Spartanburg Journal Discussion

Spartan

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What? How can the all of the newspapers be so wrong about it? I distinctly remember reading that one of the owners said that she would go home and cry the say it closed. They posed for pictures in the Journal. Something is not right about this. Maybe they changed their minds?

Thanks for keeping us updated hub-city!

I am interested in this Lime Leaf. Any word on what kind of food they will serve?

Not that I know of. They have applied for a beer license. I think it is good to get unique shops and restaurants downtown. (nothing against Wild Wings) If this one has good food, I'll do my part to keep it in business.

I"m just excietd that we are getting some more variety, and that it is moving up Main St. This will be the 3rd establishment of the restaurant/cafe nature to open up recently (the othe two being Cafe Isha and the Crosstown Coffee or whatever its called).

I wonder what kind of business it woulkd take to pull people further up Main St?

Have not had time to read the Journal yet, but I always go to the TBA's first and there is some pretty cool stuff this week so I'll give ya the entire quote.

"Watch for a new business on Morgan Square in the former Cardinal Finance location. So far, nothing definate about what the new business will be..."

"Look for a major building project off East Pearl Street. Houses are already being torn down..."

"People looking for a new downtown condo might not have to wait much longer. We heard a new high rise condo building could be coming to the heart of the city..."

All three of these sound great to me, but remember "high rise" in Spartanburg could mean 3 floors.

Fantastic. Thanks for posting these :)

Anything that replaces a finance company is fine with me.

What on earth would go on East Pearl besides some sort of annex for Regional? That area strikes me as moderately sketchy.

Highrise in Spartanburg is certainly a relative term, but I take to mean about 7-8 floors (eg- the Marriott) or higher. Anything that can be seen from a distance oretty much fits this category. I wonder where they will try to locate it this time? We've had the one on E Main and the one in Renaissance Park fall through. I think if they were to locate it closer to where things are going on it would be more successful. Anderson has two residential rennovations in the works, I see no reason why Spartanburg could not pull off something new.

I believe Community Journal would publish only information they feel is relatively accurate, therefore making the rumored residential "high-rise" a true high-rise (i.e. 10+ stories). I wonder if the developer has a mixed-use project in mind. It would aid in the further growth of downtown and also help to support a larger building. This is indeed good news, if it will be well designed. :thumbsup:

From today's journal:

Wofford is planning a $15 million student-housing village. It will include apartments and a village store. The first phase will have housing for 74 students with an eventual goal of 300 students after all 3 phases. It will move Wofford over to Pearl street basically connecting it to SRHS. It seems that the buildings will truly have a neighborhood look providing for lots of green space etc.. and the apartments will have the same italian Collonade style that is seen on the Snyder House and other campus structures. While city officials are never excited about losing tax generating land, they know the trade-off is positive in this case.

Nice article on Jerri Green's real estate buisness downtown. She has seen Sptbg through all the tough times and is excited about what is happening. She says she is working with around 10 clients who are considering moving to the CBD. They include lawyers, restaurants, small software company, just to name a few. She would love to see a small grocery store to serve the 120 apartments downtown.

TBAs

A new retail complex and luxury apartments are coming to a site at Reidville and old River Road on the westside.

Pranza American Grill is now open in the old Canyons.

The Limeleaf will be an upscale Thai restaurant and is bringing in two authentic chefs.

Another restaurant is close to a deal on downtown space, but details are being kept secret.

Expect to hear some more news soon about a collaboration between people trying to plot the futures of Spartanburg and Greenville

The Upstate Alliance is planing a 30 second spot on the Golf Channel aimed at showcasing the Upstate as a place to do business.

Ah. That solves the mystery about what could go on Pearl Street. Thats a great thing though. I have been saying for years that Regional and Wofford would eventually grow together. Perhaps some sort of medical program coudl come out of it? The houses inbetween could be rehabbed for college students pretty easily I think.

I read on hub-bub that Pranza is pretty good.

Thats good news about everything. Thanks for keeping us updated hub-city!

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I've misplaced my Journal. I think the wife had something to do with that as she was cleaning. If I get a chance I'll pick one up and give a more thorough update but one thing that I do remember from the TBA's is that hopefully by March, an announcement will be made concerning a tenant for one of the floors in the renovated Beaumont Mill.

The Southern Conference headquarters is already located there and I'm sure they would love some company.

So that just leaves the ground floor right? Interesting. I look forward to seeing what else is there.

Hard to tell. The southern conference is actually in the wing closest to the railroad tracks, so that leaves all 3 floors of the main structure (all the windows) available. Wish I knew more.

Couple of items from today's journal:

Another article on the landfill debate. Leaders are looking to the deal that was brokered in Pa. looking to land a similar one here. Waste management doesn't give much hope to that because the markets are different.

A neat aticle about the greeters that are downtown. They were used during construction on Morgan Square and schedule to stop in December, but several of them have stayed around, greeting people on the square and in the garage.

Another article about downtown growth. It mentions that the average price for the retail market was $10.59 per sq ft. while the Upstate average is $9.38. Retail vacancy rates are also going down rapidly , 16% to 13.7% in 05,even though there has been some big closings like proffitt's and winn dixie.

Article about the opening of the North Grove medical park on hwy 9. 160,000 sq ft building will hose several practices, a pharmacy, and another Symposium Cafe.

TBA's:

It looks like an oyster bar is coming to Ezell street right off of Main.

Founders Federal is building a branch right beside the new North Grove medical park.

A sensible growth seminar at the Marriott on the 17th at 7:30 AM breakfast provided. no charge.

look for potential retail construction at the corner of Calfornia ave. and Whitney road.

Interesting updates :)

Its good to hear that retail vacanty rates are dropping over all, despite loosing a few stores. The HJ reported that the mall was down to an 83% occupancy rate, which is the lowest it has seen since the rennovation (about 10 years). Maybe its time for another rennovation?

Also, what will become of Whitney Rd? Is it hopeless?

• 2 weeks later...

Lets try again:

There is an article on a panel conducting a review of the practices of the fire departments in Spartanburg. Deals with efficiency, special districts etc...

A great article on a Clemson student's vision for the old Converse mill on Hwy 29. Her name is Jessica Brown and has done a lot of research into the mill and has a plan for condos, retail and restaurants with a lot of walking paths etc... while this is not a true proposal, the real estate owner hope that developers might see this and be inspired to act.

TBA's

There is a new bar coming downtown into the former Mimi's deli beside the bloodbank. Should have a quite relaxed lounge-like atmosphere. Don't know if this is the same one that was announced by the owner of Clyde's fitness. He is opening one called Oscar's and the paper said it was beside his fitness center. Mimi's is across the street but the paper could be mixed up about which side of the street it is on.

Lime Leaf opens today at 5:00

Building permits have been granted for another restaurant in the Morgan Square area. 157 W. Main Don't know what type.

Converse is selling the Cleveland house which is across Main street from the college. Converse used it for events and receptions.

Look for more trucking companies to set up shop in Sc with our emphasis on our ports and distribution facilities.

There is an article on a panel conducting a review of the practices of the fire departments in Spartanburg. Deals with efficiency, special districts etc...

I wonder if the panel would suggest consolidating some services between the cities and the county.

A great article on a Clemson student's vision for the old Converse mill on Hwy 29. Her name is Jessica Brown and has done a lot of research into the mill and has a plan for condos, retail and restaurants with a lot of walking paths etc... while this is not a true proposal, the real estate owner hope that developers might see this and be inspired to act.

I would like to see these plans realized. The Converse Mill community would benefit greatly from the mill's restoration and growth that would follow.

Look for more trucking companies to set up shop in Sc with our emphasis on our ports and distribution facilities.

Columbia and Spartanburg come to my mind to set up terminals. Both are served by two or more mainline Interstate highways and share one of them that feeds into South Carolina's major port city, Charleston. With I-73 being realized and completing I-26's western extension to Ohio, South Carolina will see an increase role of freight transversing from the port to Ohio Valley states.

Thanks for posting that :) I am glad to hear that more businesses are coming to downtown that cater to the later crowd.

I think that the Converse-Clifton area has enormous potential as a bedroom community. Each has its a mill in tact. Converse has to deal with 29 ripping a hole in it, but I think it can manage.

Maybe one day.....

Columbia and Spartanburg come to my mind to set up terminals. Both are served by two or more mainline Interstate highways and share one of them that feeds into South Carolina's major port city, Charleston. With I-73 being realized and completing I-26's western extension to Ohio, South Carolina will see an increase role of freight transversing from the port to Ohio Valley states.

You definitely have to add Orangeburg County to the list. With I-26 and I-95 converging in the eastern part of the county, I wouldn't be surprised to see trucking terminals pop up there.

A few TBA's

The average annual salary in Spartanburg County is $33,344 while the state average is $30,240. Still the nationwide average is 37,508.

Spartanburg County colleges awarded 4,754 bachelor's degrees in business administration and management from 2002-2004. That was the highest in any major. The lowest was computer programming with a total of 12.

Plans to install free wireless across Morgan Square are still in the works. You can currently get wireless in the Sandwich Factory, Isha Cafe, Crossroads coffee, and Panera Bread.

Hotels are off to a good start in 2006. Lots of people coming to look at prospective clients.

Greenville has a lower than average number of healthcare workers, which some are predicting to be the next big job market in the Upstate.

Archived