Spartanburg Journal Discussion

Spartan

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In this week's Juornal there is an article about the Easton Marketplace. it complements the developers on their adjustments into making it more than just a shopping village. They are impriving the looks of the entrance, using the existing ponds and more green space. Sounds very promising.

TBAs:

The Montgomery building sold for 1.9 mil and while no concrete plans yet, there is a lot of talk and ides floating about...

Lots of interest in the palmetto building that Longleaf bought earlier this month with lofts as the main component...

The city has some new downtown maps with retail, hiking, and biking trails listed. (haven't seen one yet)

I'd like to know where to get those maps. There is a biking map available too. Please let us know if you find out where/how to get them!

Does anyone else have ideas for the Montgomery building?

I'd like to see it refurbished into some quality Class A office space, with retail on the bottom floor like there used to be. I think that they could take out some of those walls on either side of the doors for those shops and replace them with windows to open it up. It would be a pretty hefty rennovation. The City would also have to work on the Church St sidewalk somehow....

I love the idea of the retail back o the bottom, with a creative use for the old theatre. that could reall y be something unique for Spartanburg.

The master plan seems to suggest smaller spaces in the upper floors that might could be used by a lot of different firms, and not geared as much for those that require huge floor spaces.

• 3 months later...

The HJ has really been dead for news the past couple of weeks. There was an article about the USC Upstate Business School campus at Renaissance Park on Sunday, but the stupid new format of GoUpstate.com doesn't sort old news by day anymore, so I can't find it.

Point being- is there anyone out there with a Journal? Any interesting TBA's lately?

No TBA's, but there is a great article about three men proposing a new vision for Renaissance park. Lots of water, and pedestrian paths in between office, retail, restaurant, condo and apartment space. The picture used was a hand drawn,, but it looked awesome!!

The men are not lightweights in the financial world either. They are Pat McCall, Walt Dahlgen, and Bill McDaniel and proposals have already been mailed to city leaders.

It looks like they want to form a non profit to purchase the land, and then either sell or lease portions to companies, as need arises as to not put the entire burden of the 20 acres on one developer. They design the plan and fit groups into that plan. If the city sells them the land then that would be a plus as far as putting the property back on the tax rolls.

A lot to describe so get a copy and help me out.

I would really like to see some computer drawings of this plan, because it does look cool. Water is comeing down a water feature from the marriott with two larger bodies of water below with fountains. Buildings are all around with pedestrian paths and larges plazas. Parking appears to be in garages or hidden, but once again this is hand drawn.

They did say that this would be a "destination" development.

• 6 months later...

So, does the Journal just not do TBAs or a business section anymore? The last few times I've been home to pick one up, they have very little, and never a TBA section. In all honesty, that was the main reason I even cared to pick up the Journal. Thoughts?

I like the Journal and look forward to it coming every Thursday. That said, I like it because its usually very socially conscious. I like John Lane and Gary Henderson and the stories they pursue. When it tries to talk business, this is where it gets into trouble. The stories are usually speculative at best (TBA). When it does special articles on businesses in the surrounding area, they are kind of on the fluffy side with not much more info than what you would find in a Harris Guide or Thomas Regional.

If it was ever updated, this would be the site to go to for business news http://www.economicfuturesgroup.com/ (I don't know how to embed the link, sorry). This site is a link off of the upstate alliance website. We used to use both as business tools until someone thought it would be a bright idea to stop updating the sites.

The former SCEDC was a fairly useful site as I recall. Its a shame that the merger with the Chamber of Commerce has resulted in this un-updated EFG site.

The speculative nature of the TBA's is what I liked about it though. The EFG site you mentioned is more geared towards larger economic developments that to me always seem to be more focused on industry and such. The TBAs and the Business section in general used to have interesting tidbits about potential new stores in downtown, who or what might be looking around to open up a restaurant, things like that. If you go to the Greenville Forum, their Journal is still regularly updated with this as ours used to be. It generates a lot of discussion over there, and I had always hoped the same would happen for Spartanburg... but despite our member's efforts, these things just aren't published, and the result is that we don't really have a good resource to learn what kinds of things we have to look forward to in Spartanburg until we read about it in the Herald-Journal.

I admit that its possible that we simply don't have enough going on here to make something like that worthwhile, but somehow I doubt it. There is always more going on than the general public is aware of. Maybe there just isnt enough interest from readers? Who knows.

As am I... I've lost some interest in the Journal, because they started leaving out the TBA's and other tidbits. Also, are they in a transition between free and paid subscriptions? I can go to Wild Wings's and pick one up, but if I'm in front of Lime Leaf across the street, then I have to buy one from the box. I'm confused.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived