West Greenville Village

gs3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Noticed the other day that some work is being done to the sidewalk in front of 1279 Pendleton, and that curb extension are getting placed on the north side of Pendleton between the new plaza and Irvine. It sure made the street feel really narrow but I guess that was the point.

Edited by Edgar

On 2/20/2018 at 9:20 AM, Danmire said:

This is going to have a huge effect on the surrounding neighborhood.  Excited to see this development start.  Construction to start early summer with apartments ready by the end of 2019.

https://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/news/2018/02/17/woodside-mill-become-apartments/338786002/ 

I have ridden my bike through this neighborhood numerous times, as it has some nice curves and hills.  I hope it will bring some permanent jobs to those folks. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 3/14/2018 at 12:10 PM, SVL said:

https://upstatebusinessjournal.com/neo-burrito-to-open-march-19/

Neo Burrito in the Village of West Greenville at 1268 Pendleton St. just received its certificate of occupancy and will hold a soft opening Monday, March 19, 14 months after the lease was signed.

Had a chorizo breakfast burrito this week after swinging by Village Grind to grab a morning cup of coffee. Highly recommend!

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, vicupstate said:

The rezoning application for the Burger King on Pendleton St (across from Sphinx) has been resubmitted. There will be a community meeting on this next Tuesday, May 8, at 6:30 pm at the West Greenville Community Center, 8 Rochester ST.  

I thought it was supposed to be a McDonalds’s????

4 hours ago, vicupstate said:

It is Burger King. Neighborhood is opposed in varying degrees. Planning Commission is 5/17.

Sent from my LGLS676 using Tapatalk

Yuck: http://www.foxcarolina.com/story/38145298/plan-to-build-burger-king-in-the-west-end-brings-concerns-to-the-community Looks like every other Burger King out there. :sick:

The design of the building and the site layout are not  set in stone according to the developer. They  are open to any changes that would improve  acceptability.  Planning Commission does not have purview  over design at all. 

This is allowed under C-3 as is, but if the second parcel is not rezoned it could conceivably be approve as an EXCEPTION under the current zoning of RDV.  The city is asking for the rezoning  as it is atypical to have a site be two different zoning types.  The RDV parcel had been C-3 prior to 2010. 

I would like to stop this but there isn't a ton of leverage to do so. It would be useful IMO to  use what leverage there is to get a better design and site plan. If anyone 'in the business'  would  have the means to submit examples of something better, please PM me.  

There is an effort now underway to rezone all the Pendleton St from S. Main to Academy. That needs to happen sooner rather than later or all four corners of this intersection will be  something similar to this.    

• Like 2

Not a fan of this, I thought that C3 is primarily to serve non local pass through automobile traffic ( or heavy commercial) where as C2 is for mixed use.  This clearly would be mixed use in my opinion.  Its extremely close to residential and I have yet to see how they plan to address that other than typical developer BS to get it approved.  ANY business will provide jobs for the community, not just fast food.     I also find the notion that the citizens and future citizens of West Greenville being a proper fit only for fast food work to be terribly racist and short sighted. The zoning in this area needs to be carefully considered as it impacts how West Greenville will grow.  I hope that we are not  planning on treating it like a mere thoroughfare with no consideration to the community and what is happening down in the Village.  There is real local growth happening there that blends much better with the future of Greenville.  This is not a fit.  Also we must consider what more C3 opens the door to in the future.  Sure its BK first, and it closes at ten, then it is open til midnight, then 24 hour, then maybe it goes out of business and maybe something much much worse goes in.    I cant imagine there are enough positives to outweigh the negatives to Greenville other than short sighted profits for developers.

Edited by gvegascple

https://upstatebusinessjournal.com/new-village-of-west-greenville-retail-locations-set-to-open-in-june/

The recent Village of West Greenville revitalization to this point has hinged largely on artists studios and some standout restaurants, with a few retail spots in the mix.

That’s about to shift as nearly a dozen more retail tenants have signed leases along Pendleton Street.

• Like 1

This area as it is developing now has a very local non corporate flavor with a mix of artists and local shops and places to eat.   It has always felt like it was going to be this way to me and a perfect fit that has been a long time coming.  Another developing gem to enhance how we are growing.   City of Greenville, please dont screw this up (re: Burger King, etc).  I also hope that rents remain such that local business can thrive here and not just ones that depend on high margin items like alcohol or that only national chains can afford.   Lets keep this area weird, cool, unique... ( our "little" -Athens, Asheville, Austin, etc).  I would love to see cool more  culturally diverse businesses (like a soul-food version of what Greenvile's Soby's has done for nouveau southern cuisine but reasonably priced) and others that reflect Greenville's past, present, and future diversity.  It would be really cool to see businesses reflecting the black and immigrant workers that helped build our town during the textile days as well as those that are helping grow our city today and into the future.  I wish this part of town was bigger!

Edited by gvegascple
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...