Downtown: Above the Top

csmurphy8885

When, who, and How tall are the only things that come to my mind in respect to the capital building being surpassed in hieght. I want it to happen. I know that we might not have enough going on to support a 150m scraper, but there has to be something on the horizon for us. I hear conflicting info about whether it is a law or a gentleman's agreement to respect the 99m capital building.

Also, what are the possibilities for rennovating the building/ adding some height and beauty. Right now, it is a rectangle from the 70's. We desserve sexier. I thought about things like a lighthouse cap, or a palm tree style spire. Something that would make it a landmark for something other than its dominance of height. This may be a waste of time- but rennovations have always been a big a part of the capitals history. 20 years, now its time to make some more.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

C'Mon! How much sexier can the capitol get! LOL!!!

You'll catch that driving down Apalachee Pkwy.

Seriously, I'm with you... I want it to happen also, but I can't say that Im more eager to see that, than I am to simply see buildings fill in the gaps in our growing skyline.

Sure I'd like to see a taller building in the downtown area, I'd like to see 10 more stories with an observation center at the top to allow for better visibility of the surrounding area. It was once said that a building will never trump the capitol tower, but since the Capitol Center Planning District was disolved and planning and zoning for Downtown turned over to the City of Tallahassee, there's no telling what could happen.

I'd say more of a gentleman's agreement than anything... but those are meant to be broken.

I actually like the captiol the way it is. I think it's beautiful with the two houses on either side of main building with their shallow domes. The buildings featuring a simple look with contrasting white and black as their only colors. That the old capitol building was retained makes the complex truly beautiful.

As for constructing buildings that are taller than the "new" capitol building, I'm currently opposed to it. Mostly for the reson that it's unnecessary. The urbanplanet.org forums have implanted a new concept in my brain: the signature building. Though I certainly want to see Tallahassee's skyline added too, I think we have a fine signature building in the capitol. To me it's truly beautiful to see as you drive up the Parkway.

You are on target with your comments about the signature building. Everyone knows Florida's capitol as the symbol of Tallahassee's pride. And like you I think its height is substantial for our current purposes.

I think our skyline could impress with buildings at the height of and shorter than the buildings already in place... its simply a matter of filling in the gaps.

Infill will definatly be first... I just can't agree with the capital as beeing our plan for a signiture building... It is only such, because it is tall, and alone. I like the idea of the columnesque tower representing the root so democracy or whatsitcalled. I just think that even a useless focal point would be an awsome attribute to draw in more attention to our plight. Though, i would rather the city work on schools and transportation... We need more toys!

Im not sure I understand the question... how many buildings taller than the capitol can Tallahassee Really Support? Residential? Commercial? Educational? Governmental? Because if we really look at it through the eyes of a Renissance person, they might say, with all of those small associaltions in one and two story buildings taking up precious parcels in the downtown area, we could "support" or in my words, "fill-up" two or three buildings the size of the capitol or taller... thinking of all of the law offices, courts with little space, associations in outdated locations, needed restaurants, and retail in the downtown area in addition to more living space.... I see what we've got going on now as a mere beginning... as a matter of fact a survey of Tallahassee market done 5 years ago found our downtown could support upward of 1500 residents, currently we have:

Tennyson - 90

Tallahassee Center - 70

Plaza Tower - 200

Cloisters - 20

417 Park - 20

Village - 100

Symphony - 70

Marriott Condos - 40

College Park - 100

Governor's Inn Condos - 10

Which are an estimated total of 720 residential units... the market is currently nowhere near saturation according tko the market study... we're half way there and if this trend holds, the number of those interested in living in the downtown area will increase.

Additionally the current spike in gas prices will have adverse affect on those moving away from the city core... instead the demand for downtown and urban living will increase as mass transit becomes more and more popular.... we could go on all day, only to conclude that yes we could support buildings taller than the capitol, but should we build any??

Nah!

^ You definitely make a good point. Maybe it's more of a looks thing for me, but I just can't see Tallahassee's skyline being filled with steel and glass towers crammed full of businesses and residents. It would be inconsistent with the style of Tallahassee's downtown structures. I just don't want to see the city move in that direction. I think they're on the right track now with the kinds of projects that are going on currently.

I think it is a handful of years away certainly. But i also think if some investors took the iniciative to build some commercial plazas dowtown, the draw for new companies would be too much for them to ignore. It is obvious that folks would rather not build thier own, at least not for a market still growing like ours. But we cuold support the growth, and with the city involved, we can grow based on our own plan and rules. We can learn what other cities messed up on... aka transit and utilities... and we can start now to facilitate the inevitable growth. Sounds like the future is coming... We have a chance to play it right. Lets make us sexy.

In my opinion it would be smart to spread North-South... we still need some depth west of the capitol, but North South is the plan... South Monroe has some potential to be annexed into the downtown area, and so does the stretch across Tennessee where the Radission is going toward the GA Beale apartments. I think we should continue to pursue North - South development for the sake of the view from Apalachee Parkway... the offical Gateway to the city IMO, and push for some depth like what we are seeing near FSU campus and along Gaines Street.

I have a couple of concepts to beautify the rr bridges that pass over appalachee and Monroe. Though we dont have awsome bridges like Jax, we could utilize those two for signage into the DT area. My concepts are just simple letterings of "tallahassee" but i would love to have the city commision me to really do it right. Thoughts?

• 1 month later...

hmm, i dont think so..... But What i do think will happen is, once people are moved in downtown.... it will totally change the feel. people will be walking to work, the sidewalks will get some use... little cafe's will open in the bottom floor of office highrises..... we are pimp n

Archived