The Hartford Club | Off-topic posting

Cotuit

DODD AND LIEBERMAN FOR PRESIDENT! ;)

That kind of support won't get you many friends around here! ;) Ironically, most of the regular Hartford forumers lean to the right, myself included. However, I'm a huge fan of Lieberman, I think he's great and really cares about serving his constituents. Dodd is another story. :sick:

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That kind of support won't get you many friends around here! ;) Ironically, most of the regular Hartford forumers lean to the right, myself included. However, I'm a huge fan of Lieberman, I think he's great and really cares about serving his constituents. Dodd is another story. :sick:

Steph, I'm a fairly liberal democrat so at least you have me if you post any more fodder for political debate . These guys are all big W fans. :D Welcome.

Edited by HartfordTycoon

Hello. I'm Stephanie. My family came from Sicily to Middletown in the 1920s. My parents moved to Cromwell in the 1970s, and I was graduated from Cromwell High in 1993. I went to school in Boston thereafter and never went home. I miss CT a lot, and I've always been concerned about Hartford's redevelopment. It was such a big issue when I was growing up, but it seemed to go nowhere in the 80s and early 90s. I'm glad things are different now, and it's nice to get caught up.

Hi Stephanie. Where in Sicily did your family come from? My grandparents came from Floridia, Siclily (right outside of Siracusa) which is actually one of Hartford's sister cities. They came to Hartford, started a family and owned rooming houses first in the North End and then in the West End before moving to Wethersfield in the early 90's. Middletown is also another great city, just this past weekend I was at St. Sebastion's Church for the Saint Sebastion Feast on Washington Street near Main Street where there many native Sicilians also.

I'm pretty sure Jerry leans to the right economically, DRC leans to the right. I've professed to be a Republican voter based on Libertarian principles. I hate the Bush Admin, btw... I vote "red" for small government and gun rights... it seems the only thing I agree with liberals on are legalized drugs and leaving gay people alone.

He said most, not all lean to the right. I'm positive that Tycoon is to the left.

I'm pretty sure Jerry leans to the right economically, DRC leans to the right. I've professed to be a Republican voter based on Libertarian principles. I hate the Bush Admin, btw... I vote "red" for small government and gun rights... it seems the only thing I agree with liberals on are legalized drugs and leaving gay people alone.

He said most, not all lean to the right. I'm positive that Tycoon is to the left.

.....And proud of it. I don't think I agree with the right on anything. At least not the extreme wing of it controlling our country at this point and running it into the dirt in the name of family values and fighting terrorist. I care more about helping those Americans who need it most and if put a little itty bitty dent in a rich person's wallet, so be it. You see, I have a more intimate knowledge of how the system is designed to let most people fail, so that they support the rich with their consumerism financed by credit.

Hello. I'm Stephanie. My family came from Sicily to Middletown in the 1920s. My parents moved to Cromwell in the 1970s, and I was graduated from Cromwell High in 1993. I went to school in Boston thereafter and never went home. I miss CT a lot, and I've always been concerned about Hartford's redevelopment. It was such a big issue when I was growing up, but it seemed to go nowhere in the 80s and early 90s. I'm glad things are different now, and it's nice to get caught up.

Cool! My parents are from Melilli Sicly. They moved to Middletown back in the 60's, but we moved to Cromwell in 1996. Although I disagree on who you want to be President.

Hi Stephanie. Where in Sicily did your family come from? My grandparents came from Floridia, Siclily (right outside of Siracusa) which is actually one of Hartford's sister cities. They came to Hartford, started a family and owned rooming houses first in the North End and then in the West End before moving to Wethersfield in the early 90's. Middletown is also another great city, just this past weekend I was at St. Sebastion's Church for the Saint Sebastion Feast on Washington Street near Main Street where there many native Sicilians also.

Hey CTman what did you think of this year's Feast? It seemed like their wasn't to many people when the Nuri ran.

Edited by drc72

Cool! My parents are from Melilli Sicly. They moved to Middletown back in the 60's, but we moved to Cromwell in 1996. Although I disagree on who you want to be President.

Wow small world...correct me if im wrong but there are a large number of families in the Middletown area from Mellili.

Hey CTman what did you think of this year's Feast? It seemed like their wasn't to many people when the Nuri ran.

I liked it but I think there was some confussion when the pastor made a long speech and the runners got the wrong signal to run into the church which forced the police cheif to tell everyone to stop yelling and running on so they could listen to the speech...which noone could hear or understand. Nevertheless I liked it...it seemed like there were still a good number of people...I sat next to someone who came all the way from New York City.

Hello! We're probably related ;) My family was from Melilli. There's a few pages in the Middletown phone book of my last name, and I was baptised at St. Sebastian's.

The whole forum here is related. :D:silly:

Did you go to Middletown High?

Hello! We're probably related ;) My family was from Melilli. There's a few pages in the Middletown phone book of my last name, and I was baptised at St. Sebastian's.

The whole forum here is related. :D:silly:

Did you go to Middletown High?

Xavier High School.

Wow small world...correct me if im wrong but there are a large number of families in the Middletown area from Mellili.

I liked it but I think there was some confussion when the pastor made a long speech and the runners got the wrong signal to run into the church which forced the police cheif to tell everyone to stop yelling and running on so they could listen to the speech...which noone could hear or understand. Nevertheless I liked it...it seemed like there were still a good number of people...I sat next to someone who came all the way from New York City.

Believe it or not there is more Mellili people in Middletown, than in the city of Mellili itself. I sensed there was something wrong , because the runners remained outside the church steps for awhile.

I worked at Coca-Cola in Middletown for 4 summers, it is a great city. Middletown has to have one of the largest concentrations of Italians in the state. I know New Haven and Providence flip flop from year to year for most Itialians per capita in the US.

I love gazepis Pizza, I believe thats how you spell it and all the smaller dellis around town. I use to always get free food working for Coca-Cola :)

Hi everyone...I'm new to UP as well...and I'm also from Sicily. (Floridia and Siracusa).

Connecticut really does have a high concentration of Italians. :-]

Welcome Siracusano to UP. Yes CT is loaded with us. In fact a few years back CT was rated as the most Italian state in the country.

I know New Haven and Providence flip flop from year to year for most Itialians per capita in the US.

Johnston, RI is currently the most Italian town in the country, took over from a town in NJ at the last census estimate.

Since this is the Off Topic thread I figured this would be the best place to put this really random comment; I don't know how many of you guys watch Family Guy but they just mentioned Hartford and said that we had a really cool mall here thats kind of under ground (not that I know of). I thought you guys might find this interesting even though this isn't the national exposure we're all hoping for.

Hey all, Clif here! I'm current over in Manchester livin' large at the Mills. Been here for the past 6 mo's and am now in the process of buying a few multi-fams in Hartford in order to move by base of ops into city next month or so. Very excited!

Let me just say these forums are just awesome! It's great to see so many different perspectives on what's going on in a city like Hartford. It's taken me a good 3 mo's just to come to grips with the possibility of moving into the city. For as long as I can remember, Hartford's been a real metropolitan deadbeat - the club/bar district sucked, there wasn't much of a "downtown" feel, and there didn't seem to be much driving new development in the city. That seems be changing now, though I still think there's a ways to go. And that's why I figure it's a great time to invest.

Mind you, I moved up here after buying around New Haven. I've spent a good 5 years watching that city go through an urban renaissance. What with Yale buying up half the city and a surge in NYC'ers flowing into the city to escape $3000 rents, New Haven's really taken off. Even now, the downtown district just keep growing and growing. It's also nice to have a city you can park once and walk EVERYWHERE you'd want to go. It's all so central.

So... my hope is that that Hartford will take a clue from it's sister city down south...

• Give people places to eat, dance, and sleep.

• Make it easy to get around.

• Know, show, and grow your attractions.

• Be a cultural mecca.

• Encourage investment.

• Stay up late.

If nothing else, a city needs to know this: Who am I?

I love cities, travel all over N/E, and go out of my way to vaca in cities around the country as much as possible. You look at places like Boston, NYC, Providence, New Haven, Philly. They've all found that something that sets them apart. Now it's time for other cities like Hartford to step up. Honestly, even Pittsburgh's coming back. What's up with that?!

Hartford, listen to me closely:

Your time is now... or never.

Anyway, hello again, I'm Clif, and to everyone here... keep rock'n these boards! :yahoo:

PS: The title of this post got me excited that there was actually a group of people, The Hartford Club, that met up to talk shop every now and then. With all the perspectives and expertise here, that'd be a great thing. Hint, hint.

Edited by clifster

Welcome Clif!

PS: The title of this post got me excited that there was actually a group of people, The Hartford Club, that met up to talk shop every now and then. With all the perspectives and expertise here, that'd be a great thing. Hint, hint.

Someone needs to set a time and place. We've had a number of face-to-faces in Providence and they've been a lot of fun. It helps to have a mod to host it I guess.

Hey all, Clif here! I'm current over in Manchester livin' large at the Mills. Been here for the past 6 mo's and am now in the process of buying a few multi-fams in Hartford in order to move by base of ops into city next month or so. Very excited!

Let me just say these forums are just awesome! It's great to see so many different perspectives on what's going on in a city like Hartford. It's taken me a good 3 mo's just to come to grips with the possibility of moving into the city. For as long as I can remember, Hartford's been a real metropolitan deadbeat - the club/bar district sucked, there wasn't much of a "downtown" feel, and there didn't seem to be much driving new development in the city. That seems be changing now, though I still think there's a ways to go. And that's why I figure it's a great time to invest.

Mind you, I moved up here after buying around New Haven. I've spent a good 5 years watching that city go through an urban renaissance. What with Yale buying up half the city and a surge in NYC'ers flowing into the city to escape $3000 rents, New Haven's really taken off. Even now, the downtown district just keep growing and growing. It's also nice to have a city you can park once and walk EVERYWHERE you'd want to go. It's all so central.

So... my hope is that that Hartford will take a clue from it's sister city down south...

• Give people places to eat, dance, and sleep.

• Make it easy to get around.

• Know, show, and grow your attractions.

• Be a cultural mecca.

• Encourage investment.

• Stay up late.

If nothing else, a city needs to know this: Who am I?

I love cities, travel all over N/E, and go out of my way to vaca in cities around the country as much as possible. You look at places like Boston, NYC, Providence, New Haven, Philly. They've all found that something that sets them apart. Now it's time for other cities like Hartford to step up. Honestly, even Pittsburgh's coming back. What's up with that?!

Hartford, listen to me closely:

Your time is now... or never.

Anyway, hello again, I'm Clif, and to everyone here... keep rock'n these boards! :yahoo:

Slowly but surely, Hartford is getting there. Welcome aboard.