Morton House - Monroe Ctr & Ionia

GRDadof3

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Back in the day" - early 1980's or so, that room was a great place to hang out, but I can't

for the life of me remember the name. A couple of friends of mine had barstools - literally -

with their names on them. I believe they served lunch. Live music at night - The Beveridge

Brothers played there frequently - and others. For a very short while sometime in the 90's,

(?) there was a run at it being an adult nightclub where there was a dress code and age limits

on the lower end. Wish I could remember the names - I AM getting old!

It has always been the Morton House. Multiple buildings, same name. I think that is the one thing that SHOULD stay the same. :)

Joe

I think they should rename that place Mortan seems like such a drab name. A new name change will be beneficial to that place for starters.

The old bar and restaurant everyone keeps talking about from the 70s and early 80's was called Les Idees. There are probably thousands of my dead brain cells still scattered somewhere on the floor in there. The place was run by a delightfully quirky guy/maitre de who we often fondly referred to as the "mad Russian" due to his dark hair, beard and personality. The food was actually quite good and on the high-end side. The entrance was off of Ionia, not Monroe. In the dining area, the decor and interior architecture was quite splendid.

The old bar and restaurant everyone keeps talking about from the 70s and early 80's was called Les Idees. There are probably thousands of my dead brain cells still scattered somewhere on the floor in there. The place was run by a delightfully quirky guy/maitre de who we often fondly referred to as the "mad Russian" due to his dark hair, beard and personality. The food was actually quite good and on the high-end side. The entrance was off of Ionia, not Monroe. In the dining area, the decor and interior architecture was quite splendid.

Yes! And after emailing a friend who used to frequent the place I was reminded that it was next called,

"My Place" (early to mid 80's.) It was co-owned by my friend's accountant and a couple of designers.

You could have a set of glasses with your name on it OR a barstool with your name on it.

My pal chose the barstool!

Yeah, I worked at Les Idees (pronounces Lazy Days) when in high school. It had a club-like interior with wood panels and lots of detailing. And yes, they had great food, way better than almost anything in GR at that point. Just don't go down the basement...Yikes!

• 1 month later...
I saw that, too; hopefully the person/entity that buys the place does something spectacular with it. Then again, one could say the same thing about any building.

In my opinion, it's just begging for a BW3! :) I know some people are super anti-gentrification, but I think this would be a great 'anchor' bar/restaurant that would bring a ton of people to Monroe Mall. Not to mention wings are delicious. . .

Archived