West Greenville Village

gs3

I think at one time West Greenville was even considered a seperate town during the hey day of the Mill Villages. West Greenville officially is close to the old Woodside Mill between downtown and White Horse Road along Pendleton Street going towards Easley the "back way".

The "West side" can include everything from the western part of downtown Greenville towards Berea and Travelers Rest to the North and I-85 to the South.

The West-end" is pretty much the newly revitalized area starting at the Peace Center to the West End Field along Pendleton and Anderson Roads.

I think when you say West Greenville I think of the Brandon Mill area, what was once West Greenville Township. There are many areas connected to this such as City View, Parker, Woodside and Monaghan but I do not see them as West Greenville becuase they are outside the City Limits. While "West Greenville" is inside the city.

I suppose whether you take a chance or not depends on how much potential you see in the area. You definitely can get a lot more for your dollar and its pretty close to the downtown. I'm hoping that the Monaghan Mill Lofts is really going to benefit the area of West Greenville I live in. The Rails to Trails go right by that mill. I don't know if the railroad track you mentioned that goes over Woodside ave is used. I can't say I've ever seen a train going over those tracks. All the Art Galleries have definietly helped start to revitalize the pendleton st./woodside ave area of West Greenville. I think it helps that it is within the City limits and that they are funnelling some money into the area.

I'm hoping that the Monaghan Mill Lofts is really going to benefit the area of West Greenville I live in. The Rails to Trails go right by that mill.

I sometimes drive by the Old Monagan Mill on the way to my office downtown. The are going to have to do some serious revitalization work in that area to make people feel comfortable walking there both in terms of the surround area as well as the trail itself. Some of the old rail went over very old wooden bridges that are no longer there. The old wooden tressles may have been fine for a train but walkers and a tram may need something wider and more substancial. I'd like to see the old store area near the entrance of the Monaghan Mill restore to village. I think they have some kind of mexican resteraunt there now but it looks very "mom and pop" to say the least.

I'm speaking for my parents and their generation when I say this but one of the worst things to happen to that area was when the old Parker High School was "modernized". During it's day it was the core of that local community between Woodside and Monaghan.

This is probably one of the better photos of how the school used to look;

http://parkerhigh.com/

It would totally recharge Greenville if that area was revitalized like the westend. in recent years this area has been know to be a hot spot of drug pushing and prostitution. I drove by Woodside the other day and I think it's being used for something if nothing else than warehouse space.

I know in the north they have brought different kinds of business like software companies, etc. into old Mills. The trick in these areas is they are surrounded by sub standard housing that became the norm after the mills closed or significantly reduced their business. We can learn from the past;

A one industry supported community is great during good times but very very bad when the business has to close. Hopefully if some business and good housing returns to these areas they will diversify the economy more.

Thanks for all the info guys! I really can imagine a different place down there in a few more years. I guess what I'm worried about is that if the economy takes a down turn redevelopment projects like this one will be the first to go. It seems like Greenville has been immune to the slow down so far, but we'll see. I see this area as being from white horse to 123 to 183 as being the boundaries. Pendelton is definitely the core of the place. Then there is Louis that goes out by the railroad tracks and turns into Smythe by where it hits 183 and those new loft/mill apartments are. If this neighborhood takes off it will be one of the last to do so. The reason I like it is as opposed to something like a Stone ave that will turn into a "new Augusta", the little strip of shops has a much more intimate, pedestrian feel. Anyway, I would love to get the chance to be a part of making a place like this a better place to live and if it turns into a good investment thats even better. The crime map for the county says that there have been no crimes in this part of town so far this year (not counting that prostitution thing last week) but I find that a little hard to believe. It seems as though the new police sub-station is really doing its job. I've never seen so many cops in my life, they are all over now.

Thanks for all the info guys! I really can imagine a different place down there in a few more years. I guess what I'm worried about is that if the economy takes a down turn redevelopment projects like this one will be the first to go. It seems like Greenville has been immune to the slow down so far, but we'll see. I see this area as being from white horse to 123 to 183 as being the boundaries.

If I was going to live in any of the older Mill villages Dunean would probably be my first choice. I'm not sure about the construction dates but it may have been one of the most recent one built (at least in some areas of it). The yards are a bit bigger, A lot of the homes are still in pretty good condition and quite a few of them have been remodeled. It even had a really nice central town area that could be expanded a bit with some new shops, etc. It's certainlu on of the most pleasant and walkable Mill Villages around. I'm pretty familiar with that area. I grew up about a mile and half south of Dunean and my mother and grandparents lived their during the 40's, 50's and early 60's before they moved to bigger homes outside of it.

The second Mill village I would live in would be the part of Sans Souci near the U.S. Finishing Plant we were talking about earlier.

Greenville's western districts (Dunean, Parker, West Greenville) are slowly seeing redevelopment. Sketchy activities exist to a minimum, but are fading with better community protection.

The Parker district is ready to benefit from the L. Pete Hollis Highway and Lofts of Greenville. There's speculation of major retail in the area, notably a supermarket. This would fill the void left by Bi-Lo on Old Bumcombe Road years ago. Shifting focus to revitalize the Smythe Street/Woodside Avenue corridor and saving former Parker High School for future uses will help add to the rebirth of the area.

Woodside Avenue flows into West Greenville, and extends the need to connect with downtown by extending the West End. Art galleries, medical offices (for Bon Secours St. Francis--Downtown nearby), and additional boutiques will add tenant stablility to the area. Pendleton Street and Easley Bridge Road would be the targeted routes to build around.

Dunean will benefit from the South Church Street/Mills Avenue revitalization. Dunean Mill would be an excellent site to convert into "loft" condominiums.

Dunean will benefit from the South Church Street/Mills Avenue revitalization. Dunean Mill would be an excellent site to convert into "loft" condominiums.

I'm not sure about that. The Dunean community and Mill itself were very transitional. Dunean itself almost has a suburban feels as opposed to the older Mill Villages. It almost looks like some neighborhoods you see portrayed in movies. A lot of old mature tree there too. The Dunean Mill is not like the ones in the other mill villages. It's not an "old brick" structure with window. It may even be in business to a small degree. If the mill was closed it would be better used as Cherrydale mall like development. The Mill offices however are very nice if I recall correctly and would make for some very nice townhomes.

I do believe the Dunean mill is still open, making seat belt fabric, among other car fabrics.

Now the neighborhood itself is a place I expect to see rise in value, along some older homes. Or it go entirely ethnic. hard to say at this point.

Thanks for all the info guys! I really can imagine a different place down there in a few more years. I guess what I'm worried about is that if the economy takes a down turn redevelopment projects like this one will be the first to go. It seems like Greenville has been immune to the slow down so far, but we'll see. I see this area as being from white horse to 123 to 183 as being the boundaries. Pendelton is definitely the core of the place. Then there is Louis that goes out by the railroad tracks and turns into Smythe by where it hits 183 and those new loft/mill apartments are. If this neighborhood takes off it will be one of the last to do so. The reason I like it is as opposed to something like a Stone ave that will turn into a "new Augusta", the little strip of shops has a much more intimate, pedestrian feel. Anyway, I would love to get the chance to be a part of making a place like this a better place to live and if it turns into a good investment thats even better. The crime map for the county says that there have been no crimes in this part of town so far this year (not counting that prostitution thing last week) but I find that a little hard to believe. It seems as though the new police sub-station is really doing its job. I've never seen so many cops in my life, they are all over now.

I think The Monaghan/ Lofts of Greenville/HWY 183 area is going to be the first area to turn residentially. There are more larger chunks of land for redevelopment in that area. For example, keep and eye on the old elementary school site on HWY 183.

I think The Monaghan/ Lofts of Greenville/HWY 183 area is going to be the first area to turn residentially. There are more larger chunks of land for redevelopment in that area. For example, keep and eye on the old elementary school site on HWY 183.

Are you talking about the old Berea Elementary School? That's a ways away from the other areas we are talking about (It's actually not far from where I live) I'd like to see that old strip mall across the street from there gets some major attention. I actually wouldn't mind if they tore down that strip mall and made a real center of Berea. If it was up to me I would tear down the old Winn-Dixie there too.

Are you talking about the old Berea Elementary School? That's a ways away from the other areas we are talking about (It's actually not far from where I live) I'd like to see that old strip mall across the street from there gets some major attention. I actually wouldn't mind if they tore down that strip mall and made a real center of Berea. If it was up to me I would tear down the old Winn-Dixie there too.

No, the former Cone Elementary

If I was going to live in any of the older Mill villages Dunean would probably be my first choice. I'm not sure about the construction dates but it may have been one of the most recent one built (at least in some areas of it). The yards are a bit bigger, A lot of the homes are still in pretty good condition and quite a few of them have been remodeled. It even had a really nice central town area that could be expanded a bit with some new shops, etc. It's certainlu on of the most pleasant and walkable Mill Villages around. I'm pretty familiar with that area. I grew up about a mile and half south of Dunean and my mother and grandparents lived their during the 40's, 50's and early 60's before they moved to bigger homes outside of it.

The second Mill village I would live in would be the part of Sans Souci near the U.S. Finishing Plant we were talking about earlier.

I live in san souci now and love it, but we might need to move and I would like to be closer to the city. For anyone thats looking San Souci is a great place for starter homes close to good shopping.

• 8 months later...

I only recently rode through West Greenville's little urban center for the first time after reading the article about the artist community developing that was featured in G Magazine. It has a lot of potential and a good bit of character. The amount of money that appears to have gone into several of the buildings, and investments by the City of Greenville were impressive to me. The surrounding area needs a lot of work, for sure. The number of housing projects over there make it a little shady.

I only recently rode through West Greenville's little urban center for the first time after reading the article about the artist community developing that was featured in G Magazine. It has a lot of potential and a good bit of character. The amount of money that appears to have gone into several of the buildings, and investments by the City of Greenville were impressive to me. The surrounding area needs a lot of work, for sure. The number of housing projects over there make it a little shady.

Is this the larger-than-you-would-expect urban area a few miles down Pendleton Street from its intersection with Academy Street/Easley Bridge Road? If so, I agree that it has a lot of potential. :thumbsup:

I also agree that the surrounding area needs a lot of work. Yikes. :shok:

Is this the larger-than-you-would-expect urban area a few miles down Pendleton Street from its intersection with Academy Street/Easley Bridge Road? If so, I agree that it has a lot of potential. :thumbsup:

I also agree that the surrounding area needs a lot of work. Yikes. :shok:

That's the one.

This is where Shoeless Joe Jackson owned his store after his baseball days were over. :)

The listing from the city directory for 1948 shows Jackson's store at 15 E. Pendleton (West Greenville.) He probably did OK, I don't see any other liquor stores nearby on Pendleton St. A little surprising considering how many liquor stores there were up the road in DT. Greenville was a well-watered town.

When I was little we used to go there for haircuts because my father knew the barber. I thought it was odd that Greenville had three downtown districts - one centered around Washington and Main where the department stores where, another around the Main, Pendleton, Augusta intersection, and the one in West Greenville.

Edited by B&R

Thanks for the pics, gsupstate! I somehow missed those murals and signs I believe. Are they along Pendleton Street?

They are along one wall of a long building, facing a 60's shopping center parking lot, the storefront faces Pendleton and the heart of the village area. I'm assuming this was his store. :dontknow: I never knew he had a store until you posted it. Thanks! :good:

This village area has TONS of potential to be another West End type area. Anyone know anything about the development pictured in the photo below? The sign is in a window of any empty store in the village area facing Pendleton. Looks pretty sweet. Sadly, I can't get the website to work. :dontknow:

IMG_0079.jpg

They are along one wall of a long building, facing a 60's shopping center parking lot, the storefront faces Pendleton and the heart of the village area. I'm assuming this was his store. :dontknow: I never knew he had a store until you posted it. Thanks! :good:

This village area has TONS of potential to be another West End type area. Anyone know anything about the development pictured in the photo below? The sign is in a window of any empty store in the village area facing Pendleton. Looks pretty sweet. Sadly, I can't get the website to work. :dontknow:

I agree about the potential here. This development looks really cool! Wish we could find out more.

I couldn't get the site to work either. A Google search turned up nothing. :dontknow:

Riding by housing projects to reach West Greenville's "village" (I like that term for it, gsupstate), I wasn't expecting much. So, naturally when I saw the landscaping, traffic lights on arms instead of wires, and this building's look, I was BLOWN AWAY! I wish I had gotten a picture of it from the other side.

2526084226_cb7519a230.jpg

It would be awesome to see that part of town get a facelift (a few of the shops have...and there are a few art studios/galleries there now), but the area around there has lots of problems. 7th Street, which is behind Parker High, is one of the worst streets in all of G'ville, in my opinion of course. Don't drive down it...I made that mistake once.