Memphis - Nashville Counterparts

cdarr

With all the talk of how Nashville and Memphis are so different (and they are in many ways), I thought it would be fun to try and match up some Nashville suburbs/neighborhoods with their Memphis equivalents. Here are a few that come to mind (with my reasoning)

Brentwood = Germantown (most exclusive suburb)

Franklin = Collierville (just beyond the exclusive suburb, quaint town square)

Millington = Smyrna (old air base turned into municipal airport)

Lavergne = Olive Branch (mecca for distribution centers)

West End = Midtown (medical centers, colleges, neighborhood age & density)

Green Hills = Oak Court/Laurelwood (trendy shopping still in central city)

Belle Meade = Central Gardens (old neighborhood, old money)

Antioch = Hickory Hill (80's white flight suburb now racially diverse)

Centennial Park = Overton Park (popular mid-city park)

Donelson = East Memphis (mature, stable '60s era suburb, many office buildings)

Anybody else have some?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With all the talk of how Nashville and Memphis are so different (and they are in many ways), I thought it would be fun to try and match up some Nashville suburbs/neighborhoods with their Memphis equivalents.  Here are a few that come to mind (with my reasoning)

Brentwood = Germantown (most exclusive suburb)

Franklin = Collierville (just beyond the exclusive suburb, quaint town square)

Millington = Smyrna (old air base turned into municipal airport)

Lavergne = Olive Branch (mecca for distribution centers)

West End = Midtown (medical centers, colleges, neighborhood age & density)

Green Hills = Oak Court/Laurelwood (trendy shopping still in central city)

Belle Meade = Central Gardens (old neighborhood, old money)

Antioch = Hickory Hill (80's white flight suburb now racially diverse)

Centennial Park = Overton Park (popular mid-city park)

Donelson = East Memphis (mature, stable '60s era suburb, many office buildings)

Anybody else have some?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

MS River= Cumberland (haha)

DCarr, I think that you did a good job. I would be interested in seeing what would be a Match to Orange Mound. I would also like to know what would be a match to Cooper-Young. I am thinking that the West End would be the closest to Cooper-Young, but I have no idea about Orange Mound.

Bordeaux isn't as bad of an area as some people in Nashville pretend. Perhaps it gets a bad rep because it's a black neighborhood??? It may be TN's largest predominately African-American middle-class neighborhood outside of the Memphis metro. There are some sketchy poorer parts but some nicer neighborhoods as well. There are some nice $150k and up housing developments going up off of Kings Lane and along with some nicer established communities. It's not too different from parts of Antioch or Madison.

DCarr, I think that you did a good job. I would be interested in seeing what would be a Match to Orange Mound. I would also like to know what would be a match to Cooper-Young. I am thinking that the West End would be the closest to Cooper-Young, but I have no idea about Orange Mound.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I almost took a stab at an Orange Mound comparison, but wasn't sure. I come to Nashville at least once per year but I don't exactly seek out the rougher areas. From what I've seen, West Nashville may be close. Orange Mound, South Memphis, North Memphis, Frayser, Binghampton...I'm afraid Memphis has too many black neighborhoods for Nashville to match each one.

I was in town a two weeks ago and took a drive through East Nashville. It reminds me of Whitehaven: an African-American neighborhood that still has viable commercial structures and some well-kept homes...not just slums.

As far as Cooper-Young is concerned, I had considered that neighborhood to be a part of Midtown. I'm not familiar with a Nashville equivalent. It would have to be something centered on a quirky commercial district that not on a main thoroughfare.

Bordeaux isn't as bad of an area as some people in Nashville pretend. Perhaps it gets a bad rep because it's a black neighborhood??? It may be TN's largest predominately African-American middle-class neighborhood outside of the Memphis metro. There are some sketchy poorer parts but some nicer neighborhoods as well. There are some nice $150k and up housing developments going up off of Kings Lane and along with some nicer established communities. It's not too different from parts of Antioch or Madison.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I like Bordeaux. Though the growth is a lot slower than most parts of Nashville, and the crime may be a bit higher, it's still a cool neighborhood.There isn't much traffic to deal with, except for when Clarksville Pike goes from 6 lanes to 2. And there's also a nice skyline view from there, especially when you're driving on Trinity/Buena Vista or whatever its called there.

I almost took a stab at an Orange Mound comparison, but wasn't sure.  I come to Nashville at least once per year but I don't exactly seek out the rougher areas.  From what I've seen, West Nashville may be close.  Orange Mound, South Memphis, North Memphis, Frayser, Binghampton...I'm afraid Memphis has too many black neighborhoods for Nashville to match each one.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

West Nashville?? What part? Ive lived in West Nashville my whole life and its a walk in the park compared to Orange Mound. I now live in the charlotte park area which isint bad at all but I grew up in the Nations which is used to be a real rough area, but it has came a long way. The 40 ave area used to be one of the worst in Nashville until they razed the Preston Taylor homes, now its not so bad. North Nashville has to be the roughest area in Nashville. I have friends that live there and they tell me a lot of the people that live there wont even come out after dark. And god forbid dark catches a white person out in that area. Its many areas over off buchannon where if you take a wrong turn you might not make it out. As for West Nashville its a decent place to live for the most part. When it comes to rough neighborhoods it doesnt hold a candle to North or the JC Napier/University court areas.

I didn't mean to start up something big with my question about Orange Mound. I just didn't know enough about Nashville to have any association. I also have never heard of Binghampton, in Memphis. Funny thing for me is that I think of East Nashville as the area around Pearcy Priest Lake. I know that names do not represent what is accurate today, but what was what it was called historically.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

^ Memphis has class B airspace like LaGuardia, JFK, LAX, Atlanta Hartsfield while Nashville has class C like Sacramento and Providence.

Really? That's interesting to know...I wonder why Nashville wouldn't have a higher class considering that it was once an American Airlines hub.

^ Memphis has class B airspace like LaGuardia, JFK, LAX, Atlanta Hartsfield while Nashville has class C like Sacramento and Providence.

What constitutes class A airspace? Military airfields, DC, etc.?

Archived