Savannah Downtown Housing?

mainstreeter

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was just about to post a similiar question. I'm curious about residential in the more urban parts of Savannah -- I guess I mean, not along the riverfront and not really like "old Savannah." Like, what's that area back around the SCAD theater? I'm only vaguely familiar. Sorry. :)

you obviously don't live in Savannah, Savannah is more dangerous than any city in the country of its size, it has a higher murder rate than atlanta, and its like 20 times smaller, savannah has charm downtown, but 90% of the city is just ghetto and dirty, and scary, 2weeks ago I saw a guy shot in the head laying in the middle of a parking lot, you know what thats like, fun stuff, savannah is having the growing pains of a large city but yet its small.

WOW!

That was an eye opener. You'd never guess that from outward appearances.

How is it that the urban core is so beautiful yet the city is so dangerous? Savannah is supossed to be an enchanted southern belle city.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It is indeed enchanting to the tourist. I certainly loved going down there, but, from what I understand, it is the historic district, which is beautiful, and then slums on all sides surrounding it (that may be a bit exaggerated, though). The reason the historic district is so well kept is because the national park service or whatever looks after national historic places mandates that it be well kept.

It suffered quite a decline in the early to mid1900's (40's-70's). however, it has been through somewhat of a renaissance since then.

• 2 weeks later...

I pray that Savannah one day becomes a big city that rivals Atlanta. One thing that's always bothered me about Atlanta is the fact that its just there in the middle of nowhere not next to any body of water(which is one of the causes of its sprawl) Savannah is a great city because its on such a beautiful setting what with teh river and the harbors and the ocean not far away. I just really want Savannah to grow and become something like the Manhattan of the south. That would be so cool. I mean, the city has the potential to do so, it just has to put its mind to it. I don't want to detract growth from Atlanta or anything, but I just want GA to have another city to brag about besides Atlanta. So all Savannans (?) on this forum, I know you can do it. Make your city the ency of the east coast. Make it the city to go to to see urban growth and old southern charm. You can do it!!! :lol:

Savannah was already the largest city in Georgia & one of the largest in the southeast - it's not anymore. Expecting the city to become as large as you wish it would, would mean tearing the entire city down - everything historic - & rebuild as skyscrapers.

I would hate that to happen. I additionally doubt any skyline will ever be a consideration in Savannah - unless at an edge city around the airport or Richmond Hill.

As for crime, Savannah shares that with New Orleans, additionally Charleston has had their own crime problems as well.

River Street's new view

A bank of concrete silos on Hutchinson Island would be converted into luxury high-rise riverfront condos as part of a major 700-unit complex.

Developer Greg Wallace says designs for his proposed 17-story condo complex on Hutchinson Island draw inspiration from historic buildings just across the river.

It's safe to say, however, that none of those architectural gems were built around a bank of cement storage silos.

Wallace shared plans with the public for the first time Thursday of his unique development just east of the Eugene Talmadge Memorial Bridge.

9876895.jpg

It promises to dramatically change the view from Savannah's waterfront: Three high-rise condo towers will rise along the river under the plan, fronted by a docking facility for yachts and a bricked riverwalk.

Behind those buildings will be a series of lushly landscaped Savannah-style squares, framed by a mid-rise complex and another high-rise to the rear. An underground parking garage will lie beneath.

More than 700 condo units are planned in all.

"We wanted to create a project that had the ambience and connection to old Savannah, but with something that was entirely new," Wallace said.

The property had two distinctive features:

A group of 160-foot-tall concrete silos used to store cement for almost half a century.

And one of the best views in Savannah, with sweeping vistas of the Talmadge, Savannah's skyline, South Carolina marshes and the working ports.

From the beginning, Wallace decided to try to save the silos.

They'd give it a unique touch and interesting story, he figured. And their foot-thick concrete walls were structurally sound.

Architects spent two years working on design plans, studying the silos and other tall buildings in the Historic District.

"The challenge of transforming something rather industrial and somewhat of an eyesore into something real positive seemed like an interesting thing to do and added a little authenticity to the project that we thought was important," said architect Joe Greco, of the Atlanta firm Lord, Aeck, Sargent.

The solution: Half the silos - the rear eight - will be demolished.

The remaining eight will be punched with windows, connected by balconies and wrought iron railings, and capped with a distinctive roof.

A brick pedestal base will skirt the first three floors; the rest coated with stucco.

A traditional high-rise structure will be attached to the rear of the silos, leaving half the rooms in each condo unit shaped round, the other with corners.

Wallace said he expects buyers from across the country, purchasing units as second homes, retirement or for vacation use.

"We expect this to be a destination resort, where you get out of your car and never have to get back in while you're here," he said. "We believe Savannah and Hutchinson Island's time has come."

• 1 year later...

Savannah has a really nice skyline, but you can't see it for the most part because of the trees. The only good views I've found are from the upper floor rooms of the Westin Hotel across the river, or from inside some of the hi-rise apartments.

The slums around the historic core are pretty bad, but they've started taking action to improve things. Garden Homes was removed and replaced by mixed income townhomes. Fellwood Homes has been razed and they're in the process of replacing them, too.

Savannah has a lot of sprawl, too -- pretty much everything south of De Renne Avenue all the way to Richmond Hill.

That 700 unit development on Hutchinson sounds good, but I think they should implement a free water taxi.

• 3 months later...
River Street's new view

A bank of concrete silos on Hutchinson Island would be converted into luxury high-rise riverfront condos as part of a major 700-unit complex.

Developer Greg Wallace says designs for his proposed 17-story condo complex on Hutchinson Island draw inspiration from historic buildings just across the river.

It's safe to say, however, that none of those architectural gems were built around a bank of cement storage silos.

Wallace shared plans with the public for the first time Thursday of his unique development just east of the Eugene Talmadge Memorial Bridge.

9876895.jpg

It promises to dramatically change the view from Savannah's waterfront: Three high-rise condo towers will rise along the river under the plan, fronted by a docking facility for yachts and a bricked riverwalk.

Behind those buildings will be a series of lushly landscaped Savannah-style squares, framed by a mid-rise complex and another high-rise to the rear. An underground parking garage will lie beneath.

More than 700 condo units are planned in all.

"We wanted to create a project that had the ambience and connection to old Savannah, but with something that was entirely new," Wallace said.

The property had two distinctive features:

A group of 160-foot-tall concrete silos used to store cement for almost half a century.

And one of the best views in Savannah, with sweeping vistas of the Talmadge, Savannah's skyline, South Carolina marshes and the working ports.

From the beginning, Wallace decided to try to save the silos.

They'd give it a unique touch and interesting story, he figured. And their foot-thick concrete walls were structurally sound.

Architects spent two years working on design plans, studying the silos and other tall buildings in the Historic District.

"The challenge of transforming something rather industrial and somewhat of an eyesore into something real positive seemed like an interesting thing to do and added a little authenticity to the project that we thought was important," said architect Joe Greco, of the Atlanta firm Lord, Aeck, Sargent.

The solution: Half the silos - the rear eight - will be demolished.

The remaining eight will be punched with windows, connected by balconies and wrought iron railings, and capped with a distinctive roof.

A brick pedestal base will skirt the first three floors; the rest coated with stucco.

A traditional high-rise structure will be attached to the rear of the silos, leaving half the rooms in each condo unit shaped round, the other with corners.

Wallace said he expects buyers from across the country, purchasing units as second homes, retirement or for vacation use.

"We expect this to be a destination resort, where you get out of your car and never have to get back in while you're here," he said. "We believe Savannah and Hutchinson Island's time has come."

you obviously don't live in Savannah, Savannah is more dangerous than any city in the country of its size, it has a higher murder rate than atlanta, and its like 20 times smaller, savannah has charm downtown, but 90% of the city is just ghetto and dirty, and scary, 2weeks ago I saw a guy shot in the head laying in the middle of a parking lot, you know what thats like, fun stuff, savannah is having the growing pains of a large city but yet its small.

Im new to this but I could'nt resist posting. Savannah is not 90% ghetto. I can begin to name neighborhoods within the city limits that are not ghetto. Where my family lives is a nice area off of Skidaway Rd. Near neighborhoods such as Mayfair, before you get to nice areas such as Isle of Hope. Ardsley Park is not the ghetto, Gordonston. Sure I know there is alot of 'ghetto' surrounding the historic district but it does not reflect the entire city. Other places like Kensington and numerous neighborhoods. The nice areas off of Habersham St. between Derenne Ave. and Stephenson Ave. Wilshire Blvd and Largo-Tibet area. You have to see all of Savannah before labeling it as a very ghetto city. I know we have problems but I hate for my city to be depicted like all we have is the historic district then nothin else but slums and projects. I have seen many dirtier places, including some places in other cities in GA that definitely look like people are living below the poverty line. Ive seen scarier places, including cities about the size of Savannah. So how about people travel to places like the malls when they come intown so u can see that Savannah is more than just the historic district and its immediate surrounding neighborhoods.

Im new to this but I could'nt resist posting. Savannah is not 90% ghetto. I can begin to name neighborhoods within the city limits that are not ghetto. Where my family lives is a nice area off of Skidaway Rd. Near neighborhoods such as Mayfair, before you get to nice areas such as Isle of Hope. Ardsley Park is not the ghetto, Gordonston. Sure I know there is alot of 'ghetto' surrounding the historic district but it does not reflect the entire city. Other places like Kensington and numerous neighborhoods. The nice areas off of Habersham St. between Derenne Ave. and Stephenson Ave. Wilshire Blvd and Largo-Tibet area. You have to see all of Savannah before labeling it as a very ghetto city. I know we have problems but I hate for my city to be depicted like all we have is the historic district then nothin else but slums and projects. I have seen many dirtier places, including some places in other cities in GA that definitely look like people are living below the poverty line. Ive seen scarier places, including cities about the size of Savannah. So how about people travel to places like the malls when they come intown so u can see that Savannah is more than just the historic district and its immediate surrounding neighborhoods.

Archived