West Greenville Village

gs3

• 1 year later...

Did we ever discuss this? http://www.prlog.org...r-west-end.html

Pendleton Street Arts District renamed itself the "Far West End".

http://pendletonstre...tsdistrict.com/

I really dislike that name. They could have just shortened it to Pendleton Arts District. It's shorter and still retains some of its identity. I don't like this "piggy backing" of the West End name. Each district should have a distinctive and recognizable name in my opinion.

Libby McMillan, Association member and co-chair of the re-branding committee adds, “the name works well because anyone who knows where the West End is, has an idea where the Far West End is.”

Or...... they could keep the Pendleton Street name because it is easy to find on a map and actually tells its geographic region.

That is one the dumbest names ever. Far West End? That does not tell me anything. It's in West Greenville. Why not name it West Greenville Arts District and do a better job of getting the word out about what is happening in that area? Are they ashamed of the location?

That is one the dumbest names ever. Far West End? That does not tell me anything. It's in West Greenville. Why not name it West Greenville Arts District and do a better job of getting the word out about what is happening in that area? Are they ashamed of the location?

I don't think they're ashamed of their location. It was previously called the Pendleton Street Arts District.

I agree that it's a terrible renaming and re-branding effort. Not only is the name ridiculous but the logo is awful for a part of town claiming to be an arts district. I've always thought this area had a lot of potential, but I was really disappointed when I saw this come out a few months ago.

And in my opinion, it's worth getting 'worked up over' because there are a lot of great artists who've invested their lives and careers and advertising dollars promoting the West Greenville Arts District. I'd like to see that area continue to fill in and improve and I think this rebrand is a huge step backwards for them.

I really hope it doesn't stick.

LMAO! FAR West End? Seriously. How absolutely, perfectly hillbilly sounding.

Editing here......the more I think about that name, the less funny the name sounds and the more horrific it sounds. FAR is rarely, if ever, a good word to use in a name.

Is there a gas station nearby? No, ain't one till ya dun on the FAR side the mount-in. Way FAR....a good ways down the road.....clean all the way to that big Walmart. FAR.

Edited by gsupstate

Is that 'bama talk? It is a very silly name IMO, but I wouldn't go so FAR out as to say it sounds "hillbilly." The artists in the West Greenville arts district/village are very skillful and accomplished. I would love to see the village they "inhabit" realize its full potential as a thriving destination.

• Like 1

I like all the fun we're having with this topic. It's nice to be able to laugh about such things. However, would anyone be willing to generate some constructive criticism, and maybe come up with some legitimate options for a better name?

I kind of like the tag line they have: Greenville's creative edge.

West Greenville or West Greenville Village works for me. That is what it historically was called (as an independent town decades ago), and it is what many still call it.

It isn't contrieved, so it can't be panned for that. I like the tag line too. (Greenville's Creative Edge)

I just found this and like it a lot.

http://www.greenvillecvb.com/visit/event-info.aspx?coe_id=15455&date_id=594377

Edited by vicupstate

Just thinking.....fun names for all areas of the city in honor of Far West End:

Outermostest Golden Strip

Way North Main

East of Eastside

All the way down Augusta

Half the length Haywood

Distant Woodruff

Oh lord, here you go again. Anyways . . . I like using a historical name and juxtaposing it with their new tagline. It captures what the Art District is all about.

If they want something catchy and shorter, my suggestions are:

The Village

Or

Village Art District

But I also don't see anything wrong with

West Greenville

West Greenville Art District

Or

Pendleton Street Art District

There's definitely something to be said for cohesive branding and a unified name. I'm sure the consistency issue is what they were trying to remedy. But everyone (at least in the area itself) has to be on board with a name for that to work. And I know that's not the case.

A few years ago there was some nice branding work done for their annual festival (which may or may not still exist?), but that was another effort in a long line of attempts to brand this area.

If they want something catchy and shorter, my suggestions are:

The Village

Or

Village Art District

But I also don't see anything wrong with

West Greenville

West Greenville Art District

Or

Pendleton Street Art District

There's definitely something to be said for cohesive branding and a unified name. I'm sure the consistency issue is what they were trying to remedy. But everyone (at least in the area itself) has to be on board with a name for that to work. And I know that's not the case.

A few years ago there was some nice branding work done for their annual festival (which may or may not still exist?), but that was another effort in a long line of attempts to brand this area.

I really like The Village! It could be The Village Arts District and people would call it the village for short.

I agree that it should be kept short and sweet. I think something a little bit more descriptive would help fight off some generic-ness. "West Village"/West Village Arts District would speak to the history of the area and be a little more specific, but still short.

Edited by GvilleSC

The Hawthorne District in Portland.....named because the main street is Hawthorne.

The 2nd Street District in Austin.....named because the main street is 2nd Street.

The Bishop Arts District in Dallas......named because the main street is Bishop.

The Fremont District in Seattle......named because the main street is Fremont.

What is wrong with simply keeping it Pendleton Street Arts District?

Where did all these CONTRIVED ideas come from that seem to be taking root in Greenville lately? What made Greenville great was the fact that is wasn't contrived. Did a bunch of suburbanites move into the city recently? Is that what is driving this new small town contrived attitude?

Sorry, but the new name and the logo and, OMG....that horrible tag line, do nothing for the coolness of the area. Those factors actually take away from the coolness. They really feel the need to proclaim the area is "Greenville's Creative Edge"?

Let Pendleton Street grow and morph organically......cool. As is, seems some are simply commercializing the area.....not cool.

• Like 1

The Hawthorne District in Portland.....named because the main street is Hawthorne.

The 2nd Street District in Austin.....named because the main street is 2nd Street.

The Bishop Arts District in Dallas......named because the main street is Bishop.

The Fremont District in Seattle......named because the main street is Fremont.

What is wrong with simply keeping it Pendleton Street Arts District?

Where did all these CONTRIVED ideas come from that seem to be taking root in Greenville lately? What made Greenville great was the fact that is wasn't contrived. Did a bunch of suburbanites move into the city recently? Is that what is driving this new small town contrived attitude?

Sorry, but the new name and the logo and, OMG....that horrible tag line, do nothing for the coolness of the area. Those factors actually take away from the coolness. They really feel the need to proclaim the area is "Greenville's Creative Edge"?

Let Pendleton Street grow and morph organically......cool. As is, seems some are simply commercializing the area.....not cool.

We've been through before, most everybody seems to disagree with your viewpoint. While the name is terrible you can't generalize that to all of Greenville, its bad logic.