West Greenville Village

gs3

Here are some shots of the West Pendleton Street area. This little area is incredible....it's still a tightly compact little "mini-downtown". Would love to see the city really focus on this area. To be in a really rough area, most of the buildings are still in pretty good shape. This area seems it could make a come back very easily. I know several artist studios have started to open (ie: Art Bomb). With a little tender loving care..........

CIMG2699.jpg

CIMG2703.jpg

CIMG2709.jpg

CIMG2698.jpg

CIMG2702.jpg

CIMG2708.jpg

CIMG2700.jpg

CIMG2706.jpg

CIMG2710.jpg

CIMG2711.jpg

CIMG2707.jpg

CIMG2701.jpg

I agree this area should be focused on a little more.This is a historic part of Greenville and I think it should be Historicly renovated.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Being newer to Greenville, I really don't know the West Pendleton areas history. Was this the downtown for a mill village? Seems a little larger than most mill village areas.

The West Pendleton Street area is known as West Greenville, and yes you are correct "Shoeless" Joe Jackson did grow up nearby by in the Brandon Mill village. Basically the area is the epicenter of about 3 old mill villages; Brandon Mill, Judson, and Monaghan if I'm not mistaken. Also Parker so 4 mill villages. Thats about all I know. Theres a sign on West Pendleton guiding you to "Shoeless" Joe Jackson memorial baseball field, which I believe is where the mill from which the Brandon Mill village namesake is taken. If I'm wrong I'm sure someone will correct me. :P

thats about like 26 being an east-west interstate and 85 being north-south, it should be the other way around because of obvious reasons. some things there are just no answers for. i think i might have an idea though. cities generally like to designate regions using only one direction, ie eastside, west end, west greenville, ect. so they take the one that makes the least since and take it off. if it where named for its true location it would be the southwest end or south west greenville they might have took the south off because it was more west than south and it just made more sense.

Edited by gvillenative

I was thinking that the South End would make better sense, which is why I asked.

The interstates, however, are explainable. Diagonal interstates going from SE to NW are always labeled with EW markers, etc. Diagonal interstates from SW to NE are always labeled with NS markers.

The West Pendleton Street area is known as West Greenville, and yes you are correct "Shoeless" Joe Jackson did grow up nearby by in the Brandon Mill village. Basically the area is the epicenter of about 3 old mill villages; Brandon Mill, Judson, and Monaghan if I'm not mistaken. Also Parker so 4 mill villages. Thats about all I know. Theres a sign on West Pendleton guiding you to "Shoeless" Joe Jackson memorial baseball field, which I believe is where the mill from which the Brandon Mill village namesake is taken. If I'm wrong I'm sure someone will correct me.  :P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for the history gvillenative! I really hope this area will come back. It has soooo much potential!

West Greenville, is made up of Monaghan, Parker, Woodside, and the Brandon Neighborhoods.

West Pendlton is the Brandon Neighborhood. Mike Watts and the owner of the Brandon Mill own many of those buildings and envision the area being Greenville's center for the Arts.

I see it myself as the next big hotspot and should help spur redevelopment to the rest of West Greenville.

BTW, the Greenville Journal recently wrote an articel on what is going on there.

By the way here is a photo of Brandon Mill, currently Golf products are made here, would be great for Condos.

IMG_4593.jpg

IMG_4597.jpg

Here is the Shoeless Joe Jackson Baseball Park, see mill in the back ground?

IMG_4591.jpg

Here is a photo of progress on the Apartment conversion at Monghahon Mill (Lofts of Greenville). Should help spur redevelopment to another one of the West Greenville neighborhoods.

IMG_4569.jpg

IMG_4575.jpg

Thanks for those shots Brad.  :thumbsup:

I'm not at all familiar with this area.  What are the street names near the mill and the ball field?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not sure about Brandon Mill and the Ball Field, don't know the street names but they can be seen from Pendlton Street, just look West and you should see them.

As for Monaghan Mill it is on Smyth St. which becomes Woodside Ave. it also passes Woodside Mill and Parker High and ends and Pendleton St.

Not sure about Brandon Mill and the Ball Field, don't know the street names but they can be seen from Pendlton Street, just look West and you should see them.

As for Monaghan Mill it is on Smyth St.  which becomes Woodside Ave. it also passes Woodside Mill and Parker High and ends and Pendleton St.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks Brad.

I'm surprised no one posted about the great article in yesterday's (Sunday) Greenville News Arts & Travel section. It gives a great description of the history of West Greenville/Brandon and has numerous quotes from artists in the colony, known among their circle as the "SoHo" of Greenville. VERY GOOD READING! :)

If you didn't pick up a copy, you should still be able to buy one at Books-a-Million.

I'm surprised no one posted about the great article in yesterday's (Sunday) Greenville News Arts & Travel section.  It gives a great description of the history of West Greenville/Brandon and has numerous quotes from artists in the colony, known among their circle as the "SoHo" of Greenville.  VERY GOOD READING! :)

If you didn't pick up a copy, you should still be able to buy one at Books-a-Million.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just read this article this morning. Excellent! Nice to see attention being brought to this area of town! :)

• 1 month later...

Just read this article this morning. Excellent! Nice to see attention being brought to this area of town! :)

My wife and I are from Greenville and have been living in New York City for a few years. We keep up with what's going on back home and actually read the article you mentioned. We're artists and have been in school up here for a few years. A while back we noticed what was going on in West Greenville with places such as ArtBomb, bringing new life to the community. We have thought about coming back home and buying a building in West Greenville to set up a gallery and studio space. The momentum is picking up. It's only a matter of time before the old area is booming.

Edited by Anasazi

Welcome to you and your wife, Anasazi!

Thank you for your thoughts on the West Pendleton artist colony. Please keep us informed about your plans to be part of the growing arts community here in Greenville. :D We love to hear what people are saying about this area who've not been here in recent years. It is incredible the amount of interest and change taking place all over dowtown. :thumbsup:

• 1 year later...

We are looking at taking a risk on a house in this area and I noticed we don't have a dedicated thread for actual West Greenville and whether the redevelopment is going to happen. So everyone what do you think, will it or won't it.

When I think of West Greenville, not to be confused with the West End, I think of the area down Washington Street on the other side of the train tracks. Near the old Fine Arts Center, Parker High School, etc. What exactly defines the West Greenville area in discussion? Anyone have a visual?

I'm thinking of the area where you go down pendelton and cross 123. Then there is the little town with the shopping center and rows of shops. The city web site has a master plan for the area, but aside from a police sub-station and a few art galleries it seems it has yet to take off. If you look at the crime map there has been almost no criminal activity this year which speaks to the affectiveness of the police outpost. I'm courious if the city still sees this as a priority or not. Yes, it does have the train tracks going through it. I wonder if they are the tracks that will be used for the rails to trails. If so this little community could become one of the hot areas in Greenville. Right now you can still get a 1500-2000 square foot home for around 50,000-75,000 dollars but you've gotta have the guts to wait for it to turn around. I can really see this place with cute shops and trolly service to main st.

We are looking at taking a risk on a house in this area and I noticed we don't have a dedicated thread for actual West Greenville and whether the redevelopment is going to happen. So everyone what do you think, will it or won't it.

'West Greenville' can be defined pretty broadly geographically, can you narrow it down some more. The Pendleton St corridor, or more toward Pete Hollis?

I have bought houses four times in four different cities (incl. Gville) that would be considered 'taking a risk'. The first one was not a good experience, but the other three proved to be good decisions and good investments. If you want to PM me with the exact project or location you are considering, I would be happy to give you my honest assessment. All free of charge to a fellow techie, BTW! :P

To speak in more general terms, Greenville's city government has a good track record in reviving neighborhoods, and that is very important, IMO. I would find out more about any neighborhoodd association that serves the area. If problems (vagrancy, drup dealing, etc.) arise, you're going to need strength of numbers to get a prompt and satisfactory response. Talk to as many neighbors as possible. Try to find out as much as you can about the area. Knowledge is your best asset to prevent from making a regretable decision.

I would visit the street/neighborhood at all hours of the day, for several different days (ie week days, weekends). Is it quiet, is there loitering, etc. Have a good background in what the plans are for the future in the immediate and not as immediate area surrounding your subject.