Crazy Ideas

doormanpoet

I remembered some proposals back in the 1980's. I wonder if Dave or anyone else has the renderings.

1) In Lebanon, TN. Four 80 story buildings surrounding an 80,000 seat football stadium to attract an NFL team!

2) Tullahoma, TN. A 110,000 seat football stadium to bring an NFL team to Tullahoma.

3) A 48 story skyscraper to be built on 7th and Commerce across from the James Robertson Apartments. That is why they razed the 14 story building.

4) The 750 foot Nashville Tower Observation Deck.

5) Ryman Center: Five 27 story buildings surrounding one 47 story building.

6) Most recently the 620 foot Marina Tower. God that was hideous!!!!

7) The most outrageous of all........drumroll please..... The giant glass bubble over Lower Broadway full of entertainment and restaurants!

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Four 80 story buildings and a 80,000 seat stadium? What in the world was these people thinking? What in the heck were they going to fill the buildings with?? As dumb as that idea is I have to admit it doesnt touch #7. A glass bubble????

The glass bubble is the only one I really remember. They're all pretty bizarre, but it's nice to know imagination lives.

And the way the weather's been lately, a giant glass bubble with a/c almost sounds pretty good. We could make The District in to a place like Ah-nold S. visited on in Total Recall.

I still think I could live with 3, 4, and 5. How bizarre doorman. I love this.

I remembered some proposals back in the 1980's. I wonder if Dave or anyone else has the renderings.

1) In Lebanon, TN. Four 80 story buildings surrounding an 80,000 seat football stadium to attract an NFL team!

2) Tullahoma, TN. A 110,000 seat football stadium to bring an NFL team to Tullahoma.

3) A 48 story skyscraper to be built on 7th and Commerce across from the James Robertson Apartments. That is why they razed the 14 story building.

4) The 750 foot Nashville Tower Observation Deck.

5) Ryman Center: Five 27 story buildings surrounding one 47 story building.

6) Most recently the 620 foot Marina Tower. God that was hideous!!!!

7) The most outrageous of all........drumroll please..... The giant glass bubble over Lower Broadway full of entertainment and restaurants!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I seem to remember a couple of outrageous proposals for Music Row that included a wedding cake shaped skyscraper and a guitar shaped building.

Seems the Nashville Scene had an article in recent years about such proposals, but I searched and couldn't find it.

I remember a 42 storey hotel proposed for the site where TPAC now is.

The most intriguing, never happened, project was talk about HCA consolidating all their offices into one building downtown where the Signature Tower is now proposed. It was to have twice the floor space as the Bell South Building. Imagine that! :whistling: A 900 footer maybe? However, the cowboys who were running the company at the time were soon ousted and those plans were killed.

When I lived in Nashville in the '80s, there was some discussion of buiding a stadium where the old airport terminal was off of Briley Pkwy. I don't recall the logic behind using that site...maybe because there was already an interchange for the airport entrance and they could have used that to ensure good ingress/egress.

I also don't recall why they were planning to build a new football stadium at that time (I think this was around 1988). Nashville wasn't on the NFL radar screen at that time, and Vandy's football team sure didn't warrant it.

Also...does anybody remember in the late '80s when Nashville put in a bid for the Olympics? I believe they were bidding for the '96 Olympics which, of course, went to Atlanta. Maybe the "airport stadium" had something to do with that.

When I lived in Nashville in the '80s, there was some discussion of buiding a stadium where the old airport terminal was off of Briley Pkwy.  I don't recall the logic behind using that site...maybe because there was already an interchange for the airport entrance and they could have used that to ensure good ingress/egress.

I also don't recall why they were planning to build a new football stadium at that time (I think this was around 1988).  Nashville wasn't on the NFL radar screen at that time, and Vandy's football team sure didn't warrant it.

Also...does anybody remember in the late '80s when Nashville put in a bid for the Olympics?  I believe they were bidding for the '96 Olympics which, of course, went to Atlanta.  Maybe the "airport stadium" had something to do with that.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The airport stadium was being used by the Atlanta Falcons as leverage to get a new stadium in Georgia. They were threatening to move to Nashville. I remember being impressed by how fast the proposal was put together.

Of course the stadium would have had some bricks and mortar. ^_^

Archived