Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TheBostonian

Architectural Tour Of Boston

Imagine it is your job to select 10 or so sites for an architectual tour of Boston (and metro). I suggest choosing not simply buildings you like, but rather those which you consider notable architectually. I'm very curious how other members' lists will vary.

My list:

Boston City Hall

JFK Library

Hancock Tower

Prudential Center Complex, including 111 Huntington (and its lobby fountain)

Custom House Tower

Stata Center @ MIT

Simmons Hall @ MIT

New ICA

Zakim Bridge

Imagine it is your job to select 10 or so sites for an architectual tour of Boston (and metro).  I suggest choosing not simply buildings you like, but rather those which you consider notable architectually.  I'm very curious how other members' lists will vary.

My list:

Boston City Hall

JFK Library

Hancock Tower

Custom House Tower

Stata Center @ MIT

Simmons Hall @ MIT

New ICA

Zakim Bridge

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

well im not from boston, and im not too familiar with all of the areas architecture, but i know you hit the nail on the head when you said the zakim bridge and city hall. is the JFK lib the same as the boston public library? hancock tower is a must too...and i know mit has lots of new age buildings (are these the ones you have on your list?). all in all, to an out of towner, this list seems pretty satsifactory.....in this case i think an out of towners point of view might be better than the locals, because the buildings on your list are the ones that stuck with me the most and were thus the most impressive....good list.

Imagine it is your job to select 10 or so sites for an architectual tour of Boston (and metro).  I suggest choosing not simply buildings you like, but rather those which you consider notable architectually.  I'm very curious how other members' lists will vary.

My list:

Boston City Hall

JFK Library

Hancock Tower

Custom House Tower

Stata Center @ MIT

Simmons Hall @ MIT

New ICA

Zakim Bridge

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

that's a good list. i don't know too much about many buildings in boston, so as it stands, i think my list would be the same as yours. i would add south station just because i really like it. :D

well im not from boston, and im not too familiar with all of the areas architecture, but i know you hit the nail on the head when you said the zakim bridge and city hall.  is the JFK lib the same as the boston public library?  hancock tower is a must too...and i know mit has lots of new age buildings (are these the ones you have on your list?).  all in all, to an out of towner, this list seems pretty satsifactory.....in this case i think an out of towners point of view might be better than the locals, because the buildings on your list are the ones that stuck with me the most and were thus the most impressive....good list.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It is the JFK Presidential Library and Museum. Google it.

You should also google "Simmons Hall" and "Stata Center" to see the whacky new MIT buildings. The latter is a Frank Gehry building.

It is the JFK Presidential Library and Museum.  Google it.

You should also google "Simmons Hall" and "Stata Center" to see the whacky new MIT buildings.  The latter is a Frank Gehry building.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

wow. those are impressive buildings. there is a building in boston that i love more than all the others, but it is shorter than some of the extremely tall ones...ill try to find a pic...it is like a missle-shaped building...sorta like a torpedo or something, really nice. ill look around for it.

Right on. Isn't it wonderful? 111 seems to be very popular among anyone who cares about these things. And I love seeing the Back Bay skyline grow and be filled in with new buildings.

i like 111 too. there's a building in charlotte that is very similar that i also like. my fav. building in boston is the custom house. the original building and the tower.

If there is an easy consensus on the list of sites for an architectural tour, can anyone take it a step further.

Imagine you are planning a tour of Boston's architecture for architects in training. You need to find examples of several schools of architecture.

I am quite ignorant about architecture, so I am mostly making this up and some of these schools are just silly placeholders until I learn more. But my attempt would go like this:

Brutalism: Boston City Hall (I think I have this one right)

Art Deco: Old Hancock Building

Classicism: Custom House

Deconstructivism: Stata Center

Plasticism: Millennium Place

Glassicism: 33 Arch

Postmodernism: 1 Lincoln

1980sism: 75 State

Modernism: Hancock

I am quite ignorant about architecture...you sound like you got a good handle on it to me, i wouldnt even know where to begin with your question.