North Carolina to New Mexico:

JunktionFET

Here are a couple pics of the trek my little brother made from NC to NM... included are pics of I-40 through the NC mountains, then Nashville, Memphis, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Texas, and New Mexico... There were tons that he took, but here are some samples.

He said that the drive through TN wasn't bad, but Arkansas, Oklahoma, and Texas were pretty unbearable... Western Texas and New Mexico brought a sudden transition in landscape which broke the monotony a bit.

The vicinity of Asheville and the NC state line

image09_92527.jpg

image14_63914.jpg

image21_32770.jpg

image22_41449.jpg

In and around Nashville TN

image24_06002.jpg

image25_75040.jpg

image26_33702.jpg

Memphis, sort of

image33_47697.jpg

image34_99543.jpg

Stuff west of TN

image43_43556.jpg

image56_90190.jpg

image50_59240.jpg

image51_04951.jpg

image64_25740.jpg

Getting closer...

image73_56172.jpg

image85_06517.jpg

image87_62204.jpg

image98_92020.jpg

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest donaltopablo

What part of NM did they go to? NM def has some interesting and unique landscapes, much of it very beautiful. Brings back memories for me as well.

He went to Santa Fe. I didn't know this, but that place is almost 7000 feet above sea level... Humidity is extremely low and the day/night temperature change is rather extreme.

He drives a turbocharged car and noted a marked increase in turbo lag whist in Santa Fe. They took a day trip up some mountain (10,000+ feet I think) and he noticed a very dramatic change in power due to the reduced air density.

I've seen the turbochargers on some petrol cars glowing orange, like the burner on a stove. I'm sure his was nice and toasty after climbing that mountain, though I hope it wasn't this hot :D

Hot%20Turbo.jpg

Speaking of which, I've had the turbocharger on my diesel glowing a dim red colour after running it wide open for a while out towards Forest City (which isn't much of a city) in Rutherford County, NC.

Guest donaltopablo

Yeah, Santa Fe is very high in the mountains. It's a great city to visit to.

Being a car nut, I've seen that happen to my turbo several times too. It's always entertaining to pop your hood after a bunch of WOT runs and your exhaust manifold and turbo is glowing red hot! Turbo lag is much worse with the thin air because of the alt. Although the cool air here in the south is good for a turbo car, nice, dense, cool air to flow through the turbo system. Very nice pics.

• 1 month later...

Great pics. I missed this too. I'm in the mood for a road trip now! Especially with the 9 inches of snow we've gotten so far today.

don't think I could have rode that far I'd have to suck it up and fly in a plane

LOL. I've driven from Flint to San Diego & back again. Now that was a LONG drive.

Archived