The Hartford Club | Off-topic posting

Cotuit

I never said your point of view is not relevant or that crime was not a problem, especially in the commercial area. But I live here and nothing has ever happened on my street. I mean NOTHING AND NEVER. I know for a fact that 99% of the houses in my neighborhood are owner occupied. Come to Canterbury, Ridgefield, Plainfield, Thomaston, Holcomb, Pembroke, Colebrook street and over 90% of the houses are one family anyway.

Problems don't go away by ignoring them, but exaggerating them can add to the feelings of being trapped and desperation that young people feel in the inner city. Everone focusing on what's wrong and nothing about what is right skews even our own view of our community. Come to my neighborhood and you would agree that it is one of the best in the city, trust me. Almost all of the kids from my street went to college. I grew up with many young black people who are now Doctors, Lawyers, Insurance Professionals, or currently still in school. No one ever tells the success stories. That's the part that makse the youth think it's not cool to be smart and that staying in school won't make a difference. Now, I also know many who are not on the right path in life and for my part I try to get everyone to go either to college or trade school. It may shock you to believe that most of the people that you see and are scared of are decent people who may have made mistakes early in life and now have very limited options.

I guess my point is we all know there are problems but not nearly enough people know the stories of good, hard working people, living in tough neighborhoods that make it out. My parents make over 150k a year combined and I make close to 50k. They did not have to raise me here, but I wouldn't have had it any other way. I'm a better person for it, and don't judge people on looks alone. Not saying that you do, but alot of people do. Anyway I'm done for now. I should be doing work right now.

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Point taken. I only know the commercial area where my father works, which is unsightly. That's the area most passers-by pass through. I'd love to see the other side.

And you're right, I've never heard those stories. I don't think many have. But it's your story to tell.

Point taken. I only know the commercial area where my father works, which is unsightly. That's the area most passers-by pass through. I'd love to see the other side.

And you're right, I've never heard those stories. I don't think many have. But it's your story to tell.

Exactly, becuase shootings get ratings on the local news and graduations don't. It just a part of life I guess, but the bad always gets more attention than the good. I just wanted you and everyone who reads this to know that there are other sides to that reality and not everyone in the so called hood is hooked on drugs and disfuntional. And even those who are have potential either not yet realized or sadly already squandered.

I have worked in Hartford for the majority of the last 10 years. I work for the phone company, so I get to go inside all the buildings, business and residential, I get to talk to the owners, to the tenants, to the neighbors, and I get to see all sorts of things going on, good and bad. Hartford, right now, is as good as I've seen it. There are still some terrible places in the North End, or around Broad St, or Park St, but things are getting better, in my opinion. When I started working in the city in '95, there were probably 10 buildings I would have considered living in, now I can't count how many. I ended up buying my house just to the south of the city, only because SBC had moved me to Bridgeport, so driving from Hartford to Bridgeport wasn't an option, in my mind. Before that, I was seriously looking at buying a condo in Bushnell Towers. It's a shame I didn't, if I could have eaten that drive time for the year and a half, I'd now be looking at Real Estate that may possibly have doubled in price....

Exactly, becuase shootings get ratings on the local news and graduations don't. It just a part of life I guess, but the bad always gets more attention than the good. I just wanted you and everyone who reads this to know that there are other sides to that reality and not everyone in the so called hood is hooked on drugs and disfuntional. And even those who are have potential either not yet realized or sadly already squandered.

You are absolutely right when you say that negative attention always gets the press and not the positive. My point in my previous posts has nothing to do with perceived notions of the North End or any other area in the city. There are plenty of areas in Northeastern cities that are way more culturally diverse than any area in Hartford. They balance each other out and are a lot more functioning than an area that is overwhelmingly populated by one ethnic group. Savin Hill in Boston, the Armory in Providence, Forest Park in Springfield, and Brooklyn are all areas of cities that have extremely diverse populations. They function better cohesively and attract people from all segments of the population. Hartford lacks diversity. I'm not afraid of living in an area where cultural differences are the norm. I prefer it. I have white,black, Puerto Rican, and Dominican, and Cambodian neighbors. I like that. There are areas of Providence where one culture dominates. Broad St. is 75% Dominican and I would never live there. I wouldn't feel comfortable.However, the majority of Providence is very integrated and culturally diverse and that's what, in my opinion, is crucial in the success of a city. That's one of the reasons I don't still live in Hartford today. When I lived there, I felt like I lived in the middle of Rio Piedras, Puerto Rico with all the violence, drugs, and poverty. I didn't feel welcome. I'm different. I'm gay, white, essentially raised by Puerto Ricans, well-raised, and not a flamer. Where do I fit in? Where do I feel comfortable?

Hi,

Born and raised in Manchester. 2 years college in NY, 2nd year college in Boston.

I have an interest for the cities of Hartford and Boston.

Im not the typical Bostonian who will just badmouth a city like Hartford because it is where I am from and there is alot of hope for it.

My family owns a bussiness over towards Bristol.

I know ALOT about Manchester.

Guess thats it for now!

Hi,

Born and raised in Manchester. 2 years college in NY, 2nd year college in Boston.

I have an interest for the cities of Hartford and Boston.

Im not the typical Bostonian who will just badmouth a city like Hartford because it is where I am from and there is alot of hope for it.

My family owns a bussiness over towards Bristol.

I know ALOT about Manchester.

Guess thats it for now!

Hey, welcome. I like your attitude already. Alot of people from the suburbs see no association with Hartford and you see that Manchester is like a part of the Greater Hartford Region. That's good. Manchester, IMO is a model for attracting businesses. Even though they have created a Spawling Landscape that reminds me of Atlanta.

I've read a lot of negative press recently in Manchester, that crime is on the rise and the schools are getting worse (the latter of which is similar in Windsor). With all of those jobs and tax revenues, what is going wrong with Manchester? Or is it just bad PR?

I've read a lot of negative press recently in Manchester, that crime is on the rise and the schools are getting worse (the latter of which is similar in Windsor). With all of those jobs and tax revenues, what is going wrong with Manchester? Or is it just bad PR?

It's very simple really. As they tear down high density housing projects left and right in the city those residents more and more are begining to move to the suburbs. Manchester has a vast amount of run down housing stock and rental communities that are quickly being converted into section 8 housing. To put it simply parts of Manchester are turning into the Hood and there is nothing anyone can do to stop it. The only real focus needs to be on education and opportunity for the disadvantaged among us. I would say that Windsor still has a very strong public school system and has many more upper and middle class blacks than Manchester which probably has more minorities living in poverty. Poverty is the root cause of all crime, lack of education and opportunity is the root cause of poverty. We must tackle the root issues here. Crime fighting needs to be done, but crime and poverty prevention are far more important.

Edited by HartfordTycoon

It's very simple really. As they tear down high density housing projects left and right in the city those residents more and more are begining to move to the suburbs. Manchester has a vast amount of run down housing stock and rental communities that are quickly being converted into section 8 housing. To put it simply parts of Manchester are turning into the Hood and there is nothing anyone can do to stop it.

Very smart man.

A little while back manchester did let section 8 housing in...which is a good way to get bad pr(even though farmington has sec.8 as well)

Manchester is rapidly growing more urban- ESPECIALLY with schools.

I remember at Manchester High School we had 2 bus fulls of students sent over from Hartford everyday.

Part of programs to get students out of the city.

This did give them an advantage- But sort of helped send the education force in manchester a little downhill.

Im not saying that is the sole reason. There are many.

A need for a new High School is overdue.

Discussions have been started and dropped constantly-

Main issue- no where to put it! No logical land/money choice can be determined- and I believe theyre gonna get off just renovating the building again. They already have portable classrooms with more to come.

Ironic how so many business can pop up out of nowhere in Buckland but a school cant be initiated.

I'm sure New Haven can support the demand for a conference center...

There's a value to a convention center, even if they don't turn their own profit. I went to the Festival of Trees at the Rhode Island Convention Center last week (which was totally hokey, but would have been cool if I had kids to bring, but I had free tickets so I didn't mind the hokiness), and this weekend I'm going to go to the RISD Alumni Art Sale at the convention center. These groups pay to use the centre, but they don't bring in crowds that fill hotels like a real convention would. But... these events wouldn't have a home if we didn't have the convention center. I'm sure they'd find someplace to go, but it is just so great to have this downtown space where event like this can be held. It doesn't bring much money, but it is an intangible benefit to the livability of the city.

I don't think a convention/meeting center will flood New Haven with business, but even if it struggles to break even, events will be held there that will have a positive affect on the way people view the city as a place to go to do and see things.

About a month ago, I went to a beer festival in Providence- The Dunkin Donuts Center.

HUGE crowd. They had to start turning people down at the door.

Hartford needs a crowd like that.

I feel like Hartford turns into the sh*tshow of the surrounding cities/towns.

In providence, this was great. Everyone was mature about it.

It was a great time.

• 4 weeks later...

I just wanted to note that since we all have been contributing to this forum it has climbed from the least popular in New England and now has surpassed Boston in terms of number of replies. It's good to see a healthy passion for our city and it's future. UP provides us with a good space for these discussions. I'd like to thank everyone just for being interested in Hartford.

Edited by HartfordTycoon

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, I was just encouraged by JayHass's revival of the "moving to hartford

from Atlanta" thread to post something of my own. I just moved here

a week ago from California; I'm currently living in 55 on the park

(subleasing for 6 months with an option to stay longer) and working

in east hartford and, basically, I'm trying to make sense of the

Greater Hartford area. I've actually been lurking on this board

for a few months now, as well as regularly reading articles

in the Courant pertaining to downtown development, so I already

have some sense of what's going on and the big issues that

everyone is concerned about. In particular, I'm in agreement

with everyone else who is astonished and appalled at the

sea of surface parking in downtown and more than a little

frustrated with the glacial pace at which the

colt/sage allen/front street/springfield-hartford-new haven rail-line

projects are progressing. Overall, I guess I'm optimistic for

Hartford, though, and I hope to play some small part in reversing

its fortunes (hopefully something more than just being another downtown

resident).

I did want to ask a question of you all, though - one that

the residents of this area might have a good perspective on.

Basically, what are the options for getting to and from NYC

from here? It looks like I might actually try to go in for

grad school two weeknights per week starting in the fall

(granted, this might seem like a bit of a crazy proposition

but my company is willing to pay for all my tuition etc

so it makes sense to me). Of course, if we had a better

rail link with New Haven it'd be cake; since we don't,

however, I'm kinda pondering the option of

driving to New Haven to then catch metro north...

except, that there's a huge parking problem at the

station there (apparently) and it might still be full

when I arrive in the mid-late afternoon. I guess

I was just wondering what you all thought of the

issue of getting to NYC in general (and perhaps

my little problem in particular).

Oh, and does anyone have any good recommendations

for furniture stores (I went to Bob's, the Puritan Outlet

and Raymour and Flannigan today, but wasn't sure they

had precisely what I was looking for).

Thanks!

Mudcrab

I'm thinking Milford and definitely Stratford would have worse parking problems. They are smaller cities with smaller lots, and they are closer to NYC, therefore giving them more people trying to vie for those same spots. The closer you get to NYC the worse parking gets at the train stations. Stamford might be the exception, they have a nice big garage if memory serves. In my opinion, your best bet is New Haven, that's what I always do. I think I've only run into a parking problem once, but I don't go that often, so it may be a skewed opinion.

We bought our furniture at Raymour and Flannigan, that seemed to be the place that worked hardest to please us. Prices were decent too. Bob's has a reputation for having a lower quality of product with good prices, despite what their add's say.

BTW, welcome to Hartford, glad to have you around, and make sure you put your 2 cents worth in on these boards, we do.... ;)

Welcome to Hartford. By the way - how is the living at 55 on the Park. If you don't mind - how is the rehab holding up. Do you see/interact with your neighbors. Is there somewhere to eat breakfast on the weekends? Do you use the Park?

You can get to NYC quickly on I-84 to I-684 and right down the Saw Mill Parkway. That is about 105 miles to the tip of Manhatten. Start further west on I-84 and you take off time and miles.

Oh, and does anyone have any good recommendations

for furniture stores (I went to Bob's, the Puritan Outlet

and Raymour and Flannigan today, but wasn't sure they

had precisely what I was looking for).

Thanks!

Mudcrab

IKEA in New Haven at Long Wharf

Mark

All the times I have used the New Haven station I have never come across a parking issue, however I also have not used it much during the weekdays.

One option could be Amtrak to New Haven, if the job is paying for it I would think this might be a option to look into. Although Amtrak doesn't have the frequency a comuter train has, I am sure you could figure something around its schedule.

As for Furniture, it seems you have hit up most the spots I would have. Ethan Allen is a bit pricey but has nice things. Ikea in New Haven is hit or miss in my oppinion.

I would also love to know how things are going on at your residence. How is the overall feel of the place, how are neighboors, do people seem to be enojoying it. Have you found places to eat downtown, and places to go out on a night? Hartford has a bunch of hidden gems in my oppinion for eateries and night live, you just need to explore.

For furniture, has anyone been to the new design center in Parkville? Do they have reasonably-priced pieces?

My best friend growing up just signed a lease in 55 on the Park, so I'll be taking the dime tour soon. Until then, I'm curious as to what the downtown pioneers in those buildings are going through feeling the place out.