Triad Geezer Posts

MZT

I dont remember that but I did read something in the newspaper that said Greensboro had a coliseum like facilty downtown before the Lee Street location. The current location (1950s) was built in a fashion very similar to the way Charlotte's old arena (Cricket Arena) was built. Both arenas have an orchestra auditorium next to the arena.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh yea, dont forget, Greensboro's downtown skyline was patheitcally smaller and downtown had no nightlife.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah I remember that also. The first time I saw Greensboro was when my family was dropping my sister off to WSSU. We were coming up 421 from Sanford and there is a point where you can see the skyline. Most people can't see it from I-40 because of the hills but driving north bound on 421 you can. I can say Winston was the most impressionable that day. However almost 4 years later I was in high school and I was on a JROTC trip to NCA&T for a drill meet and we took 421 and we saw the cranes and the new building being built. If anyone does not know about this go about 4 to 6 miles south on 421 then look north and you can see downtown Greensboro.

I remember all of the catalog stores:  Brendles when it was on Bessemer Ave, Best on High Point Rd, and I think it was Emerald's beside Toys R Us at Carolina Circle.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow, brings back memories. My dad was the assistant manager of the Best on High Point Rd. for much of the late 80's/early 90's. Then, he moved over to the Carolina Circle Service Merchandise, and after that back to Best, but the one on Peters Creek in Winston-Salem.

Yeah I remember that also. The first time I saw Greensboro was when my family was dropping my sister off to WSSU. We were coming up 421 from Sanford and there is a point where you can see the skyline. Most people can't see it from I-40 because of the hills but driving north bound on 421 you can. I can say Winston was the most impressionable that day. However almost 4 years later I was in high school and I was on a JROTC trip to NCA&T for a drill meet and we took 421 and we saw the cranes and the new building being built. If anyone does not know about this go about 4 to 6 miles south on 421 then look north and you can see downtown Greensboro.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I know you can see Greensboro's skyline vewry clearly several miles south of I-40 on 421 but you can't see Greensboro's skyline from I-40. It is weird but I-40 is in a valley and there are hills between downtown and I-40 like you said.

I do remember when West Wendover was nothing but trees and made a nice cut through for us driving from my parents to our apartment the short time we lived in North High Point.

I also have some different memories of Jefferson Pilot. One of which was us driving "all the way out there" to get to their offices on High Point Road in Sedgefield to see the cool nativity that was set up there each year. Now you can see only a small portion of it at Greensboro college..sad :/

My mom remembers working out there before she was married. They had just built it and ran a bus for it's workers to ride from town to their new offices. (I think they had to pay a small fee)

My Channel 2 memories include going and being on the Old Rebel show a few times. Your parent called one day to make arrangements for the day you wanted to be there. (reservations if you will) You would be taped one day, and could see yourself on this kid show the next day. As you entered, they would give you a pepsi or coke and you would tell your name and how old you were. You would then go and sit down and enjoy watching the show being taped live. I remember my birthday one year we went and it was Halloween(the day before my birthday), so we wore our costumes. Because it was my birthday, I got to go on stage so to speak and was given by "old rebel" a big carton of MilkDuds. Then on my birthday, I got to see myself on TV.

I do remember when West Wendover was nothing but trees and made a nice cut through for us driving from my parents to our apartment the short time we lived in North High Point. 

I also have some different memories of Jefferson Pilot.  One of which was us driving "all the way out there" to get to  their offices on High Point Road in Sedgefield to see the cool nativity that was set up there each year.  Now you can see only a small portion of it at Greensboro college..sad :/ 

My mom remembers working out there before she was married.  They had just built it and ran a bus for it's workers to ride from town to their new offices.  (I think they had to pay a small fee) 

My Channel 2 memories include going and being on the Old Rebel show a few times.  Your parent called one day to make arrangements for the day you wanted to be there.  (reservations if you will)  You would be taped one day, and could see yourself on this kid show the next day.  As you entered, they would give you a pepsi or coke and you would tell your name and how old you were.  You would then go and sit down and enjoy watching the show being taped live.  I remember my birthday one year we went and it was Halloween(the day before my birthday), so we wore our costumes.  Because it was my birthday, I got to go on stage so to speak and was given by "old rebel" a big carton of MilkDuds.  Then on my birthday, I got to see myself on TV.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow! I have a very faint memory of going on some show like that. I can't exactly remember the name of it. The character was in an arcade game? He was a puppet, of course. My aunt had a salon right across from where it was filmed (around the corner from the Carolina Theater). I went for my birthday as well and remember seeing myself on tv. That is a VERY old memory for me since I'm so young.

Wow!  I have a very faint memory of going on some show like that.  I can't exactly remember the name of it.  The character was in an arcade game?  He was a puppet, of course.  My aunt had a salon right across from where it was filmed (around the corner from the Carolina Theater).  I went for my birthday as well and remember seeing myself on tv.  That is a VERY old memory for me since I'm so young.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The one that I was on was done @ the tv 2 station on Phillips avenue-Greensboro off summit ave. The one I was on was called "Old Rebel" or The old rebel show.

I remember when Randy Jackson first came to WFMY in 1983 or 84. Even though I was only 7 or 8 at the time, I still remember some of the anchors and reporters from that time! Bill Kopald, Cybil Robson, Dave Wright, Charlie Harvell (sports director), Davida Jones, and John Nesbitt (Good Morning Show).

I remember when Randy Jackson first came to WFMY in 1983 or 84. Even though I was only 7 or 8 at the time, I still remember some of the anchors and reporters from that time! Bill Kopald, Cybil Robson, Dave Wright, Charlie Harvell (sports director), Davida Jones, and John Nesbitt (Good Morning Show).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Did you know that John Nesbitt died in plane accident a few weeks ago?

WFMY's Old Rebel show was popular and Kelly Wiggleworth's (From Survivor) father was a part of the show. Kelly Wigglesworth (Runner up to Richard Hatch) actually went to Page High School with me. Its hard to believe I went to school with a Survivor contestant. Jeff Varner, the other Survivor contestant (Austrailian Outback) from Greensboro is now the weekend news anchor in Fantasia Barrino's home town of High Point at WGHP Fox 8.

Greensboro area reality show celebritites

Kelly Wigglesworth (1st runner up on Survivor)

Jeff Varner (Survivor 2 - The Austrailian Outback)

Fantasia Barrino (Winner of American Idol 2004)

Unfortunately, I went to Smith. (class of '94) But being a gadget freak, I used to love the Worlds of Panasonic, where the armed forces recruiting office is. And even though I was very young, I vaguely remember what I think was some sort of jeans store at Westgate center. I can remember my older brother buying jeans from there.

- Remember the movies made in Winston-Salem?  (I'll give you a couple of days to respond to that one)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, since nobody bit on this I'll guess I'll give you the answer...

"The Bedroom Window" filmed in Baltimore, MD and Winston-Salem 1987

"Mr. Destiny" filmed in Winston-Salem and Asheville

There have been some TV movies filmed in the area as well as one TV show pilot that wasn't picked up.

FYI

Unfortunately, I went to Smith. (class of '94) But being a gadget freak, I used to love the Worlds of Panasonic, where the armed forces recruiting office is. And even though I was very young, I vaguely remember what I think was some sort of jeans store at Westgate center. I can remember my older brother buying jeans from there.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I guess you all have that big rivalry between Smith and Dudley like the big rivalry between Page and Grimsley.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived