The Hartford Club | Off-topic posting

Cotuit

Hello Hartford,

My wife and I have been thinking of moving back east from our home in downtown Sacramento, CA. We have been looking at cities that we think we can afford and that have a good urban life. We now live in a wonderfull walking community, lots of shops restaurants, groceries and business within a mile walk of home. (Can you belive it, even in California)

Hartford is one of the towns we have been looking at. Actually, we are looking at Manchester. We now live in a large home that we share with roomates in a co-op type living situation. We own the home, rent out 6 bedrooms and share several thousand square feet of common space. Our roomates have been mostly professional types, although we are multi generational. we often find folks in their 30's seem to want to rent from us.

We would like to do the same thing if we move back to the hartford area. How do you folks think this would work in Hartford?

Anyway, would like to hear from you all.

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Hartford,

My wife and I have been thinking of moving back east from our home in downtown Sacramento, CA. We have been looking at cities that we think we can afford and that have a good urban life. We now live in a wonderfull walking community, lots of shops restaurants, groceries and business within a mile walk of home. (Can you belive it, even in California)

Hartford is one of the towns we have been looking at. Actually, we are looking at Manchester. We now live in a large home that we share with roomates in a co-op type living situation. We own the home, rent out 6 bedrooms and share several thousand square feet of common space. Our roomates have been mostly professional types, although we are multi generational. we often find folks in their 30's seem to want to rent from us.

We would like to do the same thing if we move back to the hartford area. How do you folks think this would work in Hartford?

Hello Hartford,

Hello, this is Mark. I just wanted everyone to know that I have changed accounts. Up until now, I have been Captain59. I have changed to my ID on various Whalers and hockey boards, Mr. Brass Bonanza, since the Whalers and NHL are being talked about more and more here. I tried to change my user name or close my Captain59 account, but it won't let me. So that will remain dormant and I will use this ID for now on. I just wish I didn't have to start my post count all over again!

Hello, this is Mark. I just wanted everyone to know that I have changed accounts. Up until now, I have been Captain59. I have changed to my ID on various Whalers and hockey boards, Mr. Brass Bonanza, since the Whalers and NHL are being talked about more and more here. I tried to change my user name or close my Captain59 account, but it won't let me. So that will remain dormant and I will use this ID for now on. I just wish I didn't have to start my post count all over again!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Thanks for the off topic lounge. We appreciate it. I'm HartfordTycoon. I was born and raised in the "dreaded" North End where I still live on a quiet, safe, tree-lined street with 3 story houses with decks and patios in back yards and where children are safe to play. That may be shocker to those unfamiliar with the North End outside of the sensationalist media reports of poverty and violence. We do have work to do on my side of town, but progress is being made. I am very active in my community and obviously not afraid of the so-called bad parts of the city. I'm an insurance professional and political activist who will make a difference in this city.

I'm from the North End also and I have a feeling I know where you are refering to, in regards to where you live. I have been trying to convince my girlfriend to buy a house on Canterbury but she doesn't want to commute to Hamden. In 5 years I'll be able to choose our location, I pray that Canterbury and Ridgefield Streets will be options.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey all,

My name is Rob. I'm 23 and moved here in June of 2006. I was hired by a local company right out of school, and wanted to live in the city, so I bought a 1-bedroom unit in a restored 6-family on Morris Street. Since I moved here I've been very excited by all the different renewal projects going on, and especially finding out about before/after success stories.

I look forward to contributing to this forum. It's nice to hear that there's other people out there who have as much optimism about this city as I do!

Take care :)

Hey all,

My name is Rob. I'm 23 and moved here in June of 2006. I was hired by a local company right out of school, and wanted to live in the city, so I bought a 1-bedroom unit in a restored 6-family on Morris Street. Since I moved here I've been very excited by all the different renewal projects going on, and especially finding out about before/after success stories.

I look forward to contributing to this forum. It's nice to hear that there's other people out there who have as much optimism about this city as I do!

Hey all,

Hey all,

I saw this and thought some of you guys might like it. The website, censusscope.org, shows different maps of different "spheres of influence".

This map is interesting, showing results of their online survey to this question:'

"On the level of North America as a whole, what major city do you feel has the most cultural and economic influence on your area overall?"

415673655_8a1260f0a3_o.gif

It's really interesting how much influence Detroit has on Michigan, even the farthest reaches of the Upper Peninsula. It's also interesting how large Grand Rapids' influence is reaching, especially along the lakeshore as far North as Ludington or so.

There are also maps with identifications to NBA teams, NFL teams, and many other aspects. Post your favorite.

http://www.commoncensus.org/

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...