Spartanburg Journal Discussion

Spartan

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Few items from today's journal:

Great article about the explosion of ice cream shops in the upstate. (still looking for one besides Baskin Robins downtown)

a new salon called Sweet Tea on Pine w/ some new concept of hair care and Italian products.

the Bijou downtown has tenents in f of its six apartments downtown w/ rent running between 1,000-1,200. they also have lined up about have on the 9 retail spaces street level. (Still room for a Marble Slab ) opening announcement could be soon.

leaders looking for more Fortune 500 companies and research development.

Looking for more Fortune 500 in what capactiy? And research? That is entirely too vague.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Tell me about it. all it said was the lack of Fortune 500 companies was part of our reason for not catching up with surrounding states. didn't give any ideas on what to do about it. Same thing with research.

Not a ton of new "new" stuff in the TBA's

I think I had mentioned that Carolina First was the anchor for Johnson's new building on Main. The Journal list has it is Carolina Southern. (is there a difference?)

A Thai restaurant is looking at the former Canyon's property.

The Upsate Alliance's showcase, where business leaders come in and check out the area was a success. It may become an annual event.

Also, there is a great insert spotlighting area entrepreneurs and their businesses.

From today's TBA's

- The building across form Qs1 is starting to get a few tenants namely Corbin Properties and Lyles Darr & Clark law firm

- The Masons are considering selling the masonic temple near Morgan Square.

- Look for some potential major changes to one of the city's most traveled streets. (my guess would be Main from Converse St. - Pine)

I dislike these vague references!

Thanks for posting these though :)

Which building accross from QS/1? There are two lots, the buildings accross Spring St and the buildings around Sonnys. I think there is a law firm in fron of Sonny's but I don't know that to be the same firm.

The masonic temple could potentially have some cool reuse. I am not sure how considering that there are almost no windows. Maybe some sort of theater?

I wonder what these changes to the streets are? I hope its the plan to remove the serpentine section of Main St.

Here are the quotes by Gary Henderson in the TBA's:

"Watch for possible major changes in the appearance of one of the city's most traveled streets..."

"Masons at the Masonic Temple are considering whether to sell their building at 190 W. Main Street."

"The refurbished building that served as a matress retail store on Daniel Morgan Avenue between St. John and West Main streets will become the home of the Lyles Darr & Clark law firm and Corben properties in mid-october"

If this is OK to do, then I'll be glad to simply quote what I'm reading. Wasn't trying to be vague. i couldn't remember the name of the building, but it is the Warrior Duck building on Daniel morgan. I assumed that since we were talking about it in the development section that people would relate. My bad.

That's great news about the Masonic Temple. I've always thought it is out of place on Main Street these days. Now something like a theatre would be unique. Maybe a dinner theatre? You can easily cut windows into these kinds of buildings, so if something else were to be considered I wouldn't be surprised. :)

A dinner theater would be awsome. I think that is the winning idea :)

Its true that you can cut windows into it, but I am of the mindset that since so much of Spartanburg's history has alrady been taken down, we should be very strict about preserving what is left.

Couple of items from this week's journal.

There is a nice feature on the owners of the Inn at Main building a retaining wall using stones that date back to WWI. The stones were part of columns that were in front of the officers club. Now they are joined to make a wall that is in between the Inn and the Montgomery park that is being restored and expanded.

It looks like we were right about Main Street. there's an article talking about turning Main from Coverse to St. Johns street to a two land street with parallel parking and trees on both sides. Still doesn't say anything about the curvy downtown section. The city manager thinks the city will get behind the idea, but it might take up to a year to get the permits since it is a state highway. However, with the Morgan Square project winding down, he hopes that city engineers could be freed up to work on the plan.

TBA's

The Institute of Cosmetic Arts will be moving into the old Ryan's on John B White Blvd.

The Bijou International Market hopes to open in November. In addition to several yet to be named shops, they will feature a number of small self-serve spaces that include gift items, flowers and small household items. Also, food to go shops will feature salads, sweets and sandwiches...

Several USC Upstate classes are conducting surveys for the city to determine what types of shops, events, and activities that people want in the downtown area.

TBA's and tidbits:

Two downtown revialization projects on Main have city leaders excited. On is the old Celena's building on Church across from Wild Wings. (The green succo building) I think this one is a restaurant, a coffe house, and apartments upstairs. The other is at Main and Liberty. They say is will also be mixed use.

Spartanburg's transportation future will be discussed at an Upstate Transportation Summitt on Nov. 9 at the BMW Zentrum.

City leaders are talking with property owners heading west out of the CBD on what can be done in the future as far as growth, streetscape etc...

• 2 weeks later...

TBA:

• Workers are finishing the construction of a new autoparts store on John B White Sr Blvd & Highpoint Rd. The building relaces a dilapidated structure that was on the site.

• Watch for a national tenant on the 1.2 acre out parcel at the WalMart Supercenter on Spartanburg's Eastside. The proprty was recently purchased by Spencer-Hines.

• Mixed-use development that will include multi-family housing and retail is coming to a 20 acre site near the Steeple Drive-In on the city's Westside...

• Habitat for Humanity has purchased a 15,800 sq ft building at 2270 S Pine St. Cobden's Tim Satterfield said the home building agency will move its thrift store to the site...

• Growth will be a key topic next week at the Upstate Together conference in Greenivlle. A group of Upstate agencies are coming together to discuss how to make the area counties better.

Exciting news! Mixed use near the Steeple Drive In is certainly the most welcome news.

Does anyone know where the Habitat for Humanity's current thrift store is? I'm thinking its downtown somewhere but I honestly can't place it. Now if they would just move the Salvation Army's store at W Daniel Morgan & Main.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry I missed last week. If I can find it, I'll update.

As for this week:

A developer has expressed interest in the Salvation Army Thrift Store as well as the burned out structures behind the building.

Architect David Schwarz has contracted with the city to redesign the Renaissance Park Project.

There is a new Japanese restaurant coming downtown at the corner of Liberty and East Main.

Also there is about 70 million in building projects currently in the downtown area. Carrage House Wines is open and Crossroads coffee and the Bijou International Market should be the next two businesses opening up hopefully in late Nov.

More pavers and landscaping are starting to happen around Morgan Square.

Spartanburg Area Conservancy has received a grant of more than $500,000 to purchase 40 acres near the headquarters of Chinquapin Creek. The property is on the south side of 585 across from Milliken. it adjoins the 20 acres that Spartanburg Regional wants to put a hospice facility.

Archived