West End Summit News

doormanpoet

I gave this information to William, but I'll share a tid bit here and William is working on the story. I talked to a cab driver today that said he took the head architect to Palmer Plaza for a meeting on the design of West End Summit. Here is how it happened:

I had a guest getting in the cab from Suntrust out of Virginia. She was not aware of the new Suntrust Plaza so I told her about it. The cab driver overheard our conversation and that is when he mentioned WEst End Summit. He asked if I heard of it, and I kind of played dumb and said not really. Well he must have been some built environment freak like us because he was all too excited to tell me about it. He mentioned he picked the guy up from the airport and started talking with him and one thing lead to another and the architect said he had a big meeting on the designs of the building. He was confident issues would be resolved.

My conclusion? If this is true, I think the design change is one that will be smaller. I think IF IT IS BUILT it will be a couple of midrises, say 8-12 floors and be condo's and retail with a nice park and fountain in the middle with restaurants on the top floors. The height will be like the American Centers on 31st and West End. I think Alex S. Palmer realizes that 350 and 400 foot buildings are just not appropriate for West End. This is NOT NYC, Toronto, Vancouver, Chicago or Atlanta. Our infrastructure cannot support such a project on West End, plus the property taxes on West End would adversely affect the small business arounf the West End Summit. I have a feeling that MDHA did NOT approve the current design.

I like Plamer Plaza, but I wish it was on say 7th and Commerce instead of a surface parking lot.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First time poster here. I work at a blue print company in town. One of the Palmer people was in here last week. He said they are close to getting a hotel operator and that there where some design changes in the works. He also said that the architect is Duda Paine out of Dallas and that it will take about 6 months to do all the design work like plumbing, electrical and all the detailed stuff. He was excited. Construction most likely will not start until spring 2006.

On a side note we where running the plans for Harrison St Loft yesterday.

Don't forget, with such projects other issues need to be considered like water and sewer lines, infrastructure like roads and sidewalks, power sources, drainage etc... If this were to be a two tower 900,000 square foot project, this make take years. What about parking? The ASPcompany website mentions nothing about parking facilities. What about the size of the hole? Will it be above ground parking? There is so much to consider.

I remember the buildings' specs saying something about parking for 3000 cars. It would be underground/above ground in the back. But that's old stuff, I guess I'll just wait for the new news. My figures may be off (heaven forbid, not me) but that's what my brain tell me at the moment.

Sorry to miss you today. I talked to W later on, but I'm sure you know that. :)

I remember the buildings' specs saying something about parking for 3000 cars. It would be underground/above ground in the back. But that's old stuff, I guess I'll just wait for the new news. My figures may be off (heaven forbid, not me) but that's what my brain tell me at the moment.

Sorry to miss you today. I talked to W later on, but I'm sure you know that. :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

3000 cars!?? What's up with that?

Good Lord, Minneapolis' Mall of America which stretches from Iowa to Minneapolis only has parking for 5000 cars. lol

3,000 cars isn't that much, but I checked the WES website and it now says an "1,800 space garage." I should have checked my facts first.

The new parking garage in front of the Davidson County courthouse will have 1,200 spaces. Opry Mills (a mini-mall compared to MOA, has 7,638 (yes, I checked). So, naturally, I thought my next step would be to check out MOA. Here's what I found:

Mall of America Parking:

All parking at Mall of America is free! The unique design of the parking ramps provides a total of 13,000 parking spaces in the east and west ramps of the facility. In addition, two surface lots are located at the north and south entrances. An overflow parking area, the north lot, is conveniently located across Lindau Lane for a total of more than 20,000 parking spaces. Motor-coach parking is also free and is located in the north lot.

3,000 cars isn't that much, but I checked the WES website and it now says an "1,800 space garage." I should have checked my facts first.

The new parking garage in front of the Davidson County courthouse will have 1,200 spaces. Opry Mills (a mini-mall compared to MOA, has 7,638 (yes, I checked). So, naturally, I thought my next step would be to check out MOA. Here's what I found:

Mall of America Parking:

All parking at Mall of America is free! The unique design of the parking ramps provides a total of 13,000 parking spaces in the east and west ramps of the facility. In addition, two surface lots are located at the north and south entrances. An overflow parking area, the north lot, is conveniently located across Lindau Lane for a total of more than 20,000 parking spaces. Motor-coach parking is also free and is located in the north lot.

• 1 month later...

Archived