Spartanburg Journal Discussion

Spartan

That is a good location knowing you can move things along the Atlantic coast with I-95 or move them inland with I-26. I think more businesses can be attracted if the I-25/I-95 interchange was reconfigured out of its full cloverleaf state, which is a separate issue.

SCDOT needs to start with repaving the interchange or something. Potholes galore!

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From today's journal:

Nice article on Vulcan's donation of 100 tons of granite for the Chapman Cultural Center form their pacolet quarry. It is not only a great financial gesture, but I think it also gives them a sense of pride knowing that their granite will provide the foundation for the center. One neat tid-bit is the fact that the columns at the statehouse are made with Pacolet Granite.

There is also an article on the National Beta Club. A lot of people don't know that it was founded in Spartanburg and has it's national heaquarters here.

TBA's

Ben & Jerry's is reportedly looking for a location in Spartanburg...

Planning for bike lanes along Converse Street and wider sidewalks that would connect to soon-to-open Hub City Connector portion of the Palmetto Trail to Renaissance Park are under consideration..

Music on Main will remain in the Denny's plaza. There was a rumer it might move down to Morgan Square.

Rack Room Shoes is moving into Hillcrest Shopping Center...

There is a public meeting concerning the Eastpointe shopping at 2115 East Main. The meeting is at city hall on March 16 @ 7 pm. The developer will be there.

The Sandwich Factory is adding the Hershey's line of ice cream and will be open untill 9 pm on Wed- Sat. for desserts and coffee.

I think so also. I do know a lounge is coming across from the plaza and maybe they are trying to develop more foot traffic up and down Main.

I would bet money thats what they are trying to do. Plus, its not like Morgan Square is that far from Denny's Plaza. Its 1 block. It helps everyone, IMO.

TBA's from today's Journal:

Look for a sandwich shop chain that's looking to open a store on Morgan Square. Site not chosen yet.

A film festival might be coming to Barnet Park. There's a group working to pull together such an event for this summer.

A widening project for Hwy. 295 at the sports complex is in the works.

"Bicycle" magazine has called the Assault on Mt. Mitchell one of the top climbs in the country. Riders ride up 11,000 vertical feet in the 102 miles from Spartanburg to the summit of Mt. Mitchell. The ride is set for May 6. (is 11,000 feet correct?) WOW

Look for a sandwich shop chain that's looking to open a store on Morgan Square. Site not chosen yet.

A film festival might be coming to Barnet Park. There's a group working to pull together such an event for this summer.

"Bicycle" magazine has called the Assault on Mt. Mitchell one of the top climbs in the country. Riders ride up 11,000 vertical feet in the 102 miles from Spartanburg to the summit of Mt. Mitchell. The ride is set for May 6. (is 11,000 feet correct?) WOW

The 295 widening project from Cedar Springs westward to US-221 is long overdue. The two lane road used to be deserted but now is busy and dangerous. I predict lots of new development once the road is widened.

It is actually 11,000 feet of vertical incline, which means that for that distance, they will be traveling uphill, but obviously not completely vertical. :thumbsup: That is indeed impressive.

All great information! I wonder which sandwhich shop it could be? There are so many.... My guess is it will be a sub shop like Firehouse or Quiznos. I would really like to see a Beezers or Jersey Mikes.

Thanks for posting the TBAs hub-city! I hope that we can evenutally muster the support and commentarty that could earn UP a plug in the Spartanburg Journal, much like Greenville has done :)

The 295 widening project from Cedar Springs westward to US-221 is long overdue. The two lane road used to be deserted but now is busy and dangerous. I predict lots of new development once the road is widened.

Indeed. I think that it already is. Just look at all of the developments that have popped up since they announced that they were widening that road. Granted its only a handful, but its a start. The other end of 295 is filling in quickly.

i think that the old winn-dixie shopping center at cedar springs is a prime location for redevlopment esp. with the widening of 295. If i could develop that area I would build new apartments/homes/retail in that area. I think it would be a great move for apartments and homes since the sports complex is right there beside it. That area could also use some more restuarants. there is also easy access to downtown. i think that whole area could really explode including some office space.

i think that the old winn-dixie shopping center at cedar springs is a prime location for redevlopment esp. with the widening of 295. If i could develop that area I would build new apartments/homes/retail in that area. I think it would be a great move for apartments and homes since the sports complex is right there beside it. That area could also use some more restuarants. there is also easy access to downtown. i think that whole area could really explode including some office space.

That is a fantastic idea. I think Johnson owns that shopping center. I think that area is prime real estate for something. I know that I would go there if there were more restaurants, etc.

if you really think about it that area has tons and tons of potential. there is really easy access to downtown via 295 to 221 and i forgot to mention that camp croft is so close. they could really clean up the pool there and there area also tons of bike/hiking trails in there. there are also more trails, tennis courts, a lake, and the baseball stadium in duncan park that is right off of 295. not to mention all of the ball fields at the sports complex. If someone would invest and build new homes and apartments, including nice wide sidewalks with proper lighting, trails to the sports complex, and nice landscaping this area could be the envy of many parts of the city. I think that office space and retail space, including resturants would make it even better. If only i had the money...

Been out of pocket for a few days...sorry. Here is a few things from the journal.

Overall crime dropped in 05, but there is still some "hot spots" where crime has increased.

Article about the Sunrise Summits development on the Middle Tiger river. It will be a state-of-the-art community with broadband fiber optic technology in all the houses. It will not have the "cookie cutter" look, but there will be an architectual review board. The 107 acres will feature townhomes, patio homes, and single family houses. They want to create a "Converse Heights" of tomorrow.

Tba's

Spartanburg downtown airport will be getting an air taxi from SATSair.

Look for redevelopment of a 5,000 sq. ft. building at 124 Magnolia Street. 1/2 block from Morgan Square.

Developers are wanting to build a boarding kennel on the west side.

Been out of pocket for a few days...sorry. Here is a few things from the journal.

Overall crime dropped in 05, but there is still some "hot spots" where crime has increased.

Article about the Sunrise Summits development on the Middle Tiger river. It will be a state-of-the-art community with broadband fiber optic technology in all the houses. It will not have the "cookie cutter" look, but there will be an architectual review board. The 107 acres will feature townhomes, patio homes, and single family houses. They want to create a "Converse Heights" of tomorrow.

Tba's

Spartanburg downtown airport will be getting an air taxi from SATSair.

Look for redevelopment of a 5,000 sq. ft. building at 124 Magnolia Street. 1/2 block from Morgan Square.

Developers are wanting to build a boarding kennel on the west side.

Fantastic! There is only one building on Magnolia that is empty I think. Thats good news about the crime rate as well. Is that for the city or the coutny?

Not a whole lot from today's journal...

There is an article about the growth in Boiling Springs. It discusses traffic and the growth of the schools. There are plans to widen Hwy. 9 from Old Furnace up to Hwy. 292. Most, if not all, of the schools are at or over capacity. They are building a new intermediate school which will help some.

Not much in the way of Tba's...

QS/1 is starting a consulting service targeted at grocery store.

Not a whole lot from today's journal...

There is an article about the growth in Boiling Springs. It discusses traffic and the growth of the schools. There are plans to widen Hwy. 9 from Old Furnace up to Hwy. 292. Most, if not all, of the schools are at or over capacity. They are building a new intermediate school which will help some.

Not much in the way of Tba's...

QS/1 is starting a consulting service targeted at grocery store.

Boiling Springs is a never ending problem. They are also slated to widen Old Furnace and Parris Bridge Roads. Have any of you ever had the bright idea to drive up there during rush hour? I have. I was not fun at all. That type of congestion shouldn't be happening in little ol' Spartanburg.

Boiling Springs is a never ending problem. They are also slated to widen Old Furnace and Parris Bridge Roads. Have any of you ever had the bright idea to drive up there during rush hour? I have. I was not fun at all. That type of congestion shouldn't be happening in little ol' Spartanburg.

For the life of me, I have not been able to understand the appeal of living in Boiling Springs. Nothing but generic sprawl as far as the eye can see...

For the life of me, I have not been able to understand the appeal of living in Boiling Springs. Nothing but generic sprawl as far as the eye can see...

I completely agree. But that is the way of things. People seem to like it, which is why its the fastest growing part of Spartanburg County. Its the same reason that Roebuck is growing so rapidly. If you think about it, Boiling Springs is Spartanburg's Mauldin.

Except that Mauldin has the generic suburban interstate office parks. One thing Mauldin is doing right that Boiling Springs might ought to consider, is creating a new master-planned city center complex to give the town a recognizeable epicenter of focus. They have had a City Hall for years, but now this complex, complete with biking trail, will complete the effort. :thumbsup:

Except that Mauldin has the generic suburban interstate office parks. One thing Mauldin is doing right that Boiling Springs might ought to consider, is creating a new master-planned city center complex to give the town a recognizeable epicenter of focus. They have had a City Hall for years, but now this complex, complete with biking trail, will complete the effort. :thumbsup:

Boiling Sparings is not an incorporated place, so you wont see anything like that. When Mauldin was the size of Boiling Springs, they did not have office parks. The parallel is that Mauldin is one of Greenville's major suburbs, as Boiling Springs is to Spartanburg.

Boiling Springs is not an incorporated place, so you wont see anything like that. When Mauldin was the size of Boiling Springs, they did not have office parks. The parallel is that Mauldin is one of Greenville's major suburbs, as Boiling Springs is to Spartanburg.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived