Triad Geezer Posts

MZT

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Though Winston born and bred, I'm in school in Macon, GA right now and can't believe how spoiled we were with Kroger--it's a great store with really good prices--would really like to see them have a presence in the Triad again. I remember the ORIGINAL Kroger location on Cloverdale with a tile mosaic out front. The Morningstar Storage on Silas Creek Pkwy (across from the Armory) was one as well.

I'm 22 here, but still have plenty of memories of Winston:

-the Thruway movie theatre

-the old McDonalds across where TriStone Bank is now, across from Thruway

-the Lower Mall at Thruway, complete with the public library--I also remember visiting Santa Clause there

-another Santa Clause memory--there used to be a small cottage at Reynolda Plaza where you could visit at Christmas

-the Wendy's in Hanes Mall

-Shopper's Paradise, originally at Cloverdale Plaza

-Roses at Thruway

-anyone remember the Ragazzi's on North Point Blvd?

-the "original" Mayberrys on Stratford right near the old Space Saver and bowling alley

-bowling alley at Parkway Plaza, as well

-buying Christmas trees at the Hanes Mall Blvd intersection and being "in the middle of nowhere"

-the Western Steer

-Crown Drugs

...I can think of many more, haha...

Hmmm.. what else can I think of?

- Sally's Hot dogs

- Thunderbird Drive-In in W-S

- K&W at Parkway Plaza and Coliseum Drive

- Food Fair and Kroger in Parkway Plaza

- Reids Toy Store in Parkway Plaza (can you tell what side of town I grew up on??)

- Peters Creek turning 2 lanes at the current Grace Baptist Church

- KFC on Link Road

- Bill Jackson Toyota/Bill Harris Buick/Healy Chevrolet

- The Golden Apple Gosh, I guess I am a geezer, I forgot it was still open!

- Thruway Movie Theater

I'm sure I can think of some more... lol

Hmmm.. what else can I think of?

- Sally's Hot dogs

- Thunderbird Drive-In in W-S

- K&W at Parkway Plaza and Coliseum Drive

- Food Fair and Kroger in Parkway Plaza

- Reids Toy Store in Parkway Plaza (can you tell what side of town I grew up on??)

- Peters Creek turning 2 lanes at the current Grace Baptist Church

- KFC on Link Road

- Bill Jackson Toyota/Bill Harris Buick/Healy Chevrolet

- The Golden Apple

- Thruway Movie Theater

I'm sure I can think of some more... lol

K&W Downtown was indeed open while Knollwood was, but it closed in 1972 (the year I was born, that's why I don't remember it!)

From K&W's corporate website:

K&W occupied the original Cherry Street (Winston-Salem) location until an urban renewal project forced it to relocate to the outskirts of the downtown area in March, 1972. Many loyal patrons considered the closing of this landmark a

I remember McDonald's in it's original location on W. Market St beside the old Pizza Hut, when Harris Teeter was Kmart with Food Lion next door. I also remember my mom taking me to King's department store where Kroger and now Food Lion is located when I was very young. Almost forgot the Captain D's on the corner where McDonald's is now.

Archived