Spartanburg Journal Discussion

Spartan

Couple of items from last week's journal.

A good article about QS/1 being 242 listed on Computer Software 500. It is the only Upstate software company listed in the top 500 which is based on revenue.

also a new restaurant is coming to the old Hammond-Brown-Jennings Goodwill store at the corner of St. John and Church. It is not named, but said work could begin soon.

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You're right about Church Street. The sidewalks are a little narrow for my taste and there isn't hardly any parking. maybe they have a larger plan then we're aware of.

Also, Itsa Boutique moved to a Church street location beside Sandella's. It would also be great if some of the store fronts in the Montgomery building could be opened back up. Don't know what Cleveland's plans are. Hope he paid his taxes.

That location next to Sandella's is ok. Its north of Dunbar where it gets bad. I wish that they would widen the sidewalks and put in some windows on the Mongomery building. That is such wasted potential.

The problem is that Church St is such an important throughway that they can't narrow the streets at all unless they are willing to take out the turning lanes (which probably won't happen). What they should do is look at Columbia. They have no separate turning lanes in many places. But they will have lights with turning arrows so you can just turn if you need to. I know its a crazy concept, but I've seen it work elsewhere.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

some good stuff in the TBA's this week:

We have a new cafe in Spartanburg: The Ishi Cafe, located at 172 E Main. The article mentions that it is a coffeehouse.

Crossroad Coffee at Church & Main is scheduled to open this month.

A third coffeehose might be coming to downtown at an undisclosed location.

(this would make 4 coffee shops downtown in total!)

Groundbreaking for a new multi-storey building at Liberty and Broad migh thappen sooner than planned.

"Multi-storey"....good stuff. I'm assuming this is in the 4-6 storey range perhaps?

Yes. I believe that is what I read at a previous date. Probably closer to 4, considering the very small size of that lot, and that it is supposed to be similar to his other development only a block a way at Liberty and Main, if you are familiar with that. I'll try to post a picture of that one later on.

I am having trouble locating that pic, but I know its around somewhere. It is possibly back on my computer at home.

The Journal this week says that there are 2 new banks coming to E Main- one is at E Main and Hall (on the Johnson Development) and the other is at a location slightly east of there. Costco is also considering Upstate locations....

This week's TBA:

There will be a new Food Lion at E Blackstock and Hwy 221.

The Town Square shopping center at E Main and N Pine has been purchased, so expect to see some projects there....

The owners of Hub City Grill are opening a new resaurint in the same shopping center called 'Pranza.'

The front page article of this issue was particularly interesting. The Montgomery Building could get a facelift, both interior and exterior. Some of Cleveland's people are working to get it on the National Register of Historic Places. NRHP would require that it be restored to its original state. That means that the original exterior inlcuding the copper bay windows woudl be restored. It hints that something would be done with the Carolina Theater. and specifically mentions the restoration of the old arcade shops that used to face Church St.

However, since this is Aurthur Cleveland we're talking about, there is some uncertainty as to what exactly is going on. Still, its exciting to think that there is still working being made to get this project going.

I think that it woudl be cool to see the Carolina Theater tied in with the arts community in two ways- it would be beneficial to associate it with the new Cultural Arts Center. I am not certain what the capacity is of this theater, but I would think its near 150-200. That would be appropriate for small time shows/acts/plays/etc. The other way would be to use it as a movie theater for independent films and what not. Something like the Nickelodeon theater in Columbia is what I have in mind.

Next week will be the last chance I have to pick up the Spartanburg Journal for some time. I hope that we can continue to get them and post the TBA's and other interesting tidbits provided by this paper.

Any volunteers would be very much appreciated!

It would be fascinating to see the level of interest in an independent film theatre in Spartanburg. One would play movies that most in the area would be opposed to. I'm sure there are many in support, but I'm curious about the long term support level. Perhalps a smaller Indy theatre/cafe would be a better investment?

TBA mentions that construction on Khols is continuing rapidly. I note that they had their exterior nearly complete two weeks ago.

They also mention that Books-a-Million is looking to open its first Spartanburg store. A potential location is the old Goody's next to Lowe's.

I note that once this is filled, Hillcrest will have sucessfully replaced all of its empty boxes except for Harris Teeter. The city has certainly lived up to its word on filling the many big boxes that used to plague the city. Now they need to focus on the second half of the former westside Wal-Mart and the former Best Buy and Lowes (also on the westside) as well as the old Pier 1 /Winn-Dixie location in the Circuit City shopping center. It seems to me that the westside should have no problem filling spaces.

Spartanburg needs a Books-a-Million. The one on Laurens Road in Greenville has been a favorite store of mine for over a decade now, even since Barnes and Noble opened their second (huge) G-ville location on Woodruff Road. Anderson has had a BAM for several years now, so Spartanburg needs to get on the ball. :)

Today's journal has an article on the Mayor's second term. Basically a reprint from the HJ mentioned in other threads.

TBAs:

It is a restaurant called the Lime Leaf coming to the corner of Main/Church with Crossroads coffee underneath.

A billiards parlor called The Break Room is moving into the old Crazy Horse on St. John across from the site for the new arts center. There is talk of second parlor opening soon. No location given.

Still working on the Southside supermarket...

Archived