Richmond Streetcars Return!

mercuex

Frank Sprague brought Richmond, and America, the very first electric Streetcar system in 1888. After a decades-long haitus, Richmond fathers vow to bring them back and revive a burgeoning city that could become an urban nexus that bridges the charm of the old south with the breakneck-pace of contemporary mid-atlantic high-techurbia. A marriage between history/antiquity and technology.

Unfortunately, aside from an old Richmond.com article from 2003 ... it seems that news about it has been scant and talk has quieted. It's sad because a streetcar system seems just so damn perfect for Richmond.

This thread is dedicated to all streetcar news, rumors, and gossip.

Here's a snippet I caught on the Historic Richmond Foundation website:

Trolley re-birth study

HRF is chairing the trolley committee. The next steps will be a series of public input meetings and further technical analysis of such a system, route alternatives, costs, funding opportunities, etc. A preliminary study has been completed by consultants and Don will the public advocate of the study and the initiative. HRF funded and produced the initial concept study for the trolley initiative in the 80's, which was used as a starting point for the present study. On April 30th, City council endorsed the trolley committee's request to take the current study to the next level with more specific engineering, cost estimating and route alternative development.

If anyone knows ANYTHING ... do share it. Let's work to bring streetcars to Richmond!!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Frank Sprague brought Richmond, and America, the very first electric Streetcar system in 1888. After a decades-long haitus, Richmond fathers vow to bring them back and revive a burgeoning city that could become an urban nexus that bridges the charm of the old south with the breakneck-pace of contemporary mid-atlantic high-techurbia. A marriage between history/antiquity and technology.

Unfortunately, aside from an old Richmond.com article from 2003 ... it seems that news about it has been scant and talk has quieted. It's sad because a streetcar system seems just so damn perfect for Richmond.

This thread is dedicated to all streetcar news, rumors, and gossip.

Here's a snippet I caught on the Historic Richmond Foundation website:

If anyone knows ANYTHING ... do share it. Let's work to bring streetcars to Richmond!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

heh ... oh well.

hey man...patience is a virtue :) I contacted the GRTC and the City Planner. Recommendations were made for the streetcar plan (I believe they are in the transportation section of the forum). You can view the plan and the map of initial and potential phases of the streetcar system. Unfortunately, I think it is on hold at the moment. In fact, I think they are leaning more towards those special transit buses like they are gonna use in VA Beach (I think thats where) in the nearest future. IT's a shame given Richmond's history with streetcars. Good idea for a thread.....hopefully we can uncover good news about this!

hey man...patience is a virtue :) I contacted the GRTC and the City Planner. Recommendations were made for the streetcar plan (I believe they are in the transportation section of the forum). You can view the plan and the map of initial and potential phases of the streetcar system. Unfortunately, I think it is on hold at the moment. In fact, I think they are leaning more towards those special transit buses like they are gonna use in VA Beach (I think thats where) in the nearest future. IT's a shame given Richmond's history with streetcars. Good idea for a thread.....hopefully we can uncover good news about this!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah I had heard about that ... my roommate works for the State Democratic party and he knows some guy who's like Mr. Streetcar so I'm going to see if I can weasel any information from them. Streetcars would be SUCH an asset in Richmond.

they have an idea of where future light rail corridors will go. Main St Station will be the hub for light rail in the region as well from what I understand. Average commute in Richmond is like 20 minutes and compared to NOVA of HR, Richmond doesn't have traffic, at least yet. I think the streetcar would be the best first step forward, and light rail can build on that and expand to the corners of the region. I'd also like to see a HighSpeed Rail link between Richmond, Norfolk and D.C. If ODU can get there Mag LEv rolling, I wouldn't mind seeing one of those streaming by I-64 or 460.

boy that maglev is expensive. I don't know if they would put that down between here and Richmond. I don't know whats holding it up this time. They received more funds. Its driving me crazy dude. Hopefully by the time I'm at ODU it will be working and I can ride it for S&G.

• 1 month later...

here we go...

City planners studied creating a 'light rail'

"Main Street Station in Shockoe Bottom would serve as a hub, according to the planning document. The planners also considered "commuter rail" routes -- a related idea that uses existing rail lines to create suburb-to-city service."

"A 13.6-mile light rail line from Short Pump to downtown Richmond carries an estimated price of $791 million.

A 14.1-mile commuter rail line from Midlothian to Richmond is more affordable because it would run on existing track: $81 million".............

The way that light-rail runs ($$$) these days, I'd say that Midlo-Richmond line is fairly inexpensive.

Wonder what a potential route would be?

here we go...

City planners studied creating a 'light rail'

"Main Street Station in Shockoe Bottom would serve as a hub, according to the planning document. The planners also considered "commuter rail" routes -- a related idea that uses existing rail lines to create suburb-to-city service."

"A 13.6-mile light rail line from Short Pump to downtown Richmond carries an estimated price of $791 million.

A 14.1-mile commuter rail line from Midlothian to Richmond is more affordable because it would run on existing track: $81 million".............

The way that light-rail runs ($$$) these days, I'd say that Midlo-Richmond line is fairly inexpensive.

Wonder what a potential route would be?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I remember looking at a map of the newly proposed Watkins Center and there being a light rail line that went from the Watkins Center to downtown (I least I think it went to downtown). Check out those maps/plans. There probably is a railroad line near there.

Eric, that's Heavy rail from Watkins Landing to Hull Street Station (though it can/, somewhat awkwardly, connect to Main Street Station).  It is the Norfolk/Southern Line from Blackstone to West Point and goes thru Midlothian.  It is often discussed as a commuter route.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was just thinking that they would use that heavy rail line for light rail since the $81 million estimate to build a system to Chesterfield using the Midloathian corridor said that it would be cheaper than building a whole new RR because it would use existing rail lines.

I've never understood whether or not light rail vehicles can ride on heavy rail, tho I don't see why not. Since it's not eletrified, they could use those diesel powered cars (in tandem when traffic is heavy). I remember when those diesel cars used to run the river line (now CSX, then C&O) between MSS and Lynchburg, and also from MSS to Newport News.

• 1 month later...
I guess there is talk of the Science Museum creating a loop to run an old Richmond Streetcar on...... hopefully it makes the fools in charge of transportation in the city realize how they need to get on the ball with it.
It's not really an old Richmond car they'll be running at the Science Museum's Discovery Park rail loop. It is an import from Lisbon purchased years ago by Mrs. Bocock.

:(.... I was hoping for the real deal...ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Well, it's a real streetcar (trolly), just not one from the old Richmond fleet. Actually, it's more interesting looking than Richmond's old cars IMO. I remember seeing it years ago just after Mrs. Bocock bought it and had it shipped to Richmond.

:)

• 2 months later...

I remember reading somewhere about the Streetcar plan...

It fizzled again last year because there was a lack of funding. I think we'll have BRT first.

I remember hearing whatever it will be will link the two VCU campuses, Richmond attractions, and MSS.... plus it will be environmentally friendly.

Its a travesty that the first city in the world to have a streetcar system has nothing to show for it...

I remember reading somewhere about the Streetcar plan...

It fizzled again last year because there was a lack of funding. I think we'll have BRT first.

I remember hearing whatever it will be will link the two VCU campuses, Richmond attractions, and MSS.... plus it will be environmentally friendly.

Its a travesty that the first city in the world to have a streetcar system has nothing to show for it...

BRT means BUS Rapid Transit, doesn't it? Ugh!

BRT means BUS Rapid Transit, doesn't it? Ugh!

If that is the case, how pathetic are we that a city our size cannot sport even a basic streetcar system on rails. Richmond has really digressed in this area. This is something the city really needs to concentrate on.

Archived