Richmond Streetcars Return!

mercuex

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

$$$ talks and unfortunately, I think that the city has higher priorities (schools, crime, etc)...

Other cities have high priorities, too, but most of them work hard at maintaining and advancing quality of life projects. Norfolk seems to be doing a pretty good job.

I remember I shared an article with my planning class about Richmond being the only city of its size without a regional mass transit system. We love our cars. Think of how nice and compact this city would be had it not exploded with the interstates and suburbs. The original trolley died just in time for that. Being that we were the first to have a sucessful electric trolley system, it's a disgrace we don't have its descendant here.

• 1 month later...

I agree as well.

Visiting Philly years ago I saw how my friends got around.. Them my Mom told of the stories of the cars.

We have a couple of shops in the county and a venue downtown. Staffing is terrible in the counties for food staff but with transit service that would certainly change.

It would do the City well since there are soooo many jobs in the counties that some Richmonders can't get to. It would do the coutnties well I think for the same reasons. I know I would use it when I didn't need the van.

All in all the city might see the crime rate move a bit lower since more could get to jobs or at least those that wanted to work.

Seems like if the city can spend some $$ on the lists of crazy items, this should move up the list since it could help everyone .

BTW whats the crossroads under my name and the blue square for >>????

• 1 month later...

Ok what would we'd like to see more? Street cars like the days of old or the new-fangled light rail? And if we ran them down Broad, would they be better in the center or on the outside like where the buses go? And maybe we could limit the buses downtown if we had rail.

Archived