Lansing Construction and Development: August 2005

RustTown

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, but it's rather sparse: www.thearbaugh.com

Here are some of my pictures of the building from last evening along with other random pictures of the area while I'm at it:

The Arbaugh corner

71p1010001_-_the_arbaugh.jpg

Back (with newly punched windows)

71p1010006_-_the_arbaugh__2_.jpg

Capitol Area District Library - Downtown Headquarters

71p1010007_-_library.jpg

Capitol Avenue wall and core

71p1010009_-_capitol_avenue.jpg

Fifth Third Bank Building and Washington Square

71p1010010.jpg

301 Capitol Place - new lofts

71p1010012_-_301_capitol_place.jpg

Cass State Office Building

71p1010015_-_cass.jpg

Capitol Commons office/residential complex off of Kalamazoo

71p1010016_-_capitol_commons.jpg

Looking back at the Arbaugh. Can't wait until they put the cornice on.

71p1010021_-_the_arbaugh__3_.jpg

Grand Tower

71p1010024_-_grand_tower.jpg

Lastly, the Ottawa Street Station

71p1010025_-_oss.jpg

The whole building is rather stripped down from what it used to look like, and I actually think that's an improvement over what was done to modernize it in the past. But yes, the renovation is complete.

BTW, I really should have posted all of this in the designated development thread. lol But, I really can't wait to see what happens with the Cooley Classroom Building and adjacent lot.

BTW, I really should have posted all of this in the designated development thread. lol  But, I really can't wait to see what happens with the Cooley Classroom Building and adjacent lot.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The old Masonic Temple? I have a hard time picturing what kind of project would be appropriate for that building, I would hate to say it, but it just seems like an office building waiting to happen. I'm much mor excited about the future of the Towne Center building, that could be a HUGE project for downtown. The great thing about that project is that it's biggest supporter is the President of Cooley himsef, he plans to push it through and apparently expects the support of the board.

The thing is, the whole area right there is going to be connected in one way or another. I agree, the best use for the old Masonic Temple is probably office space, but with the empty lot that will almost surely be filled with something mixed use, the 301 Place already completed, the Knapp just a building or two away, and the Town Center site this is going to be one large district. It will finally be another downtown district off of Washington but complimenting it.

Now it's just an annoying waiting game too see whats going to happen. It should be interesting seing what is proposed and what is eventually completed. I think that surface lot would be a good place for a mid-rise building, first floor retail upper floors residential. Something modern would fit best I think, something along these lines:

Alright looking:

Addison3Crop.jpg

elevation.jpg

Getting better...

beta-rendering.jpg

Thats it!!!

wi_ext_large.jpg

I would be happy with any of these in that parking lot, actually anywhere downtown, we really need a new residential consruction downtown of the mid or high-rise type, even if it is only 4 or 5 floors, as long as its nice, especially if it is like that 4 story one 2nd from the bottom. And I'm still icting to see what Granger and Ferguson plan for their Shiwassee & Grand project, you heard anything yet?

I also wanted to ask, do you know what is going on with the Mutual Building? Has anything begun yet, any timeline, any further info at all?

*In case you guys don't look at the stickied Lansing construction thread...*

A development update with a small photo tour:

Michigan Capitol

711__michigan_capitol.jpg

712__michigan_capitol_building__2_.jpg

Hollister Building - going mixed use next year

713__hollister_building.jpg

The block

714__michigan_national_tower_profile.jpg

The Ranney Building renovation (lofts/retail/office space) can be seen peaking through on the 200 south block of Washington Square amongst the back of the Cooley Law School Temple Building and the red Capitol Hall.

715__capitol_-_washington.jpg

The vacant Knapp's Centre Building, a former department store.

716__knapp_centre.jpg

Cooley Center, under reconstruction since 1999, will be finished this year with the final finishing of the 3rd and 4th floors which will finally bring Cooley Law School under one roof.

717__cooley_center.jpg

Washington Square Building, under reconstruction, will finish up later in the fall. It will be home to a few state offices, and will continue to be home to Michigania, an eclectic Michigan-themed souvenior shop, on the ground floor.

718__washington_square_building.jpg

East Michigan Avenue, Lansing's linear entertainment district.

719__east_michigan_avenue.jpg

Riverfront Plaza against the Grand with Prudden Place and Prudden Factory, under construction and under renovation, in the background. Riverfront Plaza is part of the Lansing Center's (convention center) most recent renovation/expansion back in the early 90's.

7110__lansing_center.jpg

Boji Tower framed

7111__center.jpg

Some more Allegan Street towers. The upper floors of Capitol Hall, the red-brick building, are home to the Beaner's Gourmet Coffee franchise, the second largest in the country after Starbucks.

7112__east_allegan_street.jpg

Random shot of a downtown block.

7113__core.jpg

Kalamazoo Street Bridge. Through downtown, the river has been cramped and narrowed.

7114__kalamazoo_bridge.jpg

A mural on the side of Riverwalk Theatre which occupies this historic wharehouse along the Grand. The Lansing River Trail can be seen in front.

7115__river_walk_theater.jpg

402 South Washington Square, the old Marshall Music Building, quickly finishing it's renovation into lofts/retail/offices. Diamonds In The Rough Inc. is also redoing the Ranney Building which made a quick appearance in this thread.

7116__402_s__washingotn.jpg

Ahptic Producations, just east and north of Prudden Place, finished it's renovation of it's current home earlier this year. Ahptic (a play on Optic) is a full service production company/facility who's clients have included A&E Biography, MTV, Animal Planet and others.

7117__ahptic.jpg

They REALLY improved the building this 1923-built building on 901 Cleveland just off of Oakland Avenue.

71901_cleveland_street.jpg

An update on part of Prudden Place...it's unfortunate to see that cheap materials are being used, but good to see construction, nonetheless. This is the "Granduer" model. It is one of the styles in this 8 building complex that will include 100+ luxury apartments which will more than likely become condos in the next few years.

7118__prudden_place_apartments_construction.jpg

A new retail center going up near the corner of Cedar and Saginaw just in between downtown and Old Town Lansing. Though, as you can see, part of it will have a drive through for the Beaner's coffee, it's still a decent design for a small center.

7121__retail_center.jpg

Looking over the construction site...

7119__riverfront_towers.jpg

7120__construction_site.jpg

That's all, folks.

Archived