Breweries

sfmartin

Some time ago I heard a rumour that Barley's Tap House (Asheville, Greenville) was looking at Charlotte. I wonder if the recent passage of the "Beer Bill" will increase the number of breweries/brewpubs/gastropubs in Charlotte? Rockbottom and Southend don't really cut it.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Everytime I have been to SouthEnd Brewery in either Charlotte or Charleston it has been dead. I would like to see more beer joints open up, especially in the center city. Flying Saucer is great but who wants to drive all the way out to the University Area to drink beer in a strip mall? Cottonwood Brewery is near Charlotte, when they were in Boone they operated a Brewery/Resaurant so it would be great if they opened a new one in Charlotte.

Everytime I have been to SouthEnd Brewery in either Charlotte or Charleston it has been dead.  I would like to see more beer joints open up, especially in the center city.  Flying Saucer is great but who wants to drive all the way out to the University Area to drink beer in a strip mall?  Cottonwood Brewery is near Charlotte, when they were in Boone they operated a Brewery/Resaurant so it would be great if they opened a new one in Charlotte.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, I find it very stupid that Flying Saucer is where it is. Maybe they could open another location downtown. Their location in Raleigh and most other cities is downtown I believe, so I wonder why they chose university for the one here.

I think breweries were a late 80s early 90s fad.  They seem to be on the wane now.  At one time it was standing room only at Southend Brewery. 

The first modern micro-brewery in CLT was Dilworth Brewery.  It is but a memory now.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm not sure it's a fad--it depends on other factors. The breweries in Chapel Hill (Top of the Hill and Carolina Brewery) seem to be doing very well. Those are both in a good location on Franklin Street, have great food and other drinks, and have a large number of young people around them. There's something missing at SouthEnd Brewery, but I don't think it has anything to do with their beer.

Southend is too cavernous and requires a big crowd to seem full - never cozy. Smaller brewpubs / gastropubs that combined a cozy -gezellig- atmosphere with good food, great craft beer and an uptown location could do well. I lived in Ft. Collins, CO for a while and the brewpubs were always packed - that was just a couple of years ago, not in the 90's. There will always be a strong demand for good beer in a good atmosphere.

Archived