West Greenville Village

gs3

4 minutes ago, btoy said:

Why does that matter?

He can speak for himself, but as that area continues to turn over and be redeveloped, it would be nice to have more of it in the City Limits for planning purposes, IMO. Not to mention that it will continue to densify and should be a positive gain (or at the very least neutral) for tax revenue VS. services provided. There would be no trash service provided to the apartments, so you could gain the tax base and have a contiguous connection to more adjacent properties.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, GvilleSC said:

He can speak for himself, but as that area continues to turn over and be redeveloped, it would be nice to have more of it in the City Limits for planning purposes, IMO. Not to mention that it will continue to densify and should be a positive gain (or at the very least neutral) for tax revenue VS. services provided. There would be no trash service provided to the apartments, so you could gain the tax base and have a contiguous connection to more adjacent properties.

Plus the added Police and Fire protection will help development under the City, etc. 

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This part of town finally feels like it is hitting a tipping point.  I walked down there this past Sunday morning to get some coffee (and really amazing donuts) and there was a lot of foot traffic, way more than I have seen in the past. With the Anchorage and GB&D open for brunch and the Village Grind open for coffee (and those great donuts) the area was really bustling.  I have noticed that some of the rentals on Perry at that end of town are starting to look better kept as well.  With the burrito place, the redesign of MACs, the plaza redevelopment, a yoga studio, and I think I heard a brick and mortar coastal crust on the way things are going to look a lot different there really soon and businesses will be able to support each other with customers better.  Oh and the Growler Haus too. I am  still holding out for vintage clothing, vinyl records and comic books and more cool accessible (stuff for under $200) art shops as well. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gvegascple said:

This part of town finally feels like it is hitting a tipping point.  I walked down there this past Sunday morning to get some coffee (and really amazing donuts) and there was a lot of foot traffic, way more than I have seen in the past. With the Anchorage and GB&D open for brunch and the Village Grind open for coffee (and those great donuts) the area was really bustling.  I have noticed that some of the rentals on Perry at that end of town are starting to look better kept as well.  With the burrito place, the redesign of MACs, the plaza redevelopment, a yoga studio, and I think I heard a brick and mortar coastal crust on the way things are going to look a lot different there really soon and businesses will be able to support each other with customers better.  Oh and the Growler Haus too. I am  still holding out for vintage clothing, vinyl records and comic books and more cool accessible (stuff for under $200) art shops as well. 

I went to the Shoeless Jam on Saturday and it was bumping. They just need to work on some more infrastructure to make it feel a little better to walk around (trees, more sidewalks, benches and art). We went to the Growler Haus and it's nice honestly. Like GB&D and Village Grind too. 

• 1 month later...
On 10/2/2017 at 10:02 PM, gman430 said:

this is going to look great! Any idea of timeline?  Also I think the depiction is of pavement milling but it makes the roadway look as though it was made of brick, that would be a nice addition (hint hint).

45 minutes ago, gvegascple said:

this is going to look great! Any idea of timeline?  Also I think the depiction is of pavement milling but it makes the roadway look as though it was made of brick, that would be a nice addition (hint hint).

I think the City has a very fine line to walk here. The Village is great because it's organic, a bit raw, and supports creativity. Infrastructure improvements reward/support existing revitalization, and will also sustain future private investment. This is great AND necessary. 

However, theoretically speaking: the tricky part is going to be balancing the artistic vibe that makes the area vibrant and authentic, and not scrubbing away the character, i.e. Charlotte. How do we balance the past (historic poor, hard working mill community) with eccentric artist enclave AND success? We don't want dirt road accuracy I don't think, but brick paving would never have historically been used in the area-- it's rich, right?

I think there's a way to keep this in check, in much the same way that the current uses are not original, but are authentic: Artists are not original occupiers of these buildings or the overall community, BUT there is something true in their hardwork and production (that's mill life, right?) that is authentic to the Village. 

Ideally there's a balance that showcases the past life with the present. I think this is an interesting discussion to have. What are y'all's thoughts?

Those are really good points, a brick roadway is more on the fancy side.  I think it would slow traffic and provide a more pedestrian friendly feel which would be cool and open market like and could also be seen as looking more generic and outdoor mall (shops at Greenridge) like too.  The brick discussion is probably moot since I dont think its on the table but if it was I bet there could be a way to implement it that looked more modest, older, vintage, random/artistic and less generic.  As far as not losing the vibe of the area I totally agree, we dont want to lose the flavor/vibe of that area.  

Edited by gvegascple

10 hours ago, gvegascple said:

Bids are open until October 26th. 

36 minutes ago, Jet-set said:

Article was taken down..

Wasn’t too much. 556 Perry Ave. is being redeveloped by the same people who did the old Augusta Bakery building (where Upstate Craft Brewery is located). The main building will be offices and the smaller building by the road with be a community amenity chosen by the community. Glad to see the West Village grow. 

• 2 weeks later...

Thrillist.com, a web site that covers food, drink, travel and entertainment, says that the Village of West Greenville is set to become Greenville’s next big destination - one of 12 neighborhoods across the U.S. that the site says are on the verge of taking off and becoming "in" spots.

http://www.wyff4.com/article/thrillist-greenville-has-one-of-12-us-neighborhoods-that-will-get-crazy-popular/13092646

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...