The King in Memphis - No Not Elvis ;)

Rural King

So I was in Memphis this past week (just before the start of Elvis week :D) and got a chance to wander around to various parts of downtown to take photos. Not in a real comprehensive way like I have Nashville (as seen on another forum), but enough to take alot of good pictures with my digital camera.

This will be a totally random thread of pics from downtown and Mud Island so as to throw out alot of variety and keep things interesting.

Tennessee0059-vi.jpg

Tennessee0010-vi.jpg

Tennessee0015-vi.jpg

Looking up.

Tennessee0016-vi.jpg

The historic Sterick Building.

Tennessee0012-vi.jpg

Tennessee0014-vi.jpg

One of my favorite shots.

Tennessee0048-vi.jpg

Tennessee0054-vi.jpg

Tennessee0061-vi.jpg

Tennessee0027-vi.jpg

Tennessee0030-vi.jpg

My favorite building in Memphis - the Porter Building.

Tennessee0024-vi.jpg

Looking up at the Porter Building.

Tennessee0019-vi.jpg

The old, but now refurbished, Kress Building.

Tennessee0020-vi.jpg

Tennessee0021-vi.jpg

Pictures of Main Street

Tennessee0018-vi.jpg

Tennessee0017-vi.jpg

Work on the Lincoln American Building!!!!

Tennessee0029-vi.jpg

Which is this lovely old tower.

Tennessee0026-vi.jpg

The other side of the Lincolm American construction site.

Tennessee0116-vi.jpg

The Hernando Desoto Bridge -from Mud Island

Tennessee0097-vi.jpg

Tennessee0100-vi.jpg

The Mud Island Channel - does it have a more specific name anyone?

Tennessee0058-vi.jpg

Tennessee0062-vi.jpg

Mud Island Ampitheatre on the right and a barely readable flower sign that says " Mud Island"

Tennessee0063-vi.jpg

Skyline from Mud Island

Tennessee0067-vi.jpg

Morgan-Keegan - another fav of mine.

Tennessee0055-vi.jpg

I like Suntrust alot too...but like the old National Bank of Commerce (NBC) logo better.

Tennessee0188-vi.jpg

Tennessee0191-vi.jpg

Tennessee0004-vi.jpg

Well that enough for now. I will do a part two that will show off the rest of the photos I have to share, which will be a random collection of Beale Street, South Main, and downtown pics.

I hope everybody has enjoyed these and will check out the next thread when it gets posted!

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, that's what we're talking about. No matter what the stats say now, Memphis was always the "big city" in the state. I'm with you on the Porter, beautiful. I think when the weather cools a bit, I'll head down for an up close look, camera in hand. Those old highrises are so cool. Excellent tour, I'm ready for more.

The Mud Island Channel - does it have a more specific name anyone?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wolf River Harbor. The Wolf River originally emptied into the Mississippi this way, but the Corps of Engineers created a diversion channel at the north end of Mud Island. This is now a slack-water harbor which has no current, but is still used by some commercial traffic.

I like Suntrust alot too...but like the old National Bank of Commerce (NBC) logo better.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm still sore about this. Not only did we lose a local bank, but a nifty logo too.

I hope everybody has enjoyed these and will check out the next thread when it gets posted!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Great photos! You picked a great day for sightseeing. I hope you enjoyed your visit.

Nice pics! Too bad you missed Dead Elvis Week! lol

Hey, where'd you stay? Our old friend the Best Western, or did you upgrade to the Sleep Inn? I've gone to Memphis and stayed at motels on Hwy 51 up towards Millington. That was interesting. lol

I've always resented the Morgan-Keegan Tower. They tore down the old King Cotton Hotel to build it 20 years ago. :angry: I had many fond memories of tagging along there in the 60's with my dad to lunch with his business friends. Good news: Morgan-Keegan is now the investment banking headquarters of Regions Bank..

Any news on the 28 story Vue apartments on Main? When I was there, they were still moving dirt back and forth. Good to see they're actually working on the Lincoln-American Tower--another deal that was "proposed" a year or so ago.

I look forward to the rest of your photo shoot.

I've still got some from my trip down there in June. I've posted them about everywhere else in cyberspace, maybe I'll post them here too.

Nice pics!  Too bad you missed Dead Elvis Week!  lol

Hey, where'd you stay?  Our old friend the Best Western, or did you upgrade to the Sleep Inn?  I've gone to Memphis and stayed at motels on Hwy 51 up towards Millington.  That was interesting.  lol

I've always resented the Morgan-Keegan Tower.  They tore down the old King Cotton Hotel to build it 20 years ago.  :angry:  I had many fond memories of tagging along there in the 60's with my dad to lunch with his business friends.  Good news:  Morgan-Keegan is now the investment banking headquarters of Regions Bank..

Any news on the 28 story Vue apartments on Main?  When I was there, they were still moving dirt back and forth.  Good to see they're actually working on the Lincoln-American Tower--another deal that was "proposed" a year or so ago.

I've still got some from my trip down there in June.  I've posted them about everywhere else in cyberspace, maybe I'll post them here too.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

ya, about vue on main, werent they supposed to start in april??

anyone know anything about No 1 Beale?

@ Sleepy - Actually it was just a day trip. I left in the morning and got back home about 10. On this trip I ate BBQ at the Rendevous, that was a treat and a first. It was pretty darn hot out and that limited the extent of my excursion to some degree.

The Vue is that same hole in the ground, piled dirt, and two pallet of bricks it was last May when I last past the site on the trolley. LOL This time though there were a couple of cars parked down in the hole, not sure what that indicates.

Thanks for all the great positive responses everyone. They are most appreciated!

@doormanpoet- At one time I used to use an Advance Films Technology camera and scanned all my pics. That gets expensive though when you like to take pictures, limits the number of shots and experimenting, takes time to scan them to post, etc.

@satalac - No Jerry "The King" Lawler on this trip. :( I have seen him in person many times though. LOL He still worked all of West Tennessee pretty regulary up to a few years ago. In my next Memphis thread I will have a picture of somebody else famous along those lines though. You'll like it I'm sure. :D

Nice pics!  Too bad you missed Dead Elvis Week!  lol

Hey, where'd you stay?  Our old friend the Best Western, or did you upgrade to the Sleep Inn?  I've gone to Memphis and stayed at motels on Hwy 51 up towards Millington.  That was interesting.  lol

I've always resented the Morgan-Keegan Tower.  They tore down the old King Cotton Hotel to build it 20 years ago.  :angry:  I had many fond memories of tagging along there in the 60's with my dad to lunch with his business friends.  Good news:  Morgan-Keegan is now the investment banking headquarters of Regions Bank..

Any news on the 28 story Vue apartments on Main?  When I was there, they were still moving dirt back and forth.  Good to see they're actually working on the Lincoln-American Tower--another deal that was "proposed" a year or so ago.

I've still got some from my trip down there in June.  I've posted them about everywhere else in cyberspace, maybe I'll post them here too.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sleepy,

I know what you mean about the King Cotton. For those too young, the emplosion is in the motive "Heathers". When the Morgan-Keegan building first opened, the Griffins from the King Cotton were in the restaurant at the top. does anyone know if there is still a restaurant there and if the Griffins are still in it?

Work on the Lincoln American Building!!!!

Tennessee0029-vi.jpg

Which is this lovely old tower.

Tennessee0026-vi.jpg

The other side of the Lincolm American construction site.

Tennessee0116-vi.jpg

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

http://www.downtownmemphis.com/domain/news...er/June_03.html

Plans for the redevelopment of the Rhodes Jennings and Court Annex buildings are moving forward. Now, the Lincoln American Tower is being added to the project. The new development will be called Court Square Center. According to information provided by developers, CGI & Partners Court Square Center, LLC, "three landmark buildings occupying an entire city block, will be transformed into a complex of striking design, craft detailing and openness, for use as residential, commercial loft and retail space." The Center will also include a three level, secured underground parking garage.

• 5 months later...

I tracked back thru the forum and thought I would just bump this thread.

Wow! Awesome pics RK. :thumbsup: Thanks! Has anyone else noticed how many parks/greenspace downtown Memphis has? The heat, greeness and humidity is only a few months away!

You can see the other parts of his thread:

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=15011

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=15016

http://www.downtownmemphis.com/domain/news...er/June_03.html

Plans for the redevelopment of the Rhodes Jennings and Court Annex buildings are moving forward. Now, the Lincoln American Tower is being added to the project. The new development will be called Court Square Center. According to information provided by developers, CGI & Partners Court Square Center, LLC, "three landmark buildings occupying an entire city block, will be transformed into a complex of striking design, craft detailing and openness, for use as residential, commercial loft and retail space." The Center will also include a three level, secured underground parking garage.

That is one exciting project! I know the finished product is going to be stunning, and a landmark for both Tennessee and Memphis for years to come. They are such wonderful buildings to begin with that the end product will just have to be spectacular!

And, RK thanks for all the photos. They were most excellent, my man!

Archived