Cool City?@#$!

ModSquad

Grand Rapids will never be a cool city until drivers start to respect pedestrians and bicyclists. I walk to and from work everyday. I usually walk home for lunch. I walk to the grocery store. I cannot tell you how many times I have almost gotten hit.

Last week two young boys on a bike were hit at our intersection of Madison and Hall...100% the driver

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On second thought...maybe gas prices will rise so much that more people will have to take to their soles or pedals.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Or make people stay at home with the AC cranked up :(

I think that many areas of town need to be made more pedestrian friendly, by having more green/walking space between development and street perhaps? Having taller curbs would help people avoid them as well.

Or make people stay at home with the AC cranked up :(

I think that many areas of town need to be made more pedestrian friendly, by having more green/walking space between development and street perhaps? Having taller curbs would help people avoid them as well.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think there needs to be more bike paths along the streets, so the bicyclists dont have to ride in the street with traffic. I think its way to dangerous on the major streets to ride with cars in the road.

I think there needs to be more bike paths along the streets, so the bicyclists dont have to ride in the street with traffic.  I think its way to dangerous on the major streets to ride with cars in the road.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The City is doing a lot of sewer and raod improvements in the Central City...the inclusing of bike paths on these newly developed streets would be awesome and certainly encourage more bike riding.

The City is doing a lot of sewer and raod improvements in the Central City...the inclusing of bike paths on these newly developed streets would be awesome and certainly encourage more bike riding.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I, too, have nearly been hit by idiot drivers on many occasions. They simply don't pay attention. If I'm crossing in front of a car that plans to turn right on a red light, I wait until I catch the driver's eye before doing so. And that's not even enough anymore. Now I wait until the person displays some brain activity and actually acknowledges my presence.

The drivers turning left are the worst. I had one just about hit me, and I yelled, "Hey! Hey!" Only then did she sort of stop. I went right up to her window and said, "Watch where you're going!" Nothing. She wouldn't look at me. Not a flicker of recognition (not that she knew me, but she had not even recognized what she had almost done), not even an acknowledgement that she heard me, saw me, whatever. Totally bovine.

This morning another woman turned left right in front of me (I had the walk sign), and sported a blank face as well.

Who ARE these people? Has mad cow already infected the driving population of GR?

There are weeks when I drive my car only maybe once or twice. I much prefer walking, but I feel as though I need a huge bat to defend myself.

Moo.

I almost got hit by an "old" lady as I was trying to cross Division at Monroe Center. She was making a left to go North on Division, and luckily saw me at the last minute. I could have touched her hood she came so close. She was very embarassed, to say the least.

unfortunately the main reaction to someone almost hitting someone is to try to avoid the situation and hope it doesnt escalate into violence. This includes avoiding conforontation with the victim

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Makes sense in a sick sort of way, doesn't it? Maybe there are too many people. With cars.

I confess that I almost hit someone waaaaay back when the right turn on red law went into effect. I was horrified. I stopped, rolled down my window and apologized up and down. The poor woman was scared to death. I felt just awful. Totally ruined my day. But I was so glad I hadn't hurt her.

Makes sense in a sick sort of way, doesn't it? Maybe there are too many people. With cars.

I confess that I almost hit someone waaaaay back when the right turn on red law went into effect. I was horrified. I stopped, rolled down my window and apologized up and down. The poor woman was scared to death. I felt just awful. Totally ruined my day. But I was so glad I hadn't hurt her.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

man, I had always thought that was legal... must be before my time...

RUN!!! :lol:

I too have been a witness to a person being hit while crossing the road and it was a horrible sight. However, it really ticks me off when people think they can just walk into the street into oncoming traffic and walk at a snails pace across the road like they are the only ones there. I think that people should be more considerate on both sides, not just the people in cars.

I almost got hit by an "old" lady as I was trying to cross Division at Monroe Center.  She was making a left to go North on Division, and luckily saw me at the last minute.  I could have touched her hood she came so close.  She was very embarassed, to say the least.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You mean you actually witnessed a flash of emotion! You are one of the lucky ones.

Archived