Lansing Construction and Development: August 2005

RustTown

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What it appears they are using (from what I can see in the rendering) is exterior drywall.  It's usually covered with a "stucco like" covering.  But you never know, it could be limestone exterior panels or some other material.  But if you see a yellowish foamlike board being put up, that's exterior drywall.  You've probably heard us dis this material a lot when it comes to Detroit related projects because if this material is not maintained properly it can get dirty easily, and deteriorate a lot faster than materials such as brick, limestone, stainless steel, etc.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, thanks for letting me finally know what the real name for that stuff is, I really, really hate it. It always seems to manage to turn black or gray and get holes in it.

As for the Stadium District, it's growing on me, but I still witsh this land could be saved for a hotel, it would be an ideal location. But maybe at least construction can start late enough so that they can see the success (hopefully success anyways) of the other major downtown housing projects, and they can build the Stadium district a little bigger, to see 6 floors is all I ask. Lmich, have you heard anything on the progress of Printers Row, any idea when construction will begin? The website is not very helpful.

I haven't heard anything from the developers. I'll email them today. They were supposed to start construction in late June. Fortunately, the renovation of the historic Kerr House mansion is proceeding.

As for the Stadium District, I'm sure if push came to shove they could fit a hotel in the area. Half of the development is parking, anyway, and just to the south are two businesses, which if paid enough, would move (Spartan Taxi and Lansing Trasmission).

I don't think that a hotel would or even should be built where those two businesses are, thats too dissconnected from downtown, at least as it is today. I still think that a hotel is a neccesary part of improving downtown, without expanding the Lansing Center and building a 400+ room hotel, downtown will only go so far. In the long run I think the hotel will be built where the South Grand Ramp and Grandview building currently stand, and the hotel should be built in less than 5 years, I'll be keeping my fingers crossed.

It wouldn't be too disconnected, though it wouldn't be the best location. It doesn't have to be right on Michigan Avenue to work.

Anyway, here's what the developer said today concerning Printer's Row:

The City has offered to replace and seperate the sewers under our property, and the BWL will replace a water main. Even on "hurryup," the planning and scheduling of this utility work has taken all summer. At present we are waiting for the DEQ sewer permit, and expect it any day. We should be able to break ground within two weeks of receiving that notice.

The website is being expanded soon - www.printersrowlansing.com - and may contain production updates.

It seems as if sewer work is holding this up a bit, but is still very much alive.

It's great to see Printers Row cominfg along, it appears as though it is a definate project.

As for a new hotel, I still think it would be best in the heart of downtown, it could really give the nightlife a boost, a location even on Michigan east of the river would not be nearly as benificial to downtown as it would be on Grand. Even that lot at Grand & Michigan would be a good place, something high-profile definately needs to be built there.

I can assure you that a new hotel will not be built next door, or across the street from, from the Raddison. They would raise hell. They already got what they wanted by signing an agreement with the city pretty much saying that the city would discourage any more hotels from setting up downtown.

They wouldn't have much of a choice, if it really comes down to it the city can tell them to get screwed, the Raddison is a joke. The city needs to persue another hotel regardless of the Radisson's wishes. And as far as I know the "gentlemens agreement" expired, so the city has no obligations, besides a new hotel would likely help the Raddison in the long run anyways.

Yeah, I don't know how the current Radisson managers view the environment downtown now, but like you said, it really doesn't matter because the city was never legally bound to hold up that agreement. I'm sure they did that to appease them and because downtown Lansing needed a major downtown hotel.

The area across from Oldsmobile Park would have been perfect for this type of development, but they could easily build it into the future Lansing Center expansion like they want to do anyway.

I think I said this, but the city wants to knock down the historic City Market and use that corner for the hotel. They could just as easily, though, save the City Market and incorporate the hotel into the expansion somewhere else behind the Lansing Center.

hood, how old are you?  :rofl:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

17, when it comes to Grand Rapids, everything I know is through other people, and Grand Rapids being a conservative, racist city is a perception that I have heard over and over again for a long time, including from people who are from Grand Rapids, a couple of my teachers in fact.

As for tearing down the City Market, the city has kind of dropped that idea, after people caught wind of that they immediatly began to complain, I doubt it will happen. And as for building the hotel behind the Lansing Center, I think all that land should be saved to expand the Lansing Center, so unless a new hotel can be built with a very small footprint, it doesn't seem to be a good idea. Maybe something like the Omni Hotel in downtown Chigago could be built, it's very narrow, 40 floors and only 342 rooms, I think the top 14 or so floors are office though. Omni Hotel

17, when it comes to Grand Rapids, everything I know is through other people, and Grand Rapids being a conservative, racist city is a perception that I have heard over and over again for a long time, including from people who are from Grand Rapids, a couple of my teachers in fact.

Omni Hotel

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh, well if you heard it from your teachers, than it must be true :rolleyes: Sorry, I'll let you guys get back to your discussion. OK kids, remember your lesson for today: conservative = racist. lol.

Sometimes we must live in learn. It's actually a stereotype many have of the city, and the city does need to work better in dispelling the stereotype. A little PR could go A LONG WAY for Grand Rapids. People over that way tend to keep to themselves so when rumors and stereotypes start, no one is there to speak up.

With that said, the stereotype is not completely untrue. While I wouldn't go so far as to call Grand Rapids racists (and I really don't know either way since I don't know much about the city), I do think many of the metro's white residents are probably a bit more culturally unsensative or inept than you'd find other places for a metro its size.

I hope that this can be discussed in a more appropriate thread, though.

It's not your fault. Any self-respecting person would want to reply to an accusation made that obviously can't be backed up by the person who said it.

I do want to leave it here, though, and possibly discuss in a more appropriate place than in a development thread. That's even if anyone wants to start up the topic.

Lofty ideas in Lansing: Downtown site on target for Nov. 1 debut

Lansing State Journal

Richard Karp is getting exactly what he wanted out of the former Plaza One Building. With 48 loft-style apartments and 20,000 square feet of office space on the ground level, the $7 million Washington Square building construction project continues.

The development is called The Arbaugh; it used to be the site of Arbaugh Department Store.

"There's an overwhelming preponderance of Cooley Law School students interested in the apartments," said Karp, the developer.

With one-bedroom apartments leasing for as little as $550 a month and three bedrooms as much as $1,150, Karp said leasing is right on schedule, with move-in dates slated for Nov. 1. More than half of the units are leased.

There's also interest in the office space: "We are in discussion with three separate partners for the office space," Karp said. "Two of them are interested in the whole space, while the third is interested in a portion which is more than half."

http://www.lsj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?A.../508200334/1001

Wow. I had never heard the prices. For it's location and the building, that's a steal for a one-bedroom. I'm sure they are going to skyrocket in price over the next couple of years, and will probably go condo, as will Prudden Place Apartments, probably.

I was over by the Meridian Mall today (hadn't been over that way in a few weeks) and had no idea the condos to the west were actually under construction. It may actually resemble a town center before we know it. lol

Two more little development blubs from today:

Downtown to get eatery

A new soup and salad restaurant called Fresh will open by the end of September at 111 S. Washington Square in downtown Lansing. The shop will offer a variety of pay-by-the-pound salads as well as soups and desserts at a pre-set price. Owners Kris Young and state Sen. Buzz Thomas, D-Detroit, will employ two to five people at the shop, which will do catering in addition to being open during lunch from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. There'll be seating inside Fresh for 12 to 14 people.

Preuss pet shop moving to Old Town

Rick Preuss will move his Preuss Animal House to 1127 N. Cedar St. in Old Town by April. The 22,000 square-foot building that used to be a Ford dealership has been emptied and Preuss is divvying up the spaces for each type of animal. "When we first came down here it seemed like a huge project, but we have to take it a step at a time," Rick's brother Rob said. Preuss said this is his fifth animal store. He keeps moving because wants provide more space for customers to see pets.

For the first blub, I'm glad to see places setting up downtown, but they seem to be the lunchtime businesses that only open for a very short time leaving the downtown underutilized. There are currently very few businesses open up downtown after 5 and it's been that way for years. I really hope the city starts aiming towards getting quality business downtown.

As for the Pruess relocation, this is a HUGE thing for Old Town. Like I said before, it may be a pet store, but the extra foot traffic it will create on that end of Old Town will be huge.

BTW, here's an interesting little before and "during" of the Arbaugh renovation. I got to get a better pic of the renovation work, soon.

71arbaugh_before_and_after.jpg

Wow.  I had never heard the prices.  For it's location and the building, that's a steal for a one-bedroom.  I'm sure they are going to skyrocket in price over the next couple of years, and will probably go condo, as will Prudden Place Apartments, probably.

I was over by the Meridian Mall today (hadn't been over that way in a few weeks) and had no idea the condos to the west were actually under construction.  It may actually resemble a town center before we know it.  lol

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was thinking the same thing about those Arbaugh prices, but then again in order to draw the first generation of people living downtown, bargain prices may be neccesary, as you said they will probably go way up when downtown really begins to take off.

Are you talking about those condos I made a post on awhile ago? I had forgot about hearing about them until I passed them when I was out at the Meridian Mall, I only get out there once or twice a year. They are pretty nice, especially for being in Meridian, they usually favor sprawl type developments.

Yes, those are the ones. I think they are called "Autumn Park."

BTW, here's and update on the 400 south block of Washington Square:

The Arbaugh - they are saving the facade for last which is why many may not be able to make a distinction between old and new photos of it. What IS noticeable is that they have already punched out windows in the back of this building which use to be just a blank wall. I do wonder if they will brick up the back as well...hmm....

71the_arbaugh_lofts.jpg

402 South Washington Square - They has glassed it all up, and are not working on the interior as you can see from this pic. They were out working today. This developer is also working on the historic Ranney Building just two blocks north.

71400_south_washington_square_block.jpg

Kerr House - renovation is still on going on this historic mansion that will once again become office space in the Printer's Row condo/office development.

71the_kern_house.jpg

They are doing with 402 what they are doing with almost every building along South Washington Square: first floor retail/office, upper stories residential.

To be more specific, they are building three large lofts in the second floor. I really like this one redevelopment, in paricular, because it has huge windows.

As for The Arbaugh, I will get some pictures of the back. I was glad to hear that Mr. Karp was going to build a new decorative cornice to match the old one. They had to take it off when they glassed-up the building.

Archived