The Hartford Club | Off-topic posting

Cotuit

I think the the Design SourceCT or whatver it's called in Parkville requires you to have a designer's license in order to buy items. I read that they allow the public to tour the facilities and take a look at what they have though, but your professional designer would have to come with you to buy things is my understanding.

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One option could be Amtrak to New Haven, if the job is paying for it I would think this might be a option to look into.

When I lived in NYC the company I worked for had an Enfield ( :sick: ) office. People would sometimes take MetroNorth and Amtrak to get from one to the other, but I remember it not lining up too well for actual commuting on real commuting hours. People from Enfield would get to NYC around 10am. I'm not sure if they just didn't feel like getting in until 10am, or if it truly wasn't possible to make a good connection to be able to arrive by 8 or 9.

Really? That doesn't sound very good, but they must have a reason for it.

Well, I think they are pretty much a design wholesaler, so the prices that they sell the merchandise at is probably alot cheaper than what would be considered full retail. I could be wrong though, I just remember when they were featured in the NYT that it mentioned this. I remember being glad that I had a proffesional interior designer in my family, so that I could go and buy without a problem.

okay, so 55 on the park... it's actually pretty good, really. I live in one of the

one-bedrooms (along the "long" northern side of the building) with a lovely

view of the SBC building ;) Oh, well, I imagine it's much cheaper than the

park side ones and I can always see the park if I want to. I do rather like

the way my apartment is laid out; the kictchen and bathrooms are both

beautiful, I do appreciate having grey (rather then beige) carpet, and I

like the solid doors and wooden closets. The gym downstairs is adequate

and there's a nice room with a pool table down there too. And now for

some things that aren't quite so wonderful...

1. The parking situation in the lot next to the building is kinda awkward

at times (with two rows of cars on either side and the need to leave

the attendent your keys if you're blocking someone). I'm sure this

is nothing compared to parking in NYC, but it's a little different

to what I'm used to.

2. Various little things in my apartment give the impression that

the people who made it didn't care all that much. There are

various depressions and uneven parts on the walls that nobody

bothered to fill in, and rough parts in the paint job. The floor

over which the carpet runs is also a bit uneven in places (with

bumps and even a metal plate to be stepped on in the bedroom).

3. I always hear the sound of running water in the pipe-work;

I'm not sure if this is typical of mid-rise living but I'd kinda like

to get away from it sometimes...

Overall, it's pretty good, though and I'd recommend it. The

concierge and security guys downstairs are very nice (as

are most of the other dwellers, it seems, but I haven't gotten

too much of a chance to talk to them - but I'm on "nod-hello"

terms with quite a few ;) ).

- mudcrab

From having frequented that building a bit back in the SNET days, it sounds like it has taken a big step up. I'm assuming the aparatments have nice, tall ceilings? I recall the ceilings being high due to all the communications equipment that we used to have on all those floors...

I usually drive from Hartford to New Haven and take the train to Grand Central, however when I am feeling exceedingly lazy there's always the bus from Hartford to Port Authority. Parking at the New Haven train station is only a problem during the week- I've never found the garage/lot full during the weekend. And even during the week, there are other lots in the area and there is a garage about 15 minutes walk away that has a shuttle to the train station.

Regarding furniture, it really depends what you're looking for. I was impressed by Fly By Night up in Northampton, MA for high quality apartment furniture. And I'm sure you know that we finally got an IKEA.

I did want to ask a question of you all, though - one that

the residents of this area might have a good perspective on.

Basically, what are the options for getting to and from NYC

from here? It looks like I might actually try to go in for

grad school two weeknights per week starting in the fall

(granted, this might seem like a bit of a crazy proposition

but my company is willing to pay for all my tuition etc

so it makes sense to me). Of course, if we had a better

rail link with New Haven it'd be cake; since we don't,

however, I'm kinda pondering the option of

driving to New Haven to then catch metro north...

except, that there's a huge parking problem at the

station there (apparently) and it might still be full

when I arrive in the mid-late afternoon. I guess

I was just wondering what you all thought of the

issue of getting to NYC in general (and perhaps

my little problem in particular).

Oh, and does anyone have any good recommendations

for furniture stores (I went to Bob's, the Puritan Outlet

and Raymour and Flannigan today, but wasn't sure they

had precisely what I was looking for).

Thanks!

Mudcrab

asylumhill, thanks for the info! Do you happen to know where the other garage with the

shuttle actually is? (I'll actually be trying to go into NYC two nights during each working

week - hence my very real concern about parking).

Oh, for everyone else... another thing I noticed about 55 on the park is that while

the two elevators are gleaming, they didn't seem to do anything at all to refurbish

the stairwells. They're really kinda grotty - it doesn't befit the place at all.

and yes, the ceilings in the apartments are rather high as MadVlad noted...

One other thing, the bloke from the courant who's always writing about Hartford

complained about the landfill up on I-91 a while ago... I have to admit, I never

really noticed it until I looked out for it especially when I was coming in on

I-91 S the other day... and I have to say it doesn't really look all that bad.

I think I probably just mistook it for a hill. The Truck Depot on the other

side of the freeway is more unsightly IMHO.

- mudcrab

One other thing, the bloke from the courant who's always writing about Hartford

complained about the landfill up on I-91 a while ago... I have to admit, I never

really noticed it until I looked out for it especially when I was coming in on

I-91 S the other day... and I have to say it doesn't really look all that bad.

I think I probably just mistook it for a hill. The Truck Depot on the other

side of the freeway is more unsightly IMHO.

- mudcrab

I agree, I grew up in Hartford and Windsor, so driving past the dump was nearly a daily ritual. It used to stink to high heaven, but in the last 5-10 years since they started to extract methane and kill the smell I've barely even noticed it. I'm sure it will be turned into a park eventually.

• 1 month later...

I just read through all posts and I must say I like what I am reading. I as well have noticed that Hartford is definitely on the upswing. The convention center and new hotel look really great downtown. plus the adidition of the science center will really make the skyline look great.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello! I was born at Hartford Hospital and have lived within a 15 mile radius of the city all my life (Hartford, Glastonbury, and Newington). I'll be 35 years old next month and have no desire to live anywhere else, especially while witnessing the resurgence of our city right before my eyes. I was a Whalers season ticket holder and was crushed when the team moved. However, I have been very active in trying to get the NHL back to the city, and we are as close now as we have been in the past nine years, and things are only getting better for the cause.

I work downtown, and from my cube window I can see the backside of the Sage-Allen construction. Is had been really interesting, in particular, watching the underground parking garage construction. As we all know, Hartford has way too many parking garages, so putting those eyesoars underground is the way to go.

I also watched the construction of the convention center every day, and it took me years not to look at that site and not envision the Patriots stadium. But now I like what I see, including the science center that is finally under construction, and soon Front Street, or whatever they might call it. One thing I wish they would get into gear about is the hotel on Constitution Plaza. Hopefully, someone will buy both the WFSB building and the hotel together and do something in unison. That has great potential.

I love working downtown and watching the progress the city makes every single day. No doubt things are moving up for the Hartford. The best days are right around the corner!

Mark

Edited by Captain59

asylumhill, thanks for the info! Do you happen to know where the other garage with the

shuttle actually is? (I'll actually be trying to go into NYC two nights during each working

week - hence my very real concern about parking).

- mudcrab

It is the temple street garage- if you go to www.infonewhaven.com they have a PDF of the shuttle bus schedule. I'm sure someone more in the know could direct you to a spot within walking distance of the train station though. The shuttle is kind of a pain.

• 4 weeks later...

Damus, it does need to improve its BUSINESS CLIMATE, but I believe they'll drive more businesses away. Southern states are more business friendly and until voters of Connecticut wise up, more people -- and businesses (including HEADQUARTERS) -- will leave.

Connecticut (mostly Fairfield County) used to have more HEADQUARTERS then most (except NYC), but now Fairfield County is not in the top 5 in terms of HEADQUARTERS.

Do I think Connecticut will be business friendly? I'm not sure... I hope so.

JimS

The Dems in the state legislature seem to think that raising taxes wouldn't have an effect on the economy. When will they ever learn that the economy will always stay stagnet, unless we make it more friendlier to do business here. THEY JUST DON"T GET IT!!!

Yeah, lets try to keep politics out of it. I'm not even gonna comment. Both parties are very culpable in different ways to the stagnation of the state. CT is too conservative and anti development/urban development and taxes are too high. We also have the distinction of being a donor state, meaning that for every 2 dollars we send to our friends in DC we get 1 back. Maybe that's the real problem.

Edited by HartfordTycoon

Sigh... can we keep politics out of this?

Sorry guys, I didn't mean to bring up politics. I just get frustrated with the anti-growth laws that the legislature seems to always pass. P.S I'm independent anyways and have no love for both parties. I just mentioned the Dems, because they are the majority party. Anyways peace out.

Edited by drc72

Unfortunnately politics is the cause of the problem. The Dems are in the pocket of the unions and that means anti-business laws and regulations. It's devastated the business community but as long as the unions deliver votes, don't expect a change.

Good Point! We need to vote in politicians that help the economy, not kill it. PS This is not a democrat or republican thing. It's about the future of Hartford and Connecticut.

Sigh... can we keep politics out of this?

MadVlad:

Why shouldn't politics be part of the discussion? If you want to know what went wrong with Hartford is the Democrats. I believe that if Hartford wants to thrive -- it needs all parties (Democrats, Republicans and Norton-Sheff's Green to be strong) Yes, I'd vote for a Green candidate IF the person wasn't so ANTI-BUSINESS.

I believe that if the parties were stronger I believe that maybe Hartford's schools would improve and more middle class families (and gay families, too) would move to Hartford. I believe Hartford will be a stronger city... and At least we can say that we NEVER had a RAY NAGIN mayor! :)

JimS

Sorry guys, I didn't mean to bring up politics. I just get frustrated with the anti-growth laws that the legislature seems to always pass. P.S I'm independent anyways and have no love for both parties. I just mentioned the Dems, because they are the majority party. Anyways peace out.

drc:

As someone who is a right of center Republican -- up in Connecticut, that is... here in Florida, I'm to the left of most of the Republicans!! :)