From Cleveland with hope

netagurion

hey all! I posted in the midwest forum that basically the midwest sucks for urban planners except maybe chicago. I live in cleveland and am gratuating in december with a degree in urban planning/GIS and economic development and can not find anything. now one might say "move to chicago then!" but i HATE the cold and am looking for warmth throughout the winter months. not like desert hot but above 35 degrees. so anyway some people suggested that the southeastern US would be a good place to look into. So I say, can anyone tell me what its like for planners and such down yonder. :)

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I being from chicago was in the same boat. I live in Nashville Tn, because of the cost of living , the warm climate and friendly people.

This past winter was are warmest on record we had 8 days above 70 and 21 days above sixty. Look into the Nashville area, are downtown area is booming with projects from concert halls, condo, courthouse, public square, new bridges, baseball stadium and 2 hotel project along with and 700ft skyscaper that is totally out of control. I vote nashville tn were playing your song

As for urban planning either the south or out west would be your best two options. I think the south would be the very best option. Southern cities are growing very healthily where as a lot of the northern and midwestern cities are going through a bit of a decline or stall in urban growth. Even those that are still doing alright are mostly outshined by other cities in the south and west. There are several southern cities to look into depending on exactly what you're looking for and how hot you like it. I'd second Showetime21's statement that Nashville is certainly a place to look into. I live in Atlanta and its another booming city that certainly needs some urban planners to help correct some bad decisions made in the past. :P

Everyone one of us will agree that the South is the place be and everyone of us will give you a dozen valid reasons to move to any of the big cities and none of us would be wrong about it.

Some are growing faster than the others but none of them are going backwards.

I suggest that you browse all the sub forums in this section. Learn the strengths and weaknesses of each area and decide for yourself.

Either way, you can't go wrong and welcome to the South.

Archived