers in town. Now, go ahead and cry and call me a racist. Who cares, it's true.

^^^ Sadly, what you are saying is pretty much true. I don't think that anyone can be called a racist for pointing out facts. However, I again stress the idea that racism is a two way street. It's not always committed by whites against blacks or other minorities, but people just need to understand more about each other. I prefer to call anyone who is a citizen of this great nation simply an "American", not a "white-american"or "african-american" or "asian-american" etc.

But going back onto the CIAA subject. I think that there are lots of positives and lots of negatives that it will bring to Charlotte. +'s being money to local industries and -'s being some of the reasons you mentioned above.

To be honest, it does matter.  Unfortunately many of these ethnic events (lie black spring break) are horrible and crime ridden. I hope there are lots of security officers in town.  Now,  go ahead and cry and call me a racist.  Who cares, it's true.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

goodby Larry. I was serious about stopping these type of arguments.

For anyone who's been to the tournament, is it characterized as "horrible" (not sure exactly what the guy means by that) and "crime ridden"?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't think so. I mean, I've never even heard of the tournament. Surely if there were some problem we would've heard about it. I think it'll be fine. It's just basketball. Those riots over World Cup soccer are worse. :)

I don't think so. I mean, I've never even heard of the tournament. Surely if there were some problem we would've heard about it. I think it'll be fine. It's just basketball. Those riots over World Cup soccer are worse. :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

don't forget about the riots at college towns after a team loses the championship game during March Madness

Archived